Beach excursions?

bbiggar

All the real nice beaches are too far from the port. There is one not far from the port but it really isn't recommended for swimming. The beaches have very strong currants. They are mainly for surfing. Our group went on a canal tour and stopped at a beach but we did not go in the water. The kids just played in the sand.

There is Playa Bonita, 10 minutes north of Limon with a cab. But better only take a drink there, relax a bit and bathe the feet only. There are rocks in the water and strong waves, sometimes there can be rip currents.

The other option is to go down to Cahuita national park (a 45 minute drive). But please register at the entrance and let the staff tell you were it is safe to swim. Not a the entrance, there you have the red flag zone! Walk in 500m and you will meet the green flags, there it will be safe to swim. If you are lucky you can also watch the howler and the white-faced capucin monkey.

When you feel more like a touristic village you can also go down to Puerto Viejo (about 1 hour drive). Ask the local people there where it is good to swim and where to surf.

Very beautiful, but already an 90 min. drive way, there is Manzanillo, a laid back fisherman village. There you can swim and snorkel as well.

From what I know there are no beach excursions available. The weather in the Caribbean is sometimes nice and sometimes rainy. But when you reach and you have a sunny day, you can take a taxi or a van at the Limon port.

Costa Rica is not a safe place to swim according to a US government travel advisory.

If you do go to a beach for swimming, snorkeling, etc I would only go on a ship sponsored excursion. That way you will know that you are going to a safe place. As I recall there were no such excursions on Princess Coral when we went to Costa Rica...but tyhen I wasn't looking for them.

I'm so confused I had heard there were beautiful beaches but then no excursions :confused:

Can I ask what you guys did when you were there? We are on Carnival but I am sure they all offer about the same excursions; what did you think of Costa Rica

Thanks

dst- most of the beautiful beaches are on the pacific side. The ships dock on the caribbean side. It is a long drive to get to them and carnival usually isn't in port that long. Half of our group went white water rafting and the other half took a canal tour and then went to Bonita beach for awhile. The beach is not that safe to swim. The kids just played in the sand.

dst- most of the beautiful beaches are on the pacific side. The ships dock on the caribbean side. It is a long drive to get to them and carnival usually isn't in port that long. Half of our group went white water rafting and the other half took a canal tour and then went to Bonita beach for awhile. The beach is not that safe to swim. The kids just played in the sand.

How did they like the white water rafting, would that be good in January?

Thanks for the info, looks like beach days will have to be other ports :(

The river rafting was fun. The only thing I can say about it is if anybody has hip problems they can have trouble or be sore the next day. You do have to sit down in the raft alot if the waves are too big and strong. There is alot of up and down in the raft. We went this past January and the water was fine. The river is dam controlled. I would just make sure if you use a private tour company that they speak English well. That is were our problem was.

Our other half loved the canal ride. A couple from our group also did a pineapple plantation tour. They loved it.

Yes, they give you life jackets and helmets to wear. Just make sure your tour company goes over all the safety rules and commands because there is a good chance someone will fall out of the raft. Don't be afraid to ask your guide questions. It is really fun but kind of scary the first time. Just be relaxed and don't tense up and listen to the guide and you will have a great time.

• 1 month later...

I am currently booked on a Jet Ski tour with Oscar Brown Tours. I'm not sure what beach it is but the description states that it is in Reinas which is about 20mins from the pier. From what I've read about the beaches on that side of the island I mainly just plan to Jet Ski and relax in the sun, not swim.

Archived