Spencer Ambrose tours????

Sgt. Jeff

I just yesterday booked with Spencer for December based on all the great reviews I read. Your experience sounds awful. Did you express your disappointment to him? Now I'm a little worried about our tour because Jalousie Beach was the place we were most looking forward too. In fact, we had already told him that we wanted to skip the volcano to have several hours at the beach.

I would love to hear from anyone else about your experience with the tour.

I have read some of the complaints about Spencer's tour and would like to share my experience. To be fair, there were 3 vans that went at the same time and Spencer drove the one I was in so I cannot say anything about the other drivers. Spencer was by all accounts a very pleasant and interesting man. He shared his facinating personal story and strong Christian faith with us. That alone was enough to make the tour memorable. He explained many interesting facts about St. Lucia.

Some people have posted that they were disappointed because the tour did not spend a much time at each place listed in the description. All I can say is that while Spencer is a very good tour guide, he is NOT a master of time and space. Our ship, the Carnival Miracle was much later getting into port than was expected. There is nothing Spencer or anyone else could do to change that. He did however explain the situation to us upfront and offered us choices. Some people wanted to go to the volcano more than the beach and vice versa. He rearranged the passengers to allow everyone to do what they wanted given the available time. My only suggestion for Spencer would be to let people know when they book the tour that what they will see is depends on when the their ship arrives.

When we got to the beach, we were short on time and some people on the tour wanted to take the water taxi all the way back to the ship to avoid the longer bus ride. Spencer had no problem with that and helped make arrangements for the water taxi to pickup us up at the beach and take us all the way back to the beach. This was all explained throughly. He even make sure that someone in our group who had a purchased item in one of the vans could pick it up at the ship even though she took the water taxi back. The negotiated price was $20/person extra, which I thought was very reasonable considering it allowed us spend an extra hour at the beach. If time at the beach is your paramount consideration, you might want to inquire about this possibility at the time you book the tour.

The van ride route was on moderately windy mountain roads, but I do not think there was an alternate route. The ride did not bother me in the slightest, but if you a prone to car sickness, I would recommend you take Marezine BEFORE you leave the ship. Again, I'm not sure what Spencer can do about this.

Bottom line: I highly recommend this tour.

No one argued that the ship was late, our issues lied with on top of getting off the ship late we had to wait for late comers. I am glad that you had Spencer, we had him on our way back to the ship and he spoke more in that short amount of time than Chris did the entire tour. I am guessing you were in the van to the beach with us since most everyone on this tour was from our busy Roll Call but since your post count is 1 I have no idea who you are but at no time prior to heading to the beach did Spencer say we can go to the beach but we will only have twenty five minutes to swim/snorkel or I could assure you we would have declined the offer.

Spencer clearly runs a successful tour business but that doesn't mean that he isn't occasionally going to have issues with regards to customer satisfaction, some of those can be controlled while others cannot. Spencer should really consider including some additional wording in his replies stating that he may not be your tour guide since I was pretty sure I was touring with him based on his replies. He should also give a time limit on how long he will wait for those who have booked out of fairness to those who are on time. His tour guides should be prepared ahead of time for the tours and not stopping enroute at our expense to pick up items. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and I am looking forward to his reply, I am sure he was having an off day however that doesn't take away from the fact that many of us felt like we didn't get what we paid.

I am glad you had a wonderful time, I wish our experience was the same.

To those who inquired about whether or not Spencer has replied, he has not but if I don't hear from him by Friday I will resend my concerns.

No one argued that the ship was late, our issues lied with on top of getting off the ship late we had to wait for late comers. I am glad that you had Spencer, we had him on our way back to the ship and he spoke more in that short amount of time than Chris did the entire tour. I am guessing you were in the van to the beach with us since most everyone on this tour was from our busy Roll Call but since your post count is 1 I have no idea who you are but at no time prior to heading to the beach did Spencer say we can go to the beach but we will only have twenty five minutes to swim/snorkel or I could assure you we would have declined the offer.

