Serenade in Hawaii

Never done Serenade in Hawaii but have done Radiance and the captain made a complete 360 degree turn so both sides could see it. I really didn't think it was much of a big deal. All you could see was some red lava running into the ocean and the steam coming up from the water. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that.

Well, I have some good news and some bad news....... To be honest, the Serenade does not always go 'past' the active flow of the Volcano on the Big Island based upon our experience. That is, we have gone past it only one out of our two cruises to Hawaii. :( We were never able to learn why we did not go past it in 2005....other than "Captain's choice"!!! When we went past it in 2004, we did 'spin' around as I recall. ;)

This may be somewhat different now as our two cruises were one-way itineraries, not the current round trip.

Bruce

Never done Serenade in Hawaii but have done Radiance and the captain made a complete 360 degree turn so both sides could see it. I really didn't think it was much of a big deal. All you could see was some red lava running into the ocean and the steam coming up from the water. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that.

Does anyone know if the captain turns the ship when passing the volcano on the Big Island? If not -- which side is the preferred side for a cabin?

Thanks!

I see the above on our upcoming May Radiance cruise itinerary which is one of two 10 night one way cruises but the Oct.08 15 night Serenade Hawaii cruise itinerary doesn't show it doing this.

I was wondering about this also as we have been assigned a starboard cabin for guarantee balcony booking. The route map shows a south of the island passage which would indicate a port side cabin would be best.

Concerning on what you see it is all depend on how active the Kilauea crater and the surrounding subcraters are at that time. Go to http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

We did the 14 day Radiance Hawaii and got close to the lava...close as in I could see the riverlets flowing! and by zoom camera some dynamite pictures. Up on deck is the place! about midnight......they also had a buffet on deck that night. We did some turning but out in the open with nature was for us to be!

And yep not all of them do it.

Lou

So -- has anyone done this recently (like last year or so???). The itinerary says "Mount Kilauea - Evening Sail" - so, I'm guessing the ship should sail past the volcano. Anyone??? Thanks!

Since it is on your itinerary, I would say it is a much better bet. ;) It was NOT on either of our itineraries. As Lou said above, your 'best' view is going to be out on deck. It is late evening, so if you turn in early, sorry you will miss this!!!

Bruce

There is currently NO lava flowing to the ocean right now. That flow shutoff some time last summer (June, I think). The ships typically haven't been doing the cruiseby because there is no lava to see. Of course, if your ship is actually going overnight between Hilo and Kona or vice-versa and would be going that way anyway, then you'll be cruising by the south end of the island and Kilauea. I believe that there have been sporadic reports of seeing tiny red glows, but that's it. (The only way to see the active flow these days is by air.)

beachchick

Archived