New Itinerary ~ Anyone been to these ports?

lmmn

Colon, Panama

Cartagena, Columbia

Santa Marta, Columbia

also

Aruba

Curacao

Bonaire

Looks like we would fly into Panama City, Panama...anyone have any suggestions for hotel/resort? I would love to get any recommendations on what to do...at especially the Panama & Columbia ports.

Colon, Panama

Cartagena, Columbia

Santa Marta, Columbia

also

Aruba

Curacao

Bonaire

Looks like we would fly into Panama City, Panama...anyone have any suggestions for hotel/resort? I would love to get any recommendations on what to do...at especially the Panama & Columbia ports.

Depending how long you have in Colon you could go over to Panama City - it's a beautiful place and there is lots to do. However, you have to be very careful in Panama. It has an extremely high crime rate. In Colon itself we didn't think much of it. At the time we were staying in a resort about an hour outside of Panama City.

Been to Colon and we were told to make sure we stayed with a ship excursion........and do not leave the gated port area........after going on our excursion and seeing the area,I could understand......its not a town you just walk around the streets....

Been to Colon and we were told to make sure we stayed with a ship excursion........and do not leave the gated port area........after going on our excursion and seeing the area,I could understand......its not a town you just walk around the streets....

We are daredevils and love to do things on our own but in Panama I agree whole-heartedly, unless you are on a ship's excursion I wouldn't venture outside of the gated area. Our excursion went through Colon and I was so thankful we were on an excursion and somewhat safe.

We are daredevils and love to do things on our own but in Panama I agree whole-heartedly, unless you are on a ship's excursion I wouldn't venture outside of the gated area. Our excursion went through Colon and I was so thankful we were on an excursion and somewhat safe.

I'm with you....we rarely do ship excurions,but here it is a ship excursion port or stay on the ship.........

We visited Cartegena last April on Radiance. First time for an RCI ship in 6 years. It is a wonderful port and the people are very, very friendly. They rolled the red carpet out for us with gifts, bands, singers and dancers even the President of Columbia flew down to board the ship.

You can take a shore excursion if you want, but outside of the gated area there are taxi drivers that are government controlled. We learned this from the Port Lecturer. They have the word "taxi" written all over the shirts, though their understanding of the English language is limited. It was $10pp and four of us got a 4 hour tour of old and new Cartegena along with a stop at the craft market which was awesome. The driver took us to places for some amazing photos. We did tip the driver at the end of the tour.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like a guided tour is what we need to look at...is it not safe to go to the beaches on your on at these ports? I'm so used to the caribbean ports and venturing out on our own, it will be tough to have to go on guided tours. However, I do want to make sure we're safe.

Wow, has Panama really changed that much? I was stationed at Howard AFB in Panama in the early 90's. I never felt unsafe in Panama City. Sure, you might run into pickpockets in the city, but you just had to be aware. I rode the buses and taxis quite often. Alot of my fellow Air Force friends also lived in apartments in the city.

Hi Well Since I Am From Colombia And Santa Marta And Cgena Are My Neighbors City I Live In Barranquilla 1 Hour From Either City..

In Cgena That´s My Favorite city... A Visit To The Old City, Take A Carriage Mini Tour Very Nice And Romantic, Go To The Las Bovedas(they Were Long Ago Jailed For Prisioners) Now They Are Shops, If You Want To Have Excellent Lunch Or Dinner In Old City Go To

nena Lela is An Italian Place With A Touch Of Colombian Order An Islas Del Rosario Risotto The Best With A Cocountlemonade!

In Santa Marta Go Visit La Quinta De Sanpedro, That´s A Very Nice Place Were Our Libertor Simon Bolivar Died Very Nice History...or Do You Want Do Exterme Sports?

Let Me Know Whats Your Interested And I Can Help You...

Hi Well Since I Am From Colombia And Santa Marta And Cgena Are My Neighbors City I Live In Barranquilla 1 Hour From Either City..

In Cgena That´s My Favorite city... A Visit To The Old City, Take A Carriage Mini Tour Very Nice And Romantic, Go To The Las Bovedas(they Were Long Ago Jailed For Prisioners) Now They Are Shops, If You Want To Have Excellent Lunch Or Dinner In Old City Go To

nena Lela is An Italian Place With A Touch Of Colombian Order An Islas Del Rosario Risotto The Best With A Cocountlemonade!

In Santa Marta Go Visit La Quinta De Sanpedro, That´s A Very Nice Place Were Our Libertor Simon Bolivar Died Very Nice History...or Do You Want Do Exterme Sports?

Let Me Know Whats Your Interested And I Can Help You...

Wow, has Panama really changed that much? I was stationed at Howard AFB in Panama in the early 90's. I never felt unsafe in Panama City. Sure, you might run into pickpockets in the city, but you just had to be aware. I rode the buses and taxis quite often. Alot of my fellow Air Force friends also lived in apartments in the city.

We're not talking about Panama City....we're talking about Colon!!:eek:

Colon, Panama

Santa Marta, Columbia

also

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

Cartegena

I have been to both of these ports while on active duty US Navy. Curacao was nice and I spent a while on the beach there. cartegena was also a nice stop with lots of historic things to look at.

Depending how long you have in Colon you could go over to Panama City - it's a beautiful place and there is lots to do. However, you have to be very careful in Panama. It has an extremely high crime rate. In Colon itself we didn't think much of it. At the time we were staying in a resort about an hour outside of Panama City.

We're not talking about Panama City....we're talking about Colon!!:eek:

Goodness gracious, what a response, parrothead:eek: ! If you would read the post above, that is why I responded. I thought that my post was relevant.

Hang on a minute....i didnt mean any offense.......you said had Panama changed that much and I was saying Colon was the scary place.......a world of difference from PC.........sorry you took it all the wrong way....

We visited Cartegena last April on Radiance. First time for an RCI ship in 6 years. It is a wonderful port and the people are very, very friendly. They rolled the red carpet out for us with gifts, bands, singers and dancers even the President of Columbia flew down to board the ship.

You can take a shore excursion if you want, but outside of the gated area there are taxi drivers that are government controlled. We learned this from the Port Lecturer. They have the word "taxi" written all over the shirts, though their understanding of the English language is limited. It was $10pp and four of us got a 4 hour tour of old and new Cartegena along with a stop at the craft market which was awesome. The driver took us to places for some amazing photos. We did tip the driver at the end of the tour.

We were on the same cruise with Patti and very much enjoyed Cartegena. We took a tour through the ship and saw quite a bit of the city.

Thank you for all your replies!

Patry ~

Are you familiar with Panama City? Do you know of a nice hotel/resort to stay there? I am going to see if I can find a guide to take us to the places you recommend. I really appreciate your help!

Archived