Spencer clearly runs a successful tour business but that doesn't mean that he isn't occasionally going to have issues with regards to customer satisfaction, some of those can be controlled while others cannot. Spencer should really consider including some additional wording in his replies stating that he may not be your tour guide since I was pretty sure I was touring with him based on his replies. He should also give a time limit on how long he will wait for those who have booked out of fairness to those who are on time. His tour guides should be prepared ahead of time for the tours and not stopping enroute at our expense to pick up items. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and I am looking forward to his reply, I am sure he was having an off day however that doesn't take away from the fact that many of us felt like we didn't get what we paid.

To those who inquired about whether or not Spencer has replied, he has not but if I don't hear from him by Friday I will resend my concerns.

We know from our past experiences with Spencer, that he always responded back to our questions within a day. Since you have not heard back from him yet, there is a good chance that he never received your email as I am sure if he had, he would want to address these issues with you and not ignore it. Did you email him at his new address? spencer7114@gmail.com

Personally, I wouldn't wait until Friday. I would email him again.

We know from our past experiences with Spencer, that he always responded back to our questions within a day. Since you have not heard back from him yet, there is a good chance that he never received your email as I am sure if he had, he would want to address these issues with you and not ignore it. Did you email him at his new address? spencer7114@gmail.com

Personally, I wouldn't wait until Friday. I would email him again.

His response to me indicated that he had not yet been contacted to his knowledge, as I contacted him when I saw this thread:

Hi Spencer,

I am so excited for your tour, but I would be lying if I didn't mention that a recent post (#214 on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=718495&page=6 ) on cruise critic has me a little concerned. Have you seen this thread?

I am hopeful that this is just a one-time occurrence, and that you will be able to set my mind at ease, as your tour is the one that I am most anticipating with this cruise!

Thanks again,

Hi ZZZ

Thanks for emailing me and sharing your concern and I agree with you it is cause for concern. This problem arose because one the ship was late and I was using this new man Chris for the first time... It maybe the last time too. I take pride in my work and push myself to the limit to take care of my clients and I don't want this kind of happening. I just wish the persons who complained had just come out straight as you and tell me they was dissatisfied. I would have handled it right there and then(refund them)

Out of my hundreds of customers this makes the third time people have been dissatisfied and each time I take care of it.Chris have been into taxi and tours for donkey years and I too am surprise that he did not take care of my people . I am addressing it and will see to it this don't happen again. Apart from Chris I had my cousin John, and my 2 brothers working with me for that day and he was the only tour I got a negative review about.

Have no fear you will have a good time with me here.I promise you qwill be safe with me.

God Bless you.

I was on that tour with Spenser as well and he was my driver.

I agree that maybe some things should have been (and can be for future tours) clarified further. Such as some things may be cut out or you may be asked to choose which you want to do if the ship arrives late. That Spenser may or may NOT be your driver, depending on how many book, and that a specific time to depart should be set, maybe 30 minutes after ship arrives and no longer, and if you are not there he will leave without you. I am going to email Spenser with these suggestions as well.

Spenser must had said that we'd only be able to spend a short time at the beach on the way to the beach, since on the way over the idea of taking the water taxi back was brought up.

I'd also like to see him offer the return trip by water taxi on a regular basis, even if he has to charge more. We came back that way and it was fabulous and totally worth the extra $20! We got to spend a lot of time at Jalousie beach - beautiful, warm, clear water, hardly anyone there - it was WONDERFUL and the best part was not having to go back over those windy roads! I cannot blame Spenser for those, however, and I'm sure every other "island" tour travels these same roads. I tend to get very car sick and I came prepared. I took my meds before I got off the ship and sat near the front. I was fine but if given the choice I would take the water taxi back again. It saved a good 45 minutes over the bus return.

I think our trip was very unusual in that we got in a lot later than he expected and that threw the whole schedule off. Plus him having a new guy ....

Jalouise beach is not to be missed!

Thanks for your input. I have heard before that Jalousie Beach is not to be missed. I am going to email Spencer and inquire about the water taxi back.

I was on that tour with Spenser as well and he was my driver.

I agree that maybe some things should have been (and can be for future tours) clarified further. Such as some things may be cut out or you may be asked to choose which you want to do if the ship arrives late. That Spenser may or may NOT be your driver, depending on how many book, and that a specific time to depart should be set, maybe 30 minutes after ship arrives and no longer, and if you are not there he will leave without you. I am going to email Spenser with these suggestions as well.

Spenser must had said that we'd only be able to spend a short time at the beach on the way to the beach, since on the way over the idea of taking the water taxi back was brought up.

I'd also like to see him offer the return trip by water taxi on a regular basis, even if he has to charge more. We came back that way and it was fabulous and totally worth the extra $20! We got to spend a lot of time at Jalousie beach - beautiful, warm, clear water, hardly anyone there - it was WONDERFUL and the best part was not having to go back over those windy roads! I cannot blame Spenser for those, however, and I'm sure every other "island" tour travels these same roads. I tend to get very car sick and I came prepared. I took my meds before I got off the ship and sat near the front. I was fine but if given the choice I would take the water taxi back again. It saved a good 45 minutes over the bus return.

I think our trip was very unusual in that we got in a lot later than he expected and that threw the whole schedule off. Plus him having a new guy ....

Jalouise beach is not to be missed!

I am not really sure why a negative experience is so hard for some to swallow:confused: It happens every day in life, you visit a restaurant that your friends have raved about only to have horrible service and a lousy meal, do you mention to those who raved and to others as well...you absolutely do! When you see a bad movie do you tell people you loved it or are you honest?

Spencer is in the business, he knows there are ups/downs and sadly we were affected negatively by his new hire. I am sorry that some of you are so disturbed that a few people had a bad experience, no one is saying "DON'T USE SPENCER" we're simply saying he should clarify some points and that there is room for improvement.

I have been on CC for almost nine years and I am always fair in my reviews, if they are good I share it and if they are bad I share it and offer suggestions for improvement and I ALWAYS send a letter or email stating my good/bad experience. A good business person will always value a letter whether it's a compliment or a complaint.

I find it highly unlikely that if some of you were in the van that day and sat through a tour where the person that was supposed to be sharing vital island history barely spoke a work you too wouldn't be a bit bummed out.

This board is for sharing info and my cruise was awesome, I had an amazing time however I didn't love this tour and I am allowed to share that info.

To those who are so quick to jump all over my negative experience would you be happy if you got a confirmation back saying your tour is confirmed and your driver is Chris after hearing what our experience was?

Like I have said I am quite sure Spencer will address this and according to the response he sent someone he is addressing it, if he thought our issues were moot do you think he would be addressing it at all? Yes I did resend the email and will be sure to let you all know what he said, for those of you who have tours planned don't stress it, ask questions and see if you can get Spencer personally :)

I have read some of the complaints about Spencer's tour and would like to share my experience. To be fair, there were 3 vans that went at the same time and Spencer drove the one I was in so I cannot say anything about the other drivers. Spencer was by all accounts a very pleasant and interesting man. He shared his facinating personal story and strong Christian faith with us. That alone was enough to make the tour memorable. He explained many interesting facts about St. Lucia.

Some people have posted that they were disappointed because the tour did not spend a much time at each place listed in the description. All I can say is that while Spencer is a very good tour guide, he is NOT a master of time and space. Our ship, the Carnival Miracle was much later getting into port than was expected. There is nothing Spencer or anyone else could do to change that. He did however explain the situation to us upfront and offered us choices. Some people wanted to go to the volcano more than the beach and vice versa. He rearranged the passengers to allow everyone to do what they wanted given the available time. My only suggestion for Spencer would be to let people know when they book the tour that what they will see is depends on when the their ship arrives.

When we got to the beach, we were short on time and some people on the tour wanted to take the water taxi all the way back to the ship to avoid the longer bus ride. Spencer had no problem with that and helped make arrangements for the water taxi to pickup us up at the beach and take us all the way back to the beach. This was all explained throughly. He even make sure that someone in our group who had a purchased item in one of the vans could pick it up at the ship even though she took the water taxi back. The negotiated price was $20/person extra, which I thought was very reasonable considering it allowed us spend an extra hour at the beach. If time at the beach is your paramount consideration, you might want to inquire about this possibility at the time you book the tour.

