Athens - Acropolis and Plaka Help

I'm hoping someone will give me advice on visiting the Acropolis and Plaka area with my 81 year old mother during a stop on our Emerald Princess cruise in May. I've booked the "Acropolis and Plaka Sampler" with the idea that if we get there and my mother is unable to climb the steps, I can wait with her while my husband goes to the top. Does anyone know if there is somewhere she could sit and rest? Would it be safe to leave her alone? Is it possible for us to walk on to the Plaka area while the others are on the tour? I'm torn between staying with my mother and seeing the Acropolis with my husband! Help!

Thanks for any helpful advice or additional suggestions!

Debbie

In the Acropolis there are many many marble benches for resting. There's alot (IMO) of steps to climb and it can be considered somewhat dangerous footing, one must be very careful. The stones are quite slick too.

Walking to the Plaka is a slight hike imo. . . .we had a driver so I really am just quessing, it looked like a little hike. But don't miss it. . . . . . have lunch and shop there, a good memory

CIAO, ;)

The tour bus will drop you off a fair way up the hill to the Acroplois. There are still a number of stairs or grades to go up before entering the Acropolis site itself. Depending on your mothers mobility she may be able to get up to it. There are refreshment type areas in this drop off/entrance area she may be able to stay in but that will have to be a personal choice you and her will need to make. On some tours we have been on some people simply stay on the bus. That may not be an option however.There is a lift up to the Acroplis on the West (I think) face. I am not sure how or for whom it operates or a cost but we did see it operation. Check the website for accessibility.

As for the Plaka that is an entire district. I suspect they will drop you off near the Parliament Buildings and Syntagma Square. She should be able to get around in the Plaka. There are some minor grades but generally very pedestrian.

Both the Acropolis & Plaka shouldn't be missed. The Acropolis is an amazing sight.

Both of the previous respondants are correct. There a number of steps and uneven surfaces leading up to and on top of the Acropolis. Lots of slick surfaces. I saw a number of falls when we were there. But, I wouldn't hesitate to go back and wouldn't miss it for the world. Also, it can get quite warm. Best to go as early as you can. Tempature and crowds grow early. Bummer is the Museum doesn't open until 10 or 11.

Plaka is more flat, with a few minor grades as the previous person said.

hope you can make it and enjoy - one of the top highlights of our Cruise, and we weren't even on the ship yet.

Be sure that you tell princess in advance of your mother's limitations to be sure that they will make arrangements so that she can see the Acropolis.

On the other hand--if it is not too late to make changes--have you considered hiring a private driver for this visit? there have been several good reports here on cc and it might be worth considering.

Thank you all very much for the detailed, helpful information. This cruise is my mother's dream vacation, and she'll have wonderful memories even if she can't see or do everything. She wouldn't hesitate to tell me to leave her behind for the Acropolis tour, but I don't think I could do that unless I knew she would be safe and comfortable. If there is a cafe or restaurant near the entrance, do people come back down the same steps? (It may seem like a silly question, but I just toured Mayan ruins and we went up one side and down another!)

Thanks again!

Debbie

For what it is worth. On our cruise in June we had a fellow passenger who was in a motorized scooter. She went to the top of the Acropolis in an elevator. As you face the entrance it is somewhere way over to the left. At least you now know it exists.

For what it is worth. On our cruise in June we had a fellow passenger who was in a motorized scooter. She went to the top of the Acropolis in an elevator. As you face the entrance it is somewhere way over to the left. At least you now know it exists.

The links I included above mention the need to reserve the elevator in advance... not sure if this is always necessary or if they will take people without reservations if it's not too busy?

... If there is a cafe or restaurant near the entrance, do people come back down the same steps?...

Yes, there is a resturant near by. (nice view of the Acropolis too) But, it's not immediatly at the entrance.

Not sure if there is another exit or not. Seems I remember folks coming down the same way they went up.

