Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Hi Karen,

Thinking about a bite to eat at the Gordon Biersch Brewing Co before the Torchlight parade. Any comments regarding this establishment? How far is it from the Sheraton downtown?

Should be a hectic day. Get into Seattle at 3pm. BIL picking us up at airport, then driving us to Sheraton downtown. Check-in. Change clothes. Go eat. Attend parade. All this while functioning on East coast time.

I like their food, eat there frequently. Typical brewery food. It is about one block north and about 1/2 block east of the Sheraton, on the fourth floor.

It's gonna be a busy Saturday for you. I'll wave at you when I see you on camera (won't catch me outside in the 80+ degree sun for hours waiting for the parade, not when I can watch it on TV inside where it is at least semi-cool. Been there, done that, but you will enjoy it, especially when the sun goes down and it gets cooler.

Directed to Karen(SeattleCruiseLover)....Leaving today on the Star from Pier 66..Would like to drop off luggage as early as possible, then tour downtown for a couple of hours before boarding...Any insight/suggestions/ect? Thanks! Bill

Thinking about a bite to eat at the Gordon Biersch Brewing Co before the Torchlight parade. Any comments regarding this establishment?

I haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food, but I wanted to point out that Gordon Biersch is a chain. We have several really good local brewery/restaurants in town you might want to try instead, for a more Seattle flair.

Pike Place Brewing is in the far south end of the Market, not far from your hotel, and is quite good in both beer and food. A bit further away, but not far, are Pyramid and Elysian Fields ... both are near the stadiums, just south of Pioneer Square. Both of those have good beers, Elysian has more upscale food than Pyramid does.

I like their food, eat there frequently. Typical brewery food. It is about one block north and about 1/2 block east of the Sheraton, on the fourth floor.

It's gonna be a busy Saturday for you. I'll wave at you when I see you on camera (won't catch me outside in the 80+ degree sun for hours waiting for the parade, not when I can watch it on TV inside where it is at least semi-cool. Been there, done that, but you will enjoy it, especially when the sun goes down and it gets cooler.

BIL got us grandstand seats so I'm hoping we won't have to wait hours for the parade. Besides, we have 6pm reservations at Gordon Biersch. Guess we will have to eat fast.

I haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food, but I wanted to point out that Gordon Biersch is a chain. We have several really good local brewery/restaurants in town you might want to try instead, for a more Seattle flair.

Pike Place Brewing is in the far south end of the Market, not far from your hotel, and is quite good in both beer and food. A bit further away, but not far, are Pyramid and Elysian Fields ... both are near the stadiums, just south of Pioneer Square. Both of those have good beers, Elysian has more upscale food than Pyramid does.

Thanks for the info. BIL already reserved Gordon Biersch for 6PM

Directed to Karen(SeattleCruiseLover)....Leaving today on the Star from Pier 66..Would like to drop off luggage as early as possible, then tour downtown for a couple of hours before boarding...Any insight/suggestions/ect? Thanks! Bill

Bill, sorry. I had to go out and didn't see this til you were already gone. Hope you found the concierge on your own.....:eek:

BIL got us grandstand seats so I'm hoping we won't have to wait hours for the parade. Besides, we have 6pm reservations at Gordon Biersch. Guess we will have to eat fast.

Fast, but not TOO fast please. Don't want to have to call Medic One for a choking incident. The worst that will happen is that you have to crawl over a bunch of people to get to your seats if you are there before 7:30 or so.

Thanks for the info. BIL already reserved Gordon Biersch for 6PM

Even though it's a chain, their food is good and I think you will enjoy it.

Fast, but not TOO fast please. Don't want to have to call Medic One for a choking incident. The worst that will happen is that you have to crawl over a bunch of people to get to your seats if you are there before 7:30.

I'm 6'-4" 235lbs and if folks in my want me crawl over them thats ok by me

(just kidding) ;) I may have to crawl over people. An old back injury is acting up. :( Hope its better by Saturday

I promise to chew my food.:D

Karen: Another quick question. We have booked Executive Town Car Service to and from the Marriott next month. Our flight home leaves about 11:57-59 AM on Sunday, August 31st. They suggested a 10:00 pick-up from the hotel because being Sunday, there shouldn't be much traffic but now with this Labor Day thing going on over the weekend, do you think that we should have them pick us up sooner or even if we were not affected by the crowds, would 10:00 still be OK?

Sandy

Karen: Another quick question. We have booked Executive Town Car Service to and from the Marriott next month. Our flight home leaves about 11:57-59 AM on Sunday, August 31st. They suggested a 10:00 pick-up from the hotel because being Sunday, there shouldn't be much traffic but now with this Labor Day thing going on over the weekend, do you think that we should have them pick us up sooner or even if we were not affected by the crowds, would 10:00 still be OK?

