Suit for 16 y/o boy

WeirdEyes

Hi ladies! My son has out-grown his navy blue suit that he wore on his only cruise. We are cruising in May and I need to buy him another suit. He wants a black suit. Do you think a black suit is suitable for a teenager? My DH has a very nice black suit that he looks gorgeous in, but I think DS is a little young for black? Am I wrong in thinking this way and just buy him the black suit like he wants? Thanks!!!

I think he'd look dashing in a black suit. We had a family wedding a couple of months ago and our teenage (um, 14 I think - hard to keep track of them all) nephew was wearing a black suit. Looked very sharp.

My son wore a black suit on our April cruise and he was 12. He's 13 now, and wanted a white dinner jacket for our upcoming October cruise. Black is the color of choice for most teenage boys these days. Go for it...he'll look great!

Thanks for your replies. :) I guess I'll buy him what he wants....maybe he'll wear it more often. He's a big movie nut and ever since "Men In Black" came out, he's wanted a black suit. I actually bought him a black suit when he was a lot younger so he could wear it for Halloween and be one of the "Men In Black." He even did the whole dance routine from Will Smith's song "Men In Black." I got all on video and it is hilarious!

A woman I used to work with did the same thing one year. It was just the absolute cutest. Sunglasses and all.

Just don't get him one of those memory eraser thingies. LOL.

He actually has one from that Halloween. It is one of his old toys that he won't part with. I think he will always be a kid. :D

We got our white dinner jacket and the works from the tuxxman today. Everything fit perfectly. Entire transaction was perfect. We got the jacket, pocket scarf, pants, shirt, studs, cummerbund, bow tie, and shoes for $125. Everything was "after six" brand. I think that is a great deal. He's even going to wear it as "James Bond" at a Halloween party when we get back. What a nut!

WeirdEyes - I wish we were going on the same cruise as you so that I could meet your son. He sounds like he's a total riot.

He will look simply smashing in his black suit and I'm sure he'll be the heartthrob of several young ladies his age during that trip.

I'm sure enjoying reading these posts! I have a 13 year old son (finally hit 13 yesterday...all his uncles and grandpa's took him to "Hooters":rolleyes: ). He loves his tuxes and suits too!!!! It must come from cruising since your boys seem to be the same! This past trip, he "mixed it up" with some wild dress shirts and a musical note vest for one night (he plays guitar and drums). I think it's wonderful that we have given our sons the gift of confidence by teaching them to dress up and feel comfortable doing so! I hope our future daughter in laws will appreciate us! LOL!:p

My son is a riot! He wants to be a stand-up comic. You'd all really get a kick out of him. :D He gets to do a pre-game show for our local radio station before one of our high school games and he wants to interview the Mayor. The questions he wrote to ask him are hilarious. I just hope it all works out.

I wish I could buy him a tux for the cruise, but then he'd be better dressed than his dad. DH wears a black suit and doesn't want a tux. :rolleyes: The $125 for all of the tux stuff is a fantastic price!

Hi Shelia, It sounds like you have a character on your hands too...I am stewing right now over finding out that my son who says his homework is done...is getting a D in algebra and has missing homework assignments!!!! Hopefully his character will get him through life because achademics is not his strong suit!:( It's crackdown time here...I just took away his laptop, and all the cords to his musical equipment. Boy I hate being mean.:o :rolleyes: Tough job being a Mom! Oh, by the way, just get your son the tux shirt and tie set...do you have a Burlington Coat Factory? They are only around $15- for all and with a black suit, they'll give him "the look!"

Nanette

Hi Shelia, It sounds like you have a character on your hands too...I am stewing right now over finding out that my son who says his homework is done...is getting a D in algebra and has missing homework assignments!!!! Hopefully his character will get him through life because achademics is not his strong suit!:( It's crackdown time here...I just took away his laptop, and all the cords to his musical equipment. Boy I hate being mean.:o :rolleyes: Tough job being a Mom! Oh, by the way, just get your son the tux shirt and tie set...do you have a Burlington Coat Factory? They are only around $15- for all and with a black suit, they'll give him "the look!"

Nanette

Nanette, our sons could be the same! The second week of school I got a call from DS's geometry saying that he wasn't doing his homework. Needless to say, we did the same thing you did. I found out he was spending his homework time to write scripts! Now, I only let him write scripts if they are for drama class. I hope I have another Steven Spielburg on my hands because he's going to need to do something creative or he'll be bored to tears.

Also, great idea about the tux shirt/tie set! We have a Burlington Coat Factory. I can get one for DS and DH! Thanks!

Sheilia, it was a pleasure hearing from you! Misery loves company, for sure and creative kid's parents need all the support we can get! ;) Hopefully we're staying one step ahead of them! Sounds like we need to use creative punishment since that's the language they really seem to understand! :D

Archived