SNUBA versus 'Discover Scuba' and recommendations

doyleb

This may be like asking which is your favorite child, but DW and I are taking an Emerald Princess cruise in early 09 and want to either do a SNUBA or 'discover scuba' activity. Our ports of call are as follows; St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua and St. Thomas.

We have no preference for either and are interested in both activities. Any recommendations on the pluses / minus of each and suggestions on what can be done in which of the ports listed above would be most welcome and a great help.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

BD

Snuba is ok. you don't have to wear a air tank, a vest(to hold air tank), no weights to keep you under water. the problem is with snuba you have a limited amount of air hose, so you can't go far away or deep. The other thing with snuba is when i saw it done in St Thomas, there were 5 or 6 people attached to one air tank. So where the group goes you go.

Beginning scuba is just that you learn the basics, then you go out and dive. I think Scuba is better. Granted you have all the equiptment but you can go deeper and potentialy see more things than you would attached to an air hose.

I am a certified diver. So i prefer diving. When i dove in cozumel 3 weeks ago saw a lobster and octopus. I know i never would have saw them if i Snuba. The downside to scuba is price. As a hobby it can be expensive. Snuba cuts costs down alot. Anyone can snuba. I would say try the beginning scuba. worse comes to worse after doing scuba you never do it. At least you will now know that, and there will always be Snuba that you can try somewhere

oh yea i am diving again on my future cruise in belize and honduras.so i can't wait but no matter what you do have fun. Besides if you do the discover scuba you may find a new hobby and do it elsewhere on other vacations

I have to say, I did discover scuba's for years before I got certified. The freedom that it offers under the water just totally outweighs snuba. Scuba is habit forming so why slowly get into doing it? Skip the middle-man and do a discover scuba over snuba. You won't regret it.

Randall

P.S. this is the opinion of a diver that's hooked, other opinions may vary :)

Have you considered taking a class at your local dive shop before your trip. It would be a secure environment to see if you are comfortable breathing underwater in a pool. If you aren't comfortable in a pool, then you won't have much fun in the open ocean. I'm a diver and maybe I'm conservative, but I just see lots of potential for problems with Discover Scuba. So I would either learn to dive before you cruise, or do snuba.

Archived