carnival's rule on diving knife??

Trekker954

Cruising on Carnival Destiny shortly. My daughter has a question I hope someone can answer. She has a brand new two inch serrated, very pointy knife in a case attached to her BCD.

I imagine if its in her scuba bag (which she didn't own last year) when we drop off the bag it will make it on the cruise ship. what about each time she leaves the ship to dive.

On RCCL last year, she had no problem until her last dive, when she returned from her last dive, they took her diving knife (not as sharp as this one) and said she'd get it when we left the cruise (what a production that was to get it back and delayed us a good half hour or more). Do most divers carry their knives or leave them at home.

Do youself a favor - get a pair of medical "trauma shears" and have her carry them in her BCD. These are scissors that will cut through almost anything (even a penny) and won't get taken away from her on entry to the cruise ship. You can get them at a medical supply store for about $10 or so. Make sure you ask for the "trauma shears". You can get them online too. This is what I carry when I got diving on cruise ship excursions.

Try this website

http://online.boundtree.com/store/product_index.asp?Cat=&SubCat=&Prod=4000052

Cruising on Carnival Destiny shortly. My daughter has a question I hope someone can answer. She has a brand new two inch serrated, very pointy knife in a case attached to her BCD.

I imagine if its in her scuba bag (which she didn't own last year) when we drop off the bag it will make it on the cruise ship. what about each time she leaves the ship to dive.

On RCCL last year, she had no problem until her last dive, when she returned from her last dive, they took her diving knife (not as sharp as this one) and said she'd get it when we left the cruise (what a production that was to get it back and delayed us a good half hour or more). Do most divers carry their knives or leave them at home.

Hi Linda,

Tell your daughter to leave the dive knife at home & purchasce SEA SNIPS (brand) can be found at your local dive store. they are surgical shears as NeurosurgeryNP has talked about. Sea Snips come with a sheath that can attach to your belt or BCD with a velcro loop to hold them in place or you can go on line & check for OMS shears they are used by TECH Divers, stonger than the snips has a doble handle that rest in your palm to squeeze and will cut a penny three times faster,any type will do. Depends on the environment you will place yourself in . Try web sites like leisurpro.com or scubatoys.com or scuba.com

Most likely she will never have to use them but a cutting tool is part of your diving gear. Have fun.

PADI MSDT Instructor

My wife thought she had left her dive knife at home--it went thru security getting on the ship--then was caught as we got off to dive. Security registered it to her and kept it when we got back aboard and said she could collect it whenever we got off to dive or whatever.

An alarm would sound and they would ask her if she wanted her "weapon" each time we got off in the various ports. Funny really---but she got tired of the attention.

EMT shears will work great, I had some with me in my bc pocket--no problems--and no attention.....

One of the divers on my last cruise had a dive knife. Everytime he got off the ship to go diving it was this big ordeal. The dive master didn't wait for him. We'd meet onboard then head out to meet the boat taking us diving. The guy with the knife was always scrambling to catch up with us and not miss the boat.

Additionally, we disembarked from a different point on the ship once and he had to go without his dive knife.

Realistically, I've never seen anyone needing a dive knife while diving in the Caribbean. I'd recommend she just leave it at home. The suggestion of medical shears is also a good idea.

In 200+ dives, I have taken my BC knife out exactly once, and that was too tap on a rock to make fish show up. I only carry a knife because PADI says I have to when I'm teaching. Leave it at home, and get shears as a couple of people have already suggested.

Dale

PADI OWSI

Archived