I'm hoping someone will give me advice on visiting the Acropolis and Plaka area with my 81 year old mother during a stop on our Emerald Princess cruise in May. I've booked the "Acropolis and Plaka Sampler" with the idea that if we get there and my mother is unable to climb the steps, I can wait with her while my husband goes to the top. Does anyone know if there is somewhere she could sit and rest? Would it be safe to leave her alone? Is it possible for us to walk on to the Plaka area while the others are on the tour? I'm torn between staying with my mother and seeing the Acropolis with my husband! Help!

Thanks for any helpful advice or additional suggestions!

Debbie

Since there are 3 of you ,you might look at a private tour guide to take you around Athens ,much easier to do then on a bus with 30 others

Since there are 3 of you ,you might look at a private tour guide to take you around Athens ,much easier to do then on a bus with 30 others

I totally agree with this. Private tours are readily available with lots of recommendations on here on CC. That way you could go at your own pace. When you are on a Princess tour, with many others on the bus, there is a lot to see and you do not have a lot of time to see it. I would definitely look into a private tour where your mum can see a few things and take her time doing it.

We found the MED cruise to be very port intensive and it really can be exhausting, even to those a lot younger in age.

A private tour means you can spend as little or as much time at a site as you wish, and no one is hurrying you or trying to get you back on the bus to move to the next site. Plus, there are many sites that are not the best walking conditions with lots of little holes and steps to get to them. Better to take it slow and be safe than to have to hurry along or have a bus load of others getting impatient.

Thanks for all of the help! At your suggestions, I emailed some drivers and received replies this morning. It appears that their prices are only slightly higher than what we would pay for the Princess tour, and we will have much more flexibility with my mother. Their responses even addressed my concerns about my mother, so I was pleased that they actually read my emails rather than sending a standard "tour" reply. Plus, they also suggested several other sights we could see that would be accessible to my mother. I'm delighted that my mother will now be able to choose for herself whether she climbs to the top of the Acropolis at her own pace, takes the elevator, or stays behind!

Thank you so much!

Debbie

I have another Athens question. Could someone please help me. I am looking for a hotel at the AThens airport that either has a shuttle to the airport or is close to the airport. And cheap. We will be flying in there and get that late at night and have to get back up and fly out early in the morning. So looking for something that want cost up an arm and leg for only about 8 hours. Thanks inadvance

Thanks for all of the help! At your suggestions, I emailed some drivers and received replies this morning. It appears that their prices are only slightly higher than what we would pay for the Princess tour, and we will have much more flexibility with my mother. Their responses even addressed my concerns about my mother, so I was pleased that they actually read my emails rather than sending a standard "tour" reply. Plus, they also suggested several other sights we could see that would be accessible to my mother. I'm delighted that my mother will now be able to choose for herself whether she climbs to the top of the Acropolis at her own pace, takes the elevator, or stays behind!

Thank you so much!

Debbie

YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME THING IN THE OTHER PORTS YOU WILL VISIT.USUALLY THE COST IS NOT MUCH MORE.. IF YOU LIKE DROP ME A NOTE AND WILL GIVE YOU THE GUIDES WE USED ..WHYME71842@AOL.COM

YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME THING IN THE OTHER PORTS YOU WILL VISIT.USUALLY THE COST IS NOT MUCH MORE.. IF YOU LIKE DROP ME A NOTE AND WILL GIVE YOU THE GUIDES WE USED ..WHYME71842@AOL.COM

I know that members appreciate it when other members provide requested information. So that everyone may benefit from your experience, please post your information on the boards rather than via private e-mail.

Thanks!

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

I know that members appreciate it when other members provide requested information. So that everyone may benefit from your experience, please post your information on the boards rather than via private e-mail.

Thanks!

Karen

I know some of the boards frown on posting names of guides..That is why I suggested they drop me a note..

I know some of the boards frown on posting names of guides..That is why I suggested they drop me a note..

Members are encouraged to share the names of their guides/operators in response to a request. Please see the Community Guidelines for more information on this subject.

Karen

I am interested in a Private Guide in Athens for 8 of us. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Hi Patti,

Here's a link to a thread with a few recommendations: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680959&highlight=athens+private

Also, if you use the "Search This Thread" function (top panel, under the page #'s) and enter "Athens Private" or "Athens Tour" .... quite a few threads will show up with suggestions.

Archived