Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

We've decided to move our cruise from Vancouver to a rt out of Seattle, these are the hotels we are consitering: Hotel Monaco Seattle, Hotel Vintage Park, and Silver Cloud Hotel Stadium (this last one is the one I'm leaning toward).

I have a few questions:

1) how close are they to where HAL sails from?

2) are they nice hotels?

3) does anyone have any better suggestions?

It looks from your signature/footer that you're sailing next May.

Therefore the answer may need some qualification and I wouldn't necessarily pick a hotel based on its distance from Pier 30.

The Port of Seattle is moving T30 cruise operations to a new terminal at the extreme north end of the Seattle waterfront, Pier 91, and claims (so far with no real evidence) that they intend to have T91 ready for the 2009 cruise season. T30 is being re-converted back to container cargo use.

If the move does take place, Pier 91 is a rather long cab ride from any downtown location (something like 3 or 4 miles from T30) and will be much less convenient for hotel or airport access than T30.

So I would keep my powder dry and just get a hotel that works for any sightseeing you plan in Seattle, rather than proximity to T30 or T91.

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cargo/t91construction.shtml

It looks from your signature/footer that you're sailing next May.

Therefore the answer may need some qualification and I wouldn't necessarily pick a hotel based on its distance from Pier 30.

The Port of Seattle is moving T30 cruise operations to a new terminal