What was your favorite excursion in Curacao

BluIDblonde

On Rhapsody several years ago we did a shark feeding excursion that was very fun. One of our photos actually turned out to be our Christmas card that year. I've never been fond of swimming out to sharks and "bothering them" but this was a fairly sheltered environment.

We were in a tank of sorts that was supplied by ocean water. In the tank were stingray, tarpin, and other colorful fish. It was part of an aquarium complex. Behind a chainlink fence and plexiglass wall were the lemon and nurse sharks. They were in ocean water too, but came in to feed from our fish supply. We used SCUBA gear since we were in about 12-15 feet of water and needed to stay underwater. We had belt canisters filled with sardines that we put through the holes of the plexi. If we wiggled the fish, the sharks would come up and grab it away.

On the other side of the tank, behind another fence were very large turtles and we just spend a little time watching them. All in all, it was a fun, safe encounter with something I've always been afraid of.

It seems like there's so much to do in Curacao. I've been three times. The first time, 23 years ago, I did an island tour. The second time, four years ago, I knew some of the things I wanted to see again or show my DH and they were within walking distance of the ship -- the old synagogue, things like that. We also sat for a long time in a cafe in town babysitting iguanas (strange story about those), people-watching and sipping cold Amstel (made on the island). Last time I was there was last Nov. A friend and I took a tour of the island because I wanted to see how it had changed since my first visit there. Wow!

If you decide to do an island tour, I would recommend you get off the ship and take one of the tours leaving from outside the terminal for $15 per person. I thought it was well worth it.

We always enjoyed our stops in Curacao! Really a beautiful port! Because of your 19 year old son, you may want to consider some sort of water activity.

The Snorkel Tour offered by RCI was so much better than we expected! Saw tons of colorful fish with no effort at all!

On an upcoming cruise in January we are planning to spend the day at the beach. Here are two threads in the Curacao Ports of Call section that may be of interest:

Seaquarium Beach

Kontiki Beach Club

Hope this helps a little. Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived