Injection on Western Caribbean Cruise

sweetladyjc

I am traveling on Carnival Valors Western Caribbean Cruise and I have heard that in order to go to these countries (Belize, Honduras) you need an injection.

Does anyone know if this is true?

None needed. I have been to Belize twice and Roatan Hon once.

Fred

The U.S. State Department website recommends (but does not require) that all travelers to Honduras take a mosquite-borne illness (malaria) prophylaxis, as well as ensuring their Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Yellow Fever shots are up-to-date. Now, that said, a short visit to Isla Roatan where the cruise ships visit is unlikely to expose you to any of those illnesses, with the exception of possibly malaria, so take your bug spray and use precaution.

This information is mainly for people who are traveling to mainland Honduras for extended periods of time, such as my office-mate who is there right now on a medical mission trip.

Tell your group to enjoy their stop in Roatan and not to worry--just use the same general precautions you would anywhere.

There are no current advisories for Belize, except the generic "dengue fever" (mosquito-borne illness) advisory that is currently in effect for all tropical and subtropical countries in that region.

• 1 year later...

My TA today informed me that Carnival contacted her about me getting a yellow fever shot for my 12/13/09 Western. So, I found this thread in my search looking for info. Doesn't seem to be a big deal if one goes by the number of threads returned in the CC search...

This is from the US government website. Hep A shots are EXPENSIVE and you need to take a series of them:

"The hepatitis A vaccine is given through a shot. Children can get the vaccine after they turn 2 years old. Children aged 2 to 18 will need three shots. The shots are spread out over a year. Adults get two or three shots over 6 to 12 months.

You need all of the shots to be protected. If you are traveling to other countries, make sure you get all the shots before you go. If you miss a shot, call your doctor or clinic right away to set up a new appointment."

That being said, I travel a lot and if I were going to a country on a cruise w/ minimal exposure I sure wouldn't get any shots.

Archived