The van ride route was on moderately windy mountain roads, but I do not think there was an alternate route. The ride did not bother me in the slightest, but if you a prone to car sickness, I would recommend you take Marezine BEFORE you leave the ship. Again, I'm not sure what Spencer can do about this.

Bottom line: I highly recommend this tour.

We toured with Spencer and only went to the bread bakery, volcano and then to the Jalousie beach. We stayed there a couple of hours. He took us where we wanted to go. Yest the roads and curvy, All of the roads are that way we have been to St Lucia many times on cruises. If you get really bad car sick don't take a tour. I get car sick I took Bonine and I was fine. I live in mountains and some roads here I can not go on. The Beach at the Pitons is beautiful. If you eat there it is not cheap, take your credit card. The food was great though. He expects everyone to be on time, as do your fellow people on the tour. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour. I have never heard a complaint until today.

For those waiting on my response from Spencer I will say that I rec'd a lengthy reply from and I feel like he is genuinely sorry for our experience and for Chris' performance the day of our tour. Not once did Spencer try to downplay how we felt or to make excuses. Spencer offered to reimburse me but I declined and explained that I would rather see him utilize some of our suggestions and that I think what happened was a fluke, I think he will either train Chris a bit more or possibly not use him at all but either way I feel satisfied and I am happy that I wrote to him.

For those waiting on my response from Spencer I will say that I rec'd a lengthy reply from and I feel like he is genuinely sorry for our experience and for Chris' performance the day of our tour.

Many thanks for keeping us informed. I am certain that thanks to you others will not have such an unfortunate experience.

I emailed Spencer this morning and asked him to be specific about what exactly would able to see and do as we a group of six using his tour next

Wednesday. I received a nice professional response , just sounds like such a great guy! He stated that because of prior complaints from punctual people

that he as of now embarks promptly at 8:30 am . I think he truly was trying not to leave reserved people behind , sure it is a money loss , but I think he genuinely feels an obligation to give everyone he books a memorable day .

I also asked if it would give us more beach time could we take the boat back. He stated that if we did that we wouldn't be missing much except an hour and a half ride back , where as the boat takes 30 minutes . He is looking into

negotiating a price for me as the more people it gets more reasonable . Any one going on Spencer's tour next week or if you would like to and are interested in a boat ride back email him and let him know . I am so glad I am booked with Spencer , the guy is a jewel . I'll post when I return on the 17th

of nov .

Or rather with his cousin, John, who was our van/tour guide, because we had such a large group. John was very articulate and good-natured and either was ahead of the other two vans or behind, at varying times. We also stopped, as described, at scenic photo ops and for snacks. We loved the coconut muffins, the hot bread, cassava bread, the bananas. Our lunch was also very good, and seemingly authentic: bbq chicken and pork, rice, a potato-type salad, macaroni, and some kind of peas or beans. Unfortunately, that restaurant offered our only restroom break. We water taxi-ed into Jalousie Beach and that ride was truly spectacular. Previously, Spencer was able to drive in but we much preferred the water approach. Our beach stop was just right, though no bathroom :eek:

For the very winding roads, I had brought along some ginger candy, and shared with our fellow tourists. The van was quite comfortable and pretty new, and held a bottomless cooler of beverages.

At all times, John was a delight and very accommodating. It is obvious that he is very proud to live on St. Lucia. We never felt rushed or thought we were missing out on anything. We opted to skip the volcano.

In conclusion, I felt we had a grand tour of a lovely island. St. Lucia was the one port I particularly wanted to see during our 9-port cruise, and I was not disappointed. We highly recommend Spencer Ambrose tours!

To Whom it may concern!

