Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Hi Karen,

I was checking the weather for tomorrow in Seattle and it looks a little gloomy. As a matter of fact it looks gloomy cruise day :(

So the question of the day is, (drum roll please) is the parade held rain or shine :confused:

It's a little cloudy, but the sun is shining. There IS rain in the forecast for both today and tomorrow, but that shouldn't be any big deal. Yes, parade goes no matter what. Just get a cheap poncho from the drug store and go out and enjoy.

Looks like we'll be taking a cab on either side of the hotel anyway. So, what do you suggest? Close to the airport or close to the terminal?

When I'm doing trip advisor searches, which area in Seattle should I be looking at?

\

Closer to the airport is more cost effective, to be sure. Closer to the station means more sleep (plan on a 45 minute plus drive in from the airport to the station, and knowing that you need to be at the station by about 6:15 to check bags and get in line for seat assignments). Your personal priorities would be the deciding factor here, I should imagine.

To search the airport area, you should be able to use the airport code (SEA) or use the city term Sea-Tac. For the station area, try SODO or downtown Seattle. There are only two hotels there anyway, everything else is a few miles away in downtown proper.

My sister had a BC, certified. But her drivers license is stating her married name, can she show proof of marriage as the reason she has a new last name?

Thanks

Yes, they require proof of marriage (marriage license, certificate of marriage) as proof of name change. Does she not have a passport in her married name? If she does, that will be more than sufficient, as well.

Karen - We're here in your beautiful city, been to Westlake Center, Pikes Market, the Duck tour, and got stuck in the begining of the parade at Seattle Center. Quite the deal - saw the Mobey Duck a couple of times today. Leaving tomorrow, but we'll be back next Sunday, and hope to go the the Space Needle and others before we leave on Monday

Thanks again for all your great advice

BarbaB

Karen 6 more weeks and we will be in your wonderful city! Cannot wait!

Looks like I need to change our pick up time at the airport to Spring Hill as AA has changed our flight times. LOL Think I will wait til almost time incase they change it a time or two more.

I am requesting NICE weather please. LOL Today in Texas we are having issues from the hurricane. Tornados supposedly being sighted here and there around us but so far all ok at my house.

TXCHELLE--take care down there. We are alot further inland but we have gotten some cooler weather (95 instead of 102) because of the H-Dolly

We too are heading to Seattle about the same time, but we are going in 2 days before our sailing on the Golden Princess. I just realized last week that our flight on AA got cancelled for our departure back to DFW on 9-20. We had a 5:20 flight and they moved us up to 11am. WE did not feel comfortable with that, but since we booked back in April using miles, they did not have another flight that had Advantage seats until 11pm that night. I held out and told my story to about three people, and told them that there more than 100 empty seats on 5 flights throughout the day and they ended up putting us on a 1:30 pm flight and all is well. I was pretty upset because they did not even email go tell me they had cjhanged our flight....I was printing documents after we got our cruise papers and when I was on the AA sight, I just "discovered" their little surprise.

Karen,

Sailing on the Star Princess. So far there are just 2 of us. My friend uses a wheelchair so we won't be doing a lot of walking around. Would like a room under $200.

Thanks

Pam

Check the Best Western Pioneer Square Inn. Their internet rates are about $145.00, if you don't mind it not being refundable. And it is close to Terminal 30, more or less.

Karen - We're here in your beautiful city, been to Westlake Center, Pikes Market, the Duck tour, and got stuck in the begining of the parade at Seattle Center. Quite the deal - saw the Mobey Duck a couple of times today. Leaving tomorrow, but we'll be back next Sunday, and hope to go the the Space Needle and others before we leave on Monday

Thanks again for all your great advice

BarbaB

By the time you read this, it will be too late for me to say Bon Voyage, so I will say.....have (had) a great trip and Welcome Back!

TXCHELLE--take care down there. We are alot further inland but we have gotten some cooler weather (95 instead of 102) because of the H-Dolly

We too are heading to Seattle about the same time, but we are going in 2 days before our sailing on the Golden Princess. I just realized last week that our flight on AA got cancelled for our departure back to DFW on 9-20. We had a 5:20 flight and they moved us up to 11am. WE did not feel comfortable with that, but since we booked back in April using miles, they did not have another flight that had Advantage seats until 11pm that night. I held out and told my story to about three people, and told them that there more than 100 empty seats on 5 flights throughout the day and they ended up putting us on a 1:30 pm flight and all is well. I was pretty upset because they did not even email go tell me they had cjhanged our flight....I was printing documents after we got our cruise papers and when I was on the AA sight, I just "discovered" their little surprise.

Yikes!! Aren't you glad you looked. You don't really want me to tell you about the lines at Terminal 30, do you?

sunneesmile good thing you looked!! Hopefully all our plans are definite now LOL But I am not holding my breath on mine.

Our little ole town did not suffer really from Dolly but they did see quite a few tornados trying to do some damage. There was even one just south of downtown San Antonio. Luckily no major damage and it did not go on in to downtown.

Did you bring out your winter coat with the cooler temps ;-)

Sorry Karen,

I can't seem to find the print-out of your suggested Pike's Market itinerary and a "Thread Search" wasn't of much help and the "Advanced Search" is down. Would it be possible to send it again?

Thank you for helping all of us with our Seattle questions!!!

Kathy

Yikes!! Aren't you glad you looked. You don't really want me to tell you about the lines at Terminal 30, do you?

Karen,

Anxiously waiting to read your review of the Terminal 30 lines. At least, I think I want to read it.:eek: Maybe it is better off not knowing???

Karen,

Anxiously waiting to read your review of the Terminal 30 lines. At least, I think I want to read it.:eek: Maybe it is better off not knowing???

Hi popping in here.

For what it's worth, a couple of our friends went on the Golden in June, they got to the port at noon and we're eating in the Buffet at 1:30. No line to really speak of.

Karen -

I've changed our Shuttle Express Pick-up from the Springhill, Downtown 3X -each time EARLIER!!

So, how were the lines this weekend??

I hate waiting in line - but then again I do like to be among the first on-board..... catch-22 I guess?

For now our pick-up is 8:30 AM - we should be at the Pier by 9 AM ??

Thanks for your opinion and comments!

You are a 'treasure' on this board! :D

Renee

There will be four of us (two couples) travelling into Seattle on JetBlue on a Friday night (at 9PM). One couple will be staying at the airport Doubletree and the other at the (incredibly inexpensive and probably "icky") Skyway Inn. I believe BOTH properties offer a free shuttle. But what if we hopped in a large cab (they have mini-van cabs in some cities) and made two stops. Any idea if that would make sense (location-wise) and how much it might be?

There will be four of us (two couples) travelling into Seattle on JetBlue on a Friday night (at 9PM). One couple will be staying at the airport Doubletree and the other at the (incredibly inexpensive and probably "icky") Skyway Inn. I believe BOTH properties offer a free shuttle. But what if we hopped in a large cab (they have mini-van cabs in some cities) and made two stops. Any idea if that would make sense (location-wise) and how much it might be?

Van cabs in Seattle are reserved for the physically challenged, and are "scarce on the ground to begin with" (i.e. very few of them exist). I'm not sure if the Skyway has an airport shuttle or not, truly. Cabs cost $2.50 meter drop charge, then $2.50 per mile for first two pax, $0.50 each for any more than two pax, pluse $2.00 fuel surcharge.

You actually could walk to the Doubletree, it's that close, but you wouldn't want to with luggage at that hour of the night. The Skyway Inn is at 200th and International Blvd, which is about 20 blocks south, give or take.

We've decided to move our cruise from Vancouver to a rt out of Seattle, these are the hotels we are consitering: Hotel Monaco Seattle, Hotel Vintage Park, and Silver Cloud Hotel Stadium (this last one is the one I'm leaning toward).

I have a few questions:

1) how close are they to where HAL sails from?

2) are they nice hotels?

3) does anyone have any better suggestions?

I just found this thread and have extracted quite a bit of information from Karen who is a real jewel.

I know there are a number of vineyards about an hour away. Are you aware of any tours from Seattle. I will be at the Westin on 5th Ave. from the 4th thru the 7th.

Where do the locals eat?

Thanks for your help.:rolleyes:

We've decided to move our cruise from Vancouver to a rt out of Seattle, these are the hotels we are consitering: Hotel Monaco Seattle, Hotel Vintage Park, and Silver Cloud Hotel Stadium (this last one is the one I'm leaning toward).

I have a few questions:

1) how close are they to where HAL sails from?

2) are they nice hotels?

3) does anyone have any better suggestions?

Silver Cloud Stadium is about 1.5 miles away. The others are downtown proper, so about 3-4 miles away. All are nice hotels. Silver Cloud would be "cheaper" price wise than the other two, as they are Kimpton botique hotels. Silver Cloud is more a business type property.

I just found this thread and have extracted quite a bit of information from Karen who is a real jewel.

I know there are a number of vineyards about an hour away. Are you aware of any tours from Seattle. I will be at the Westin on 5th Ave. from the 4th thru the 7th.

Where do the locals eat?

Thanks for your help.:rolleyes:

Winery tours:

http://www.seattletours.us/tours/tourType.cfm/ttid2/595/cloneid/17?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=wine-1&ovcrn=seattle+wine+tour&ovtac=PPC&gclid=CLiEloa26ZQCFSgtagod9RcTQw

http://www.toursofseattle.com/tours.php?type=winery

Go to the Icon Grille directly across the street. They have great PNW food, and won't be there too much longer, because there is going to be a new building built in their spot (don't know if they will move, or cease operations). There are several other good restaurants within walking distance--Dahlia Lounge about 1 block west on Virginia, Lola directly across the street from Dahlia, Serious Pie in the same building as Dahlia, and Palace Ballroom about three blocks north on 5th Av from the Westin. All of the last four are Tom Douglas restaurants.

Icon Grill is open for lunch and dinner during the week, dinner only on the weekends.

Archived