Can we feed the fish?

ChBoxers800

Haven't been snorkling since my last cruise which was about 15 years ago. At that time, we went on a snorkling excursion. When we were in the water, the guides through some bread to each of us and it was the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed. The fish were EVERYWHERE around us.

On the upcoming cruise, we've booked a snorkle trip in Belize; Rendezvous Caye. Am wondering if we can take some fish food (aka bread) with us and feed the fish or if this is something that is frowned upon?

Haven't been snorkling since my last cruise which was about 15 years ago. At that time, we went on a snorkling excursion. When we were in the water, the guides through some bread to each of us and it was the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed. The fish were EVERYWHERE around us.

On the upcoming cruise, we've booked a snorkle trip in Belize; Rendezvous Caye. Am wondering if we can take some fish food (aka bread) with us and feed the fish or if this is something that is frowned upon?

Hi,

Yes, since bread doesn't grow on a reef it's frowned upon to feed the fish. However, in some areas, the fish have been fed by operators for so long that they've come to depend on the food. In an ideal world, we'd just enjoy them and let them eat the natural food that's kept them healthy for eons. I won't say don't feed them but really you should ask yourself what's the purpose of doing it, especally if it stands a chance of harming them so the next person doesn't get to see all the wonderful fish you saw. If you'd like to feed them, then at least make it a healthy food. There are a few fish foods for sale on the internet dive stores like:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-49/080013/Trident-Sea-Dine-Fish-Food.html

If you want to feed them, then spend a bit of money for the fish, they, and their bellies, will appreciate it in the long run.

Randall

BTW, you know you've opened a can of worms on this topic (no pun intended, well maybe). Use your judgement on this one and don't decide lightly.

Something foreign isn't good for either the natural environment or the fish. Bread and such isn't in their natural diet. As above poster said, if you want to feed the fish there are plenty of fish foods you can buy that are better suited for this. As a matter of fact, I can't remember what snorkeling beach it was (or where? Sorry:o ), but they actually sold fish food right there on the beach for this purpose.

Most snorkeling spots allow you to see the fish without the 'bait'. It's amazing whether you have food or not. Have fun!:)

Thanks for the useful info. I certainly understand why this topic is controversial, that is why I asked.

Think I'll buy some good fish food, take it with me, and see if the guide feels it is appropriate or not at that location.

We did the snorkeling with the sharks in Belize and they threw out chum and stuff, they may do the same where you are snorkeling. I didn't have any fish food that trip, wasn't going to tempt them even more, even if they're only nurse sharks. Besides, I don't think they would have been too pleased with my offerings of tropical flakes:p . Have a great time!

Thanks for the useful info. I certainly understand why this topic is controversial, that is why I asked.

Think I'll buy some good fish food, take it with me, and see if the guide feels it is appropriate or not at that location.

Good answer! :D

Whether you feed them or not I'm sure you'll have a great experience!

Randall

You could always use the old-fashioned method... eat a rich and fatty breakfast or lunch before you go diving or snorkeling. ;)

We used to have one gal in our dive club that could be counted on to be a real fish attractant. 3 or 4 sausage biscuits does not usually make a happy tummy.

Oh... and a chili cheese omelet at 7:00am is still too close to a 1:00pm dive.

DH (my dive buddy) kept filling up his mask laughing uncontrollably as I was belching and grimacing down there about 60 feet or so. He was the one that suggested that I have the omelet, too. (thanks sweetie!)

The best fish feeding I ever saw was on an evening dive down in Key Largo where 3 of our brand-new divers split off from the group and went to an all-you-can eat BBQ joint right before getting on the boat. That one looked like a fish ball with fins.

Of course, I don't know what the nutritional value of that was, but it sure was fun to watch. ;)

Have a great time!

Wendy

You could always use the old-fashioned method... eat a rich and fatty breakfast or lunch before you go diving or snorkeling. ;)

We used to have one gal in our dive club that could be counted on to be a real fish attractant. 3 or 4 sausage biscuits does not usually make a happy tummy.

Oh... and a chili cheese omelet at 7:00am is still too close to a 1:00pm dive.

DH (my dive buddy) kept filling up his mask laughing uncontrollably as I was belching and grimacing down there about 60 feet or so. He was the one that suggested that I have the omelet, too. (thanks sweetie!)

The best fish feeding I ever saw was on an evening dive down in Key Largo where 3 of our brand-new divers split off from the group and went to an all-you-can eat BBQ joint right before getting on the boat. That one looked like a fish ball with fins.

Of course, I don't know what the nutritional value of that was, but it sure was fun to watch. ;)

Have a great time!

Wendy

Oh how true! :) Chumming the water while diving is both really funny (as long as it's not you) and a natural way of feeding the fish. I remember one time snorkeling and someone threw something over the boat causing the fish to swarm. I looked up and said, "hey, do that again" until I realized that it was caused by someone not feeling their best.:o

Randall

You guys don't paint a very pretty picture! We only feed fresh water fish-- but that can be dangerous long term. Fish have been fed so much in our local lake that we now call them piranha perch because they will take chunks out of ears and fingers if they don't get their diver rations.

You guys don't paint a very pretty picture! We only feed fresh water fish-- but that can be dangerous long term. Fish have been fed so much in our local lake that we now call them piranha perch because they will take chunks out of ears and fingers if they don't get their diver rations.

True. Fish that get fed regularly come to equate people with food and can become "insistant" about being fed. In the Caribbean, sargent-major fish can be especially troublesome.

I've experienced this. When I was descending from the surface, I had my hand on the purse valve for the BCD and was holding it above my head so all the air would vent out. As I dropped down through the water dozens of fish rushed in on me and started nibbling at my hand. There were so many fish on me that I totally lost sight of everyone else. It was a little disturbing.

Darrell

On another thread someone is suggesting taking the corn pops cereal in it's handy dandy water proof packaging from the ship to feed the fish.

Makes you wonder:confused:

el tigre

Apparently they're afraid to post that on this thread in fear of being slammed. :D Can you put a link to that thread or post a link to this thread for them? I like a reef where I go to the fish instead of being attacked by them. :)

Thanks,

Randall

Archived