I have to let you all know about Spencer, who is the most wonderful Tour guide I have ever encountered! I have been on numerous excursions and I have found spencers to have been the Top rated excursion I had been on. I had planned a Cruise Critic tour this past Cruise and I think we were in St Lucia on Oct 30. There were 26 or 28 of us in total. We were all prompt and ready to go. There was 1 couple who did not show and we all left on time and Spencer had kept one of his Men at the dock so if they did show up that they would n't have been left behind and it would n't hold us up at all. We started out with a brief chat on Spencer himself and he told us what would be the agenda for the day. He had coolers full to the brim of Beer, Rum Punch, Water, Soda and Diet Soda. We made our way through the Beautiful island of St Lucia, stopping at the banana plantation, photo ops., Coconut milk sampling, For the brave of heart (holding a snake), listening along the way on the Fishing villages, and all of the history along the way. We stopped at one of the most incredible views of the Pitons for photos, we stopped at an incredible waterfall, which was only a minute walk to and was beautiful. We stopped for a public restroom stop and had lunch also, which consisted of some authentic: bbq chicken and pork, rice, a potato-type salad, macaroni, and some kind of peas or beans and salad. We took boats to Jalousie beach, which was absolutely amazing. We were at the beach for about 1 1/2 hours. The beach was so beautiful and the snorkeling was amazing. Spencer stayed with us the whole time and was very prompted on our times and arrival and departures. I can guarantee that Spencer's tour is worth every dollar spent, along with that, it was very safe and very informational. I will say that Spencer will be a tour guide that I will remember over and over again. Over the past 8 months since my first contact with him, we had exchanged 40 emails. Not only had he been my tour guide, he has become my friend. I would put anything I have on you having a wonderful tour with him. He is a sure bet on a safe, informative and very very enjoyable tour of St Lucia.

Also- along the way he had stopped to get authentic Coconut muffins and special made warm home made buttered bread. Spencer went way above and beyond his Tour guide job, he became a part of your family. He is a sure bet on fun!

We are going on this tour in 1.5 weeks and are so excited. Is there a place to rent snorkel gear at jalouise? I have some first time cruiser/snorkelers and want them to be about to enjoy it.

Also I had emailed after the info since I have 32 people coming with. Spencer apologized about the issue and informed me Chris is no longer with him. I know things happen from time to time but has just emailed him to check. He is so nice and gracious I know we will have a blast

Yes- there is a place to rent gear. Although I would suggest to just buy a pair before you go. You can get them really anywhere for pretty reasonable. Online or at a store. I have a good basic pair that work really good. I do not use fins, just the mask and snorkel. At Jalousie beach I think Spencer said it was $20 or $25 for rental of the snorkel gear.

Any other questions ask away....

Michele

Yes- there is a place to rent gear. Although I would suggest to just buy a pair before you go. You can get them really anywhere for pretty reasonable. Online or at a store. I have a good basic pair that work really good. I do not use fins, just the mask and snorkel. At Jalousie beach I think Spencer said it was $20 or $25 for rental of the snorkel gear.

Any other questions ask away....

Michele

Really that is nuts(PRICE)! My family(dh myself and son) has all their own gear ( I hate the fins too!) When we get to florida the night before Ill take them to get some then. Living in Illinois it would be hard to find those items right now! We leave home in a week so online might not work. Thanks for the info

Any other suggestions for us? We are a big group too, I want to make sure to see the highlights but dont want to waste too much time so we have plenty of beach time. I emailed Spencer this evening about maybe taking the boat back for some of us.

Did you have time to do anything else there, or where you with the tour the whole time then had to get right back on the ship?

Thanks a lot!

Hi-

I actually bought my snorkel at Walmart this time of the year. They were clearanced and all. They worked fine, the only problem was they sometimes fogged, but a little spit in the lens will work that out fine. I have fines but do not use them. If you are taking younger kids, I always bring along little blow up, just to help them float a bit. I do not have that problem at all.

I do not know what tour you are taking but we wanted longer at the beach and did n't do the volcano, which we were told from others in the group that it really wasn't much to see. I would just tell Spencer that you would like more time at the beach, it was sooo beautiful. We didn't have enough time there. Only about 1 1/2 hours. Which wasn't his fault, there was just so much to see and pictures to take. He is the true Gem of the Caribbean. I have never in any of my travels ever experienced such a wonderful man!

You will not be let down!

Enjoy it, it was my favorite Island out of the 9 we visited on our past cruise.

PS- Spencer likes Almonds if you want to bring him a treat. And another cool thing is to bring the Children at the schools, school supplies, cards, paper, crayons, etc.....they have such little things there that we all take for granted here in the states. The look on his face was unforgettable. I wish I would have brought more supplies for the children.

