First time scuba diving

wopper81

ok this is my 2 cents......ihave done all typs of diving

1 my friend reccommended discover scuba in hawaii......i was nervous but,

i fell in love with the diving, we did this 2 times, no idea how deep,i remember clearing my ears alot.

after that experience i went out and got certified, my son is also certified at 12 years old.

i would try the discover scuba, and follow these rules.....breath, never never never hold your breath. if you have your own mask, wash with toothpaste this will help in preventing fog from building,

the BEST thing is to get certified, .

I'm gonna be traveling on the Valor in May, stopping at Nassau, St. Thomas , and St. Maarten. Me and my Dad want to try scuba diving, and I was looking for any suggestions or comments. Thanks alot!!!

Soareyes and Skylock are right. We are talking about resort diving, not tech or cave diving. Also if you get certified, a cruise is an inexpensive way to dive some of the best dive locations in the Caribbean. Just wait until you do a western Caribbean cruise. You will want to dive every port. That is just what we will be doing on the Valor the week before your cruise. So when you get to Miami port and see a cruiser coming down the gang way dragging a dive bag behind him with his bottom lip stuck way out, that will be me.

Wow, all these posts have gotten me scared and I've been a certified diver for 30 years, and an Scuba instructor for for 22. First off Diving is a safe sport, you need common sense and training.

The best course of action is to contact a local dive shop, talk with an instructor and see if they can put you in the pool for a Scuba intro session, this is the same skill set that an Instructor would review with you before you go on the dive for the Discover Scuba excursion. If you have time and you enjoy your local session book your dive class, you can schedule open water dives on your vacation.

If you don't own your own mask and snorkel get those and make sure they fit before you go. The biggest problem with new divers is thier mask leaks because they don't fit( well the one that fit didn't come in a color to match my suit...)

If you don't have time before you go on vacation, do the intro class and enjoy the sights. There are few sights more beautiful on this planet, than a coral reef. Listen to the dive guide, listen to the voice in the back of your head, if you don't feel comfortable let the guide know and let them help you fix it or get you out of the water.

Enjoy your dive, come on back and get certified!

My wive and I were both certifed about 25 years ago and haven't been diving for about 20 years. We decided to do a Snuba excursion to get our feet wet again. There was a lot of instruction. There were two divers with kyaks to carry the cylinders. (The main thing I remember about getting certifed was being told over and over again by the instructor "They're not tanks, they're clylinders - tanks go bang bang". One was rigged for two divers the other for four. We grabbed the one with two and had a great time. We were quite comfortable underwater. The point of my long story is it was fun to watch the other four people who had never been underwater. They kept going up and down like they were yo-yos.

Snuba is also a great intro to Scuba. It's probably a bit safer than the Resort Course for scuba. Around here scuba schools used to offer a free intro class. I remember my intro class. The cylinders were on the pool deck and we sat under about three feet of water breathing through the regualtors. I was enough to get hooked to take the full certification program.

Have fun!

Sounds Like Tony Zimos or Dick Hammes at SanDiego Diver Supply, Old NASDS instructors taught you. At my instructor clinic we were taught Tanks drive over jeeps.

Wow, all these posts have gotten me scared and I've been a certified diver for 30 years, and an Scuba instructor for for 22. First off Diving is a safe sport, you need common sense and training.

The best course of action is to contact a local dive shop, talk with an instructor and see if they can put you in the pool for a Scuba intro session, this is the same skill set that an Instructor would review with you before you go on the dive for the Discover Scuba excursion. If you have time and you enjoy your local session book your dive class, you can schedule open water dives on your vacation.

If you don't own your own mask and snorkel get those and make sure they fit before you go. The biggest problem with new divers is thier mask leaks because they don't fit( well the one that fit didn't come in a color to match my suit...)

If you don't have time before you go on vacation, do the intro class and enjoy the sights. There are few sights more beautiful on this planet, than a coral reef. Listen to the dive guide, listen to the voice in the back of your head, if you don't feel comfortable let the guide know and let them help you fix it or get you out of the water.

Enjoy your dive, come on back and get certified!

2 friends & I did "Discover Scuba" in Belize while on a cruise. We researched the company first and felt very comfortable & safe through the whole experience. The instructor let us go at our own pace & was right beside us at all times. We did not go below 20 feet.

Upon returning home we were signed up to get our certifications before we unpacked. We're certified now because of that experience.

I can not believe people would tell you not to at least try this. I have done beginners scuba 6 times now at Cozumel and there has never been an issue with anyone that was on any of the dives I have been on. It is a marvelous experience - well supervised and well trained. Go for it and let the nay sayers sit on the boat.

DH and I did a Discover Scuba excursion through Carnival in Belize, and I would recommend it if you are interested in pursuing Scuba. It was a wonderful and safe experience! There were a total of six of us on the excursion with two dive instructors. After the introductory class and shallow dive, we split up into groups of three and dove to 30-35 feet deep. The instructors were right there with us, and were very knowlegeable and patient.

Remember, the ship and the dive shop want you to be safe and have a good time! As long as you pay attention, and use common sense you will be fine.

Discover Scuba can be a great way to find out if diving is for you. I would recommend you try it at a stop where you walk into your dive from the beach rather than open ocean from a boat. The beach beginner dives tend to be shallow water dives. I would recommend you stay away from anything over 25' for your discover scuba dive.

Archived