Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

YIKES! Are you serious about the 2-3 hour wait??? Even on Princess?? On all of my other Princess cruises (albeit out of FL or NY) we never had to wait more than an hour - and usually less. Maybe my platinum status will help a bit?:confused:

It is the outside line that sux. Once you get inside you can use VIP. But outside there are 3000 Princess pax and about 2500 HAL pax all in one place, waiting to get through security and into the building....the outside lines often curl around the building and out into the parking lot after 10:00 or so.

Karen,

If you get there early say 9:00 will they let you go through security at that time so you can sit down or must you stand for a long time. I am recovering from a hip relacement and really don't want to stand for more than 15 - 20 minutes. Does Hal and Princess go through the same security lines then split off?

What time will they board the ship? Usually in San Pedro if you get there at 11:00 there is no line and you go to VIP then when they are ready to board you then go through security and you are on the ship by noon. Seattle sounds more involved and time consuming.

Carole

Karen,

If you get there early say 9:00 will they let you go through security at that time so you can sit down or must you stand for a long time. I am recovering from a hip relacement and really don't want to stand for more than 15 - 20 minutes. Does Hal and Princess go through the same security lines then split off?

What time will they board the ship? Usually in San Pedro if you get there at 11:00 there is no line and you go to VIP then when they are ready to board you then go through security and you are on the ship by noon. Seattle sounds more involved and time consuming.

Carole

I'm taking a four wheel walker with a seat, so that I can sit til the lines start moving. I would just ask for a wheelchair, but they are usually pretty much all in use for disembarkation when I arrive.

I'm going down there next weekend or the weekend after, just to see if they have changed anything midseason, but they were beginning boarding about 11:30 the last time I was down there earlier in the season. The lines kind of converge for a time out in front of the building, and it's sometimes hard to tell who belongs to which ship. Once you are inside, you can go to VIP or into the general lines, whichever one is moving fastest. The thing about San Pedro is that they don't board two ships from the same pier/terminal down there like they do here.

Thank you SeattleCruiselover, I think I've found my savior! We are cruising on Celebrity, not sure which pier they use. We're looking for a good seafood restaurant, reasonably priced, maybe something in Pike's Market? We're not sure how close we are to Pike's Market and the Space Needle but definitely want to check those out! Any transportation trips for getting around Seattle? I think that we'll be suffering from jet lag after our late afternoon flight in on 8/6. Any decent restaurants near our hotel for a quick dinner? Once again, thanks for you invaluable recommendations!

I just realized that our flight does not arrive late afternoon but @ 11:55pm and too late for the grayline!! Is there a plan B? Also, is there a way to arrange in advance for a taxi from the pier to the Westin? I know that we will need at least a minivan for 4 of us and our luggage! Going away for 10 days and having to pack for Alaska, I'm sure that we'll need several bags!!

Karen,

Please let us know what's the best time to get on line. I am prepared to get there early. Before I had my surgery I took my scooter on the ship. They even took it off in Cabo for me on the tender. I don't think that they do this anymore but it sure was great.

Thanks again for all your good advice. We'll have to meet onboard.

Carole

You said that your family lives in Las Vegas? What section?

Do you know if the Saveway Market on Occidental sells six-packs of soda?
Most of their trade is in fortified wine in plain brown bags, and single cigarettes, for the inhabitants of Occidental Square, if you get my meaning.

Thank you SeattleCruiselover, I think I've found my savior! We are cruising on Celebrity, not sure which pier they use. We're looking for a good seafood restaurant, reasonably priced, maybe something in Pike's Market? We're not sure how close we are to Pike's Market and the Space Needle but definitely want to check those out! Any transportation trips for getting around Seattle? I think that we'll be suffering from jet lag after our late afternoon flight in on 8/6. Any decent restaurants near our hotel for a quick dinner? Once again, thanks for you invaluable recommendations!

They are at Pier 66...right across the street from the Marriott Waterfront. Right next door to the Pier is Anthony's, which is an excellent seafood restaurant.

Where are you staying? If you are staying within the free ride zone, the buses are your best bet for getting around downtown and the nearby tourist attractions. And I can give you better restaurant/transport trips when I know what hotel you are using.

I just realized that our flight does not arrive late afternoon but @ 11:55pm and too late for the grayline!! Is there a plan B? Also, is there a way to arrange in advance for a taxi from the pier to the Westin? I know that we will need at least a minivan for 4 of us and our luggage! Going away for 10 days and having to pack for Alaska, I'm sure that we'll need several bags!!

OK, now that I know you are staying at the Westin......