We also want to commend Spencer on the awesome tour he gave us in St. Lucia. Before we left, he checked to see where we wanted to go and what we wanted to see. And he made sure that we did it all. He also said that none of us would go hungry or thirsty with him. How true! It was great tasting native foods and especially the interesting island beers. An added treat was taking the boat to the beach. Since the resort will no longer allow him to drive there, he arranged the boat at no extra charge. It was really beautiful to approach the beach between the pitons from the water. I can't say enough about the wonderful day we spent with him on his beautiful island.:):):)

I actually checked at Walmart and target yesterday :) I may go to the sproting goods store at the mall. I got my 80.00 set there a few yeas ago about this time was way cheap.

Spencer did tell me about the items for the kids. We will all be sure to get some in Florida before we go to the port. What kind of almonds does Spencer like?

Thanks!

(I'm not doubting your account of your tour, TakeMeAway1001. The day we toured from the Victory, Spencer's driver on a HAL ship had to leave some passengers because they were late. It is SO rude for people to book tours and not show up as scheduled, to the inconvenience of the tour operator and fellow passengers).

I would just like to say that last week we had a wonderful tour of St. Lucia with Spencer as our guide. Another couple joined us and were very prompt. Spencer tailored our tour according to our interests (definitely no stop at the snake man). Possibly because of our small group size we were able to see the sights at a nice pace, were never rushed, and saw all that was on the itinerary. It was one of our favorite tours.

We had a large group of people on the tour we did 2 weeks ago. We encouraged everyone to be on time and by some miracle that seemed to work. He left two people and left someone to see if they came later and said they would catch up to us if they did.

What a great trip. When booking the trip we made it quite clear we wanted more time at the beach and to skip the volcano. I had did this the last time here and quite frankly did not feel that the volcano stop was worth it. You need at least 1 1/2 - 2 at the beach if you want to snorkel. Coming into the beach by boat was a picturesque way to see the pitons.

what I liked most about the trip besides the beautiful scenery was Spencer. Learning about his culture and deep faith and love of the island is evident in how he runs his tours.

I did a Cosol tour two years ago and at that time was impressed with him. It was a great tour but in no way compared to Spencers.

What kind of almonds does Spencer like?

Thanks!

ANY KIND!! Actually his wife and daughters also really like them..they are either non existant or hard to find on the island. I live in California where majority of almonds grown come from and with the honeybee death issue, the almond growers are having a hard time getting bees to pollinate their orchards thus prices have gone way up even here.

I got bags of almonds at Trader joes for Spenser and mailed them from home to thank him for our trip. I think I got roasted salted, a honey sesame coated type and something else I forgot. I considered chocolate covered but probably figured with the caribbean heat they would end up a mess.

When I travel next march, I will bring some bags with me.

Hi everyone, we just returned from the Carnival Victory and had booked a tour with Spencer during our St.Lucia stop. We had our tour customized and Spencer was great during our planning stages. We had his cousin John as our guide and rode in a beautiful Lexus for our tour (there was 3 adults and my DS11). John was terrific and very informative!! We definately beat the crowds and loved seeing the island in a relaxing way. Spencer called several times throughout our tour to check in and make sure we were on schedule. I thoroughly enjoyed our day and wouldn't hesitate to book Spencer again!!!

ANY KIND!! Actually his wife and daughters also really like them..they are either non existant or hard to find on the island. I live in California where majority of almonds grown come from and with the honeybee death issue, the almond growers are having a hard time getting bees to pollinate their orchards thus prices have gone way up even here.

I got bags of almonds at Trader joes for Spenser and mailed them from home to thank him for our trip. I think I got roasted salted, a honey sesame coated type and something else I forgot. I considered chocolate covered but probably figured with the caribbean heat they would end up a mess.

When I travel next march, I will bring some bags with me.

Thanks I got him a few really big bags. WE have farm and fleet here and especially around the holidays they carry alot of baking type items so I got him about 2.5 of a few kinds for about 9.00. I have them packed along with the items for he underpriviliged kids.

Is it really worth skipping the volcano??

Archived