Sandy

I am scratching my head as to why they suggested a 10:00 pick up for you , knowing that you have to be checked in for your flight two hours ahead of time, and that lines at SEA-Tac are both long and excrutiatingly slow????? I'm obsessive about things like this, but I would certainly leave earlier than 10:00 (since that IS two hours ahead of your flight), although I would not necessarily tell you that you need to leave as early as I would (about 8:00 am)......;)

I am scratching my head as to why they suggested a 10:00 pick up for you , knowing that you have to be checked in for your flight two hours ahead of time, and that lines at SEA-Tac are both long and excrutiatingly slow????? I'm obsessive about things like this, but I would certainly leave earlier than 10:00 (since that IS two hours ahead of your flight), although I would not necessarily tell you that you need to leave as early as I would (about 8:00 am)......;)

OK, thanks. I am going to call them back tomorrow and ask for an earlier pick-up I think maybe somewhere between 9-9:30. How does that sound to you?

Sandy

Sorry if this is a repeat question as I didn't have time to read 1200 posts.

Any recommendations for a park-sleep-cruise hotel that doesn't cost $300 a night??

We are driving up from Oregon the night before our cruise in October and would prefer to leave the car at the hotel we stay at and have a shuttle take us to the port.

TIA

gina

We are coming into seattle 2 nights early before our sept 20 cruise on the OOsterdam. We are staying at the holiday Inn on dexter.

ANy thoughts?

Also best way to get there from the airport?

and then the best way to get from the holiday inn to the port/

thank you so much for all your help

Barring unforeseen circumstances, you should make it OK, and they can always take the surface streets if they need to.

Karen: I just called and changed our pick-up time for 9:30. Thanks for your advice. And if that still doesn't get us there on time, we'll just have to spend another day in your beautiful city.

Sandy

Sorry if this is a repeat question as I didn't have time to read 1200 posts.

Any recommendations for a park-sleep-cruise hotel that doesn't cost $300 a night??

We are driving up from Oregon the night before our cruise in October and would prefer to leave the car at the hotel we stay at and have a shuttle take us to the port.

TIA

gina

Gina: I have not had occasion to use those services (obviously, since I live here and, when I cruise from here, just take taxi to the pier :D ).

But here is a website that lists all of the available properties that have the program in Seattle.

http://www.parksleepfly.com/reservation/index.php?referredBy=5000&trackID=BootsnAll&hotel_type=cruiseport&cruiseportID=

We are coming into seattle 2 nights early before our sept 20 cruise on the OOsterdam. We are staying at the holiday Inn on dexter.

ANy thoughts?

Also best way to get there from the airport?

and then the best way to get from the holiday inn to the port/

thank you so much for all your help

Holiday Inn on Dexter is fine. Close to Seattle Center/Space Needle/EMP/Duck Tour (you can walk there easily). Quick bus ride downtown (though not in the free ride zone, you will have to pay) to get to the Market, Pioneer Square/Underground Tour/Waterfront.

I would take the Airporter and Connector from the airport to the hotel:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

Then a taxi from the hotel to Terminal 30. Should cost less than $15.00 for two pax, including fuel surcharge, excluding gratuities.

Karen, did you get a chance to scope out the lines at Terminal 30 this weekend? We're all anxious to know when the lines start getting unbearably long and the riots start......:eek: .

Nope, we are going this coming weekend, on my daughter's weekend off. She wanted to go to, so I said I would wait for her. Check in with me one week from today.

Hi Karen:

I was just informed by Marriott that the shuttle service to the Princess pier has increased from $6/person to $10/person. Do you think it would be cheaper for us (family of 5) to take 2 taxis to the pier instead of the shuttle? Thanks for your help!

Hi Karen:

I was just informed by Marriott that the shuttle service to the Princess pier has increased from $6/person to $10/person. Do you think it would be cheaper for us (family of 5) to take 2 taxis to the pier instead of the shuttle? Thanks for your help!

It won't cost you $50 to go about 3-4 miles, that's for sure. It should be about $10-15 for two, including fuel surcharge, excluding gratuties. The third person in the cab will be $2.50, give or take.

Karen, Thanks for the great service you are providing. My wife and I will be arriving near the end of August for a one night stay at the Westin. From you earlier posts, I am planning to use Gray Line from the airport and a cab to Pier 30. At the end of the cruise I will try to get Gray Line back to the Airport for a 12:15 flight. Am I on the right track??

Also, we would like your advice on things to do from the Westin. Specifically, some restaurant recommendations.

Thanks,

David

Karen, Thanks for the great service you are providing. My wife and I will be arriving near the end of August for a one night stay at the Westin. From you earlier posts, I am planning to use Gray Line from the airport and a cab to Pier 30. At the end of the cruise I will try to get Gray Line back to the Airport for a 12:15 flight. Am I on the right track??

Also, we would like your advice on things to do from the Westin. Specifically, some restaurant recommendations.

Thanks,

David

David: Yep, that should work well.

Restaurants near the Westin:

The Icon Grille right across the street is to kill for. Tom Douglas has a couple of restaurants a block away at 4th and Virginia, both of which are good, Dahlia Lounge and Lola.

In the Sheraton (about four blocks away at 7th & Pike) is the Daily Grill.

Of course, if you want seafood, the waterfront is the place to be for such as Anthony's, Ivars, the Crab Pot, the Fisherman and more.

Archived