Unfortunately, the van taxis in Seattle (of which there are VERY few) are reserved for ADA pax (physically challenged). You can grab a sedan cab at the pier and they will get you there in mere minutes (it is less than 2 miles away from Pier 66).

From the airport to the Westin at that hour of the night, you might want to consider hiring a limo or town car. Several people have recommended a Mr. Singh on this thread. I don't have his number, but it is J&S Limo, so you might be able to easily google it.

Lots of good restaurants near the Westin. Directly across the street is the Icon Grill. Great Northwest fusion/comfort food combo.\

One block up at 4th and Virginia are three of Tom Douglas' restaurants: Lola, Cafe Dahlia, and his pizza restaurant (I can never remember the name of it...something about pie). If you like pub food, there is an Elephant and Castle at the Red Lion at 5th between Pike and Union. OF course, there is Cheesecake Factory at 7th & Pike. And lots more.

Karen,

Please let us know what's the best time to get on line. I am prepared to get there early. Before I had my surgery I took my scooter on the ship. They even took it off in Cabo for me on the tender. I don't think that they do this anymore but it sure was great.

Thanks again for all your good advice. We'll have to meet onboard.

Carole

You said that your family lives in Las Vegas? What section?

If you go into your cruise personalizer and request wheelchair assist for embarkation and disembarkation, they will take you through reasonably quickly when ever you arrive, if it is after 10:00.

Green Valley. mostly. My uncle just retired from the practice of medicine. Another aunt is a district nurse for the school district. One of her sons lives in the Henderson proper area. Both of my parents and my other uncle and mom's parents are all buried at Woodlawn, so we have quite a few places to go when we visit. Should be down there again for Travel Week in December right after my birthday.

Aloha Karen,

We are coming out from Maui(my 22 y.o. son and myself), thinking about staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel right on Pike St.. It sounds like a real good time and location. We are used to staying in hostels. What do you think of this place and it's surroundings? Do the buses run late at night(11p.m.) from the airport to get us there, or should we take a cab? Would it be cool to tote our bags at night from the bus station to the hostel?

Thank you....much mahalos!

Aloha Karen,

We are coming out from Maui(my 22 y.o. son and myself), thinking about staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel right on Pike St.. It sounds like a real good time and location. We are used to staying in hostels. What do you think of this place and it's surroundings? Do the buses run late at night(11p.m.) from the airport to get us there, or should we take a cab? Would it be cool to tote our bags at night from the bus station to the hostel?

Thank you....much mahalos!

The buses run at that hour, and will drop you within two blocks of the Green Tortoise. It is right downtown on Pine St near the Pike Place Market. As with most hostels, it is no great shakes, but you should be OK there (I don't think they run their buses to NorCali any more, though......) If you don't have a ton of luggage, it sounds like a plan.

I'm going down there next weekend or the weekend after, just to see if they have changed anything midseason, but they were beginning boarding about 11:30 the last time I was down there earlier in the season. The lines kind of converge for a time out in front of the building, and it's sometimes hard to tell who belongs to which ship. Once you are inside, you can go to VIP or into the general lines, whichever one is moving fastest. .

Karen once you go down and assess the situation, will you let us know? It sounds like a whole different setup that what I have experienced in the past. At least for you, once you get past the first checkpoint, you will have priority with your Platinum status. Don and I will be waiting with the masses, but someday.... LOL

From the airport to the Westin at that hour of the night, you might want to consider hiring a limo or town car. Several people have recommended a Mr. Singh on this thread. I don't have his number, but it is J&S Limo, so you might be able to easily google it.

http://www.jandstowncar.com/

J & S Towncar & Limousine Service

Karen once you go down and assess the situation, will you let us know? It sounds like a whole different setup that what I have experienced in the past. At least for you, once you get past the first checkpoint, you will have priority with your Platinum status. Don and I will be waiting with the masses, but someday.... LOL

Yes, ma'am, you know I will. Didn't make it yesterday since Heather was a bit under the weather, but will go on her next weekend off, which is the 25th.

Sorry to but in on Seattlecruiselover (Karen) but I believe that it would be Seafair week in the Pacific northwest ! Hydro races, Parades, etc. A great time had by all.

