America The Beautiful Senior Pass

geospyder

Don't forget if you are 62 or older you can use your America the Beautiful Pass for free entrance to VNP and all other National Parks in Hawaii such as the Arizona Memorial. If you don't have one here is the info from the http://www.nps.gov (National Parks Service site).

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

We will be spending a week on Kauai after our seven day cruise on the POA. We are Geocachers and there are currently 78 caches hidden on Kauai. There is one hidden near the lighthouse that should be an easy find based on the description and rating. There are others that are a wee bit more extreme. Here is the description of one of the more difficult ones:

Get ready for an all day adventure that includes some tricky logistics, spectacular terrain, and a hike thru a mile long tunnel... that's right, a tunnel. We originally discovered this hike while reading the adventures section "The Ultimate Kaua'i Guidebook" and could not pass it up. If you are planning a trip to Kaua'i or already live there, I cannot recommend this book enough: it is an incredible resource, full of great maps, directions, great reviews of the local businesses, and should be considered required for this cache.

The details: the hike itself is about an 8 mile round trip thru jungles, swamps and tunnels, but even getting to the trailhead can be tricky and may require 4WD. The description of the hike in the guidebook is great, so instead of repeating it, go get the book. Parking is along the way to the 'Welcome to Jurassic Park Cache', so read that description for driving directions. Headlamp/flashlights, extra batteries are a must, you will be in the tunnels for over an hour.

Bring plenty of food and water, and appropriate clothing and equipment for a trudge thru the jungle (plan on getting rained on.) There is absolutely no civilization back here, and probably the only people you will see will be in tour helicopters flying overhead. Also, an early start is recommened, wet conditions can make the trail very slow going.

We are a couple of seniors that refuse to grow up. After re-reading the description maybe we should just find a nice beach to soak up the sun. Nah! Life's too short - got to enjoy it while we can.

Don't forget if you are 62 or older you can use your America the Beautiful Pass for free entrance to VNP and all other National Parks in Hawaii such as the Arizona Memorial. If you don't have one here is the info from the http://www.nps.gov (National Parks Service site).

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

I know there is free admission to the Arizona Memorial, but can a pass be purchased there to be used at other national parks.

Also, we will be getting there around 7 in the morning. I know there will be a wait and wondered if they have any food and/or water for sale at the Memoral at Pearl Harbor.

Thanks, Jennie

There's a sort-of food court set up in the parking lot between the AZ Memorial and the Bowfin -- there are places to sit and eat. It's shaded -- I think it was under a really big tent. They had some jewelry and souvenir displays also so you can do a bit of shopping if that's your thing. Within the AZ Memorial complex, there's a gift shop and I think they had food there also. We ate at the food court.

We will be spending a week on Kauai after our seven day cruise on the POA. We are Geocachers and there are currently 78 caches hidden on Kauai. There is one hidden near the lighthouse that should be an easy find based on the description and rating. There are others that are a wee bit more extreme. Here is the description of one of the more difficult ones:

We are a couple of seniors that refuse to grow up. After re-reading the description maybe we should just find a nice beach to soak up the sun. Nah! Life's too short - got to enjoy it while we can.

That sounds so cool! Kauai is gorgeous -- you'll have a blast!

I found this too, but just recently and we are running short on time - do you know if this can be purchased on site at a National Park or if this has to be purchased at a federal building?

Also - in another post you gave me some advice about geocaching - we now have a gps and I have downloaded info about a cache at Diamond head - this will be our first experience with geocaching- I am looking forward to it - thanks for the advice.

Four more days until we leave this very snowy very cold winter behind for 10 days :)

Check to see if there is a national forest ranger station near you. That's where I purchased mine. If not, you can get them at any national park.

Have fun with the Geocaching but beware it can become obsessive :D

BTW - we currently have a snow advisory but it won't be near as much as what you guys get.

Archived