Lobster Question

I'mwithhim

both le bistro and cagney's have 2 prices for their entrees..in cagney's the "steakhouse specials" are now $30..that includes the lobster, surf & turf and the bigger cuts of steak, like a porterhouse. the rest of the menu is $20.

I am not as close to the lobster as you are, but being in New England it is always available and I agree. I have always been surprised how excited people get on these boards about the lobster night, and I guess with 2.0 it will be every night. But with family in Colorado, I know it is much more exciting when it is not so readily available. But they still don't order it on ship because they know how good it is here in New England. Different strokes ... because as mentioned on another thread, I get excited when I go to a restaurant that will serve me grits with my breakfast since that is NOT so common around here. NCL has something for everyone.

I agree with you on the grits deal.....I love them and they are very very hard to find in a restaurant around here!! I too get excited when they are on the menu!! I think if someone wants to splurge on lobster....go for it....but there is nothing like new england lobster...bake stuffed or with hot drawn butter!!! or a whole darn clam bake!!!

Being from Cape Cod and have eaten a lobster or 2:D let me say that all the lobsters on the cruise ships are frozen before served. New England Lobsters are the best tasting in my opinion and are best served fresh NEVER frozen! The spine lobster (caribbean, warm water) lobster to me has less than a desirable taste. I understand that people from other areas of country do not get the pleasure of getting lobsters but this is just my opinion. Also $30.00 for a frozen lobster is not worth it, not just because it's previously frozen, but I am sure it's not more than a 1 1/2lb.

This is not true....we just sailed in Oct on the Star and for $30 I got a live(not frozen) Lobster for $30. In Soho there is a tank full of them and you got to pick your own.

This is not true....we just sailed in Oct on the Star and for $30 I got a live(not frozen) Lobster for $30. In Soho there is a tank full of them and you got to pick your own.

And those are not the caribbean lobsters either! :D (at least they weren't on the Jewel)

If it's live, New England/Maine lobster, at $30.00 extra, can you ask for more than one? (Being a New Englander, I know that a "typical" 1-1/2 lb. lobster does not yield much meat, but two Maine lobsters just might do the trick.) My mouth is watering now. In the middle of summer, I'd almost be begging for mercy. ("Lobster again tionight?) It was approx. $5.00-$6.00/lb last summer

If it's live, New England/Maine lobster, at $30.00 extra, can you ask for more than one? (Being a New Englander, I know that a "typical" 1-1/2 lb. lobster does not yield much meat, but two Maine lobsters just might do the trick.) My mouth is watering now. In the middle of summer, I'd almost be begging for mercy. ("Lobster again tionight?) It was approx. $5.00-$6.00/lb last summer

LOL.. you sound like my DH. We are from Nova Scotia and lobster isn't a huge deal for me, as I have had access to it all my life, growing up in a sea coast village. The DH is a city boy and he LOVES lobster.. he sounds like you. A 1.5 pound lobster just is a tease for him. :rolleyes: He could eat 3 - 1.5 lb lobsters easily :D.. I on the other hand am satisfied with 1 that size.

But like some others here, being from the East Coast of Canada, and having fresh live lobsters all my life, I wouldn't be willing to pay $30 for 1 frozen lobster. I might be willing to fork over the cash if I knew they were fresh since it would be a treat eating lobster on our first cruise. :)

I will wager they were not Maine or New England Lobsters!;)

I will wager they were not Maine or New England Lobsters!;)

You just might lose that bet. But possibly not-The American Lobster can be found from Newfoundland to North Carolina. So New England isn't the only place they could be from (and still be the same variety)

the ones in the tank were with claws, not rock lobsters.

That's been my experience on ships with live tanks as well. Everything I can find says that the American (or True) Lobster (as some like to call them) are the only ones with claws (which the spiny or rock lobsters don't have)

Might there be a lobsterman on the board that could enlighten us all more accurately???

Being from Cape Cod and have eaten a lobster or 2:D let me say that all the lobsters on the cruise ships are frozen before served. New England Lobsters are the best tasting in my opinion and are best served fresh NEVER frozen! The spine lobster (caribbean, warm water) lobster to me has less than a desirable taste. I understand that people from other areas of country do not get the pleasure of getting lobsters but this is just my opinion. Also $30.00 for a frozen lobster is not worth it, not just because it's previously frozen, but I am sure it's not more than a 1 1/2lb.

I have to agree with you about the lobster on cruise ships. It is not what I am used to when I am at home. I do not usually order lobster when I am on a cruise because we always eat it fresh at home. We still find plenty of good things to eat.

both le bistro and cagney's have 2 prices for their entrees..in cagney's the "steakhouse specials" are now $30..that includes the lobster, surf & turf and the bigger cuts of steak, like a porterhouse. the rest of the menu is $20.

Is this on top of the cover charge?

You just might lose that bet. But possibly not-The American Lobster can be found from Newfoundland to North Carolina. So New England isn't the only place they could be from (and still be the same variety)

That's been my experience on ships with live tanks as well. Everything I can find says that the American (or True) Lobster (as some like to call them) are the only ones with claws (which the spiny or rock lobsters don't have)

Might there be a lobsterman on the board that could enlighten us all more accurately???

The main reason I say New England or Maine Lobster is one year we sailed with Celebrity and they falsely advertised Maine Lobster for the seafood dish one evening. In my opinion by taste that the colder the water the better tasting lobster you will get. To each their own enjoy!

The main reason I say New England or Maine Lobster is one year we sailed with Celebrity and they falsely advertised Maine Lobster for the seafood dish one evening. In my opinion by taste that the colder the water the better tasting lobster you will get.

Not questioning the water temp item at all.

Sounds as if that Celebrity cruise used lobsters with claws but not from Maine. I'm wondering how we (who aren't from the NE) can tell where in that region (down to the Carolinas) the lobster may be from if it has claws?

Not questioning the water temp item at all.

Sounds as if that Celebrity cruise used lobsters with claws but not from Maine. I'm wondering how we (who aren't from the NE) can tell where in that region (down to the Carolinas) the lobster may be from if it has claws?

That's a good question:) Some will tell you the harder the shell the better tasting lobster. Their shell gets soft (molting) and again some will say that softer shell lobsters aren't as good. To me a fresh lobster no matter what, cooked correctly is the best!!!;)

That's a good question:) Some will tell you the harder the shell the better tasting lobster. Their shell gets soft (molting) and again some will say that softer shell lobsters aren't as good. To me a fresh lobster no matter what, cooked correctly is the best!!!;)

Thanks. Sounds like we're fine with the live tank (moving means fresh!) :D and it's always been good to me in the past!

I believe there is some enzyme in lobster that when once dead, the meat decays rapidly (explaining why fresh is best). And if frozen, they should be flash frozen immediately (but even that won't prevent some loss of flavor)

Archived