BTW Karen you do a fantastic job of answering any and all Q's I have lived here all my life and could not do a better job. Kudos to you!! :):)

Melody :)

Past cruises:

Sun Princess Alaska, Sept 2006

Future cruises:

Celebrity Millenniun 14 day Vancouver to San Diego Sept 22, 2008

Celebrity Equinox , Ancient Empire Cruise , Oct 23, 2009

Hi Karen :)

Is there something going on the first weekend of August that you know of? A couple of my favorite hotels are not allowing any points stays.( Springhill downtown and Residence downtown/lake union)

Thanks Tayo

Melody's totally right. That is the last weekend of Seafair....the hydro championships, the Blue Angels air shows and all of the other attendant festivities. Town will be overfull that weekend, just like Labor Day weekend for Bumbershoot, and this weekend for Bite.

Don't feel too bad waASPcrusier,

I tried last year to book a hotel with Hiltonhhonors points for August 15th of this year and they wouldn't let me and I don't believe there is anything special going on that weekend (?). After speaking with several different people and being told no reward rooms available even almost a year ahead, finally the manager told me that they just weren't allowing bookings with points because it was "cruise season" I said - yes - I knew that since I was coming to town for a cruise!! I was pretty disappointed (I mean what are the points for?) but I was able to book further away from the pier and still downtown so I am happy enough.

Hi Karen,

Its me again, I didn't realize our cruise ends that weekend and there is a fair in town, does that mean we will have a hard time getting downtown from doubletree airport? I planned to take the duck tour or city tour. The concierge had me booked for city tour but I told him I rather wait til we get back from cruise to make sure all are well as there was no refund. He does have us set up with transportation going to the ship but says i should call coming back. We were looking forward to going to pikes market and the needle, will we be in the middle of the crowds on Sat. aug 2?

thanks for all your help.

Hi Karen,

Its me again, I didn't realize our cruise ends that weekend and there is a fair in town, does that mean we will have a hard time getting downtown from doubletree airport? I planned to take the duck tour or city tour. The concierge had me booked for city tour but I told him I rather wait til we get back from cruise to make sure all are well as there was no refund. He does have us set up with transportation going to the ship but says i should call coming back. We were looking forward to going to pikes market and the needle, will we be in the middle of the crowds on Sat. aug 2?

thanks for all your help.

Seafair is a month long. It started the weekend of 4 July 08 and will run through the first weekend of August. The parts that involve downtown Seattle will be the weekend of the 26th and 27th (which, I assume, is the weekend you are leaving), as well as Fleet Week, that will run from 30 July to 3 August 08, and will involve Pier 90, which is where the new cruise terminal is being built. The Torchlight Run and the Torchlight Parade will be held on Saturday 26 July 08, and will have the streets of downtown Seattle tied up from mid-afternoon on Friday until mid-day on Sunday, what with the setting up and the events themselves.

The events of the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd will be concentrated at Lake Washington, which is east of downtown. There will be a lot of increased traffic on the freeways, because the floating bridges will be closed during the Blue Angels airshows, but should not effect the Market and the Space Needle any more than they normally are during summer tourist/cruise season (which is to say that they are always crowded, but should not be any more so than usual). The worst that is likely to happen is that you will be scared out of your wits by fighter aircraft flying over at very low (and LOUD) levels.... ;-) at unexpected moments between about 10 am and 2 pm.

Seafair is a month long. It started the weekend of 4 July 08 and will run through the first weekend of August. The parts that involve downtown Seattle will be the weekend of the 26th and 27th (which, I assume, is the weekend you are leaving), as well as Fleet Week, that will run from 30 July to 3 August 08, and will involve Pier 90, which is where the new cruise terminal is being built. The Torchlight Run and the Torchlight Parade will be held on Saturday 26 July 08, and will have the streets of downtown Seattle tied up from mid-afternoon on Friday until mid-day on Sunday, what with the setting up and the events themselves.

The events of the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd will be concentrated at Lake Washington, which is east of downtown. There will be a lot of increased traffic on the freeways, because the floating bridges will be closed during the Blue Angels airshows, but should not effect the Market and the Space Needle any more than they normally are during summer tourist/cruise season (which is to say that they are always crowded, but should not be any more so than usual). The worst that is likely to happen is that you will be scared out of your wits by fighter aircraft flying over at very low (and LOUD) levels.... ;-) at unexpected moments between about 10 am and 2 pm.

Hi Karen,

We also will be coming back into Seattle from our cruise aboard the Princess Star but on Sunday morning...will this event effect getting to the airport very much?

Thanks so much!

Kathy:)

Hi Karen,

We also will be coming back into Seattle from our cruise aboard the Princess Star but on Sunday morning...will this event effect getting to the airport very much?

Thanks so much!

Kathy:)

Sunday the 27th? No, should not be a problem at all.

Sunday the 3rd? Traffic will be affected mostly coming INTO town, so should not be a problem then, either.

Archived