Traveling with one year old

fleeflicker

Hi all,

We will be traveling from Atlanta to Miami for a wonderful cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. We will be flying in to Miami and staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Our question is this. We will be either using a shuttle or taxi from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port. Will we need a car seat or will the provide one. Basically I am just asking how does this work. If we need to take a car seat can someone suggest a good light seat.Thanks for any help

Yep you need your own carseat. One tip about Miami, when you come out of the doors at the baggage claim (into the transportation area) you'll have guys try to grab you and shove you into a shuttle van. Just ignore them and walk up to the spot marked "TAXIS". There will be an airport employee there who will ask how many is in your party. She radios the taxi to the parking spot. Then she will hand you a piece of paper on it with the license number of your taxi and a number to call if you had any issues/problems with your taxi trip.

The taxi is $26 flat fee to the Holiday Inn from the airport.

And I prefer getting our own taxi since dealing with kids AND a car seat isn't something that you feel like being rushed through. And I can tell you, those shuttles try to cram people in and it's a rush. So get your own taxi.

Now, about the car seat, you can check the car seat as baggage at the airport. If it's an FAA approved car seat (few are), and the baby has his/her own seat on the plane, then just use the car seat on the plane. But make sure it's FAA approved or they will try to remove it from you at the plane :eek:

Some of us use a Eddie Bauer Travel Car Seat. But the baby would have to be more than 22lbs. This car seat folds flat in the suitcase. Then you just pull it out at the airport and use it for the taxi. And it takes some practice getting it tight.

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Portable-Bryant-Collection/dp/B000K53TFI

Have a great cruise. We loved Freedom! If you have any questions about the ship let me know. I have lots of pics too.

To Michele (cruisinmama06)

Thank you so much for the reply about the travel carseat.. I have been pouring over these posts trying to decide what to do.. We will be cruising in April and I was so torn because some say don't take because there are no seatbelts and some flaming others for not taking. I really wanted to have something and this looks perfect... Thanks again!!!

Jackie

I'm so glad I read this post...my son is getting close to outgrowing his infant car seat and we're in the market for a new car seat. Would you say that the Eddie Bauer travel seat would be good for everyday use, or is it just something you'd travel with? Thanks, Michelle!

I'm so glad I read this post...my son is getting close to outgrowing his infant car seat and we're in the market for a new car seat. Would you say that the Eddie Bauer travel seat would be good for everyday use, or is it just something you'd travel with? Thanks, Michelle!

JUST travel, no doubt. ;)

For a child who is moving from the infant seat, the best and safest thing to get for every day use is a convertable car seat with a 5pt harness.

That eddie bauer portable is great for quick taxi rides. But I wouldn't feel safe relying on it every day.

And to Jackie - there are seatbelts. Especially in the US taxis for the ride from the airport to the port. Now when you get to the carribean ports, SOME of the taxis don't have sealtbelts. We've found that the shuttle vans seem to have seatbelts more often than not. And if you get a taxi that dosn't have a seatbelt, just wave it on and jump in the next taxi. They are lined up everywhere in the ports.

Thanks, Michelle!

What about in the Mexican Riviera? Do taxis usually have seatbelts? I remember doing a van tour in Mazatlan and it had seatbelts, but I just can't remember if taxis had them.

They are suppose to. The seatbelt laws in Mexico are similiar to those in the US and Canada.

We had seatbelts in a taxi in Cozumel.

Thanks Michele,

We will be going to Cozumel.. We booked the royal swim and Chankanaab Park. We booked it on our own. I am assuming there are plenty of taxis available.. I am a little worried about getting to and from the port since we didn't book through the ship. I think we will have to take the van type taxi because we have 5 in our family. We are also going to Grand Cayman but not sure about an excursion yet. We might just hang out and shop close to port.

Anyway, thanks again. It is sooo appreciated. BTW I love your pics. You guys look like you have a blast. This is our first cruise so I am looking forward to it..

Thanks Michelle for the great idea with that Eddie Bauer seat. I just wanted to let everyone know I found it on sale at this site:

http://www.albeebaby.com/eddie-bauer-portable-car-seat-22915byt.html

I just ordered it so no reviews! I hope to get lots of use out of it in the future too ;) !!

Great price! Remember, try it at home before you try to do it in a taxi. I adjusted all of the straps before we left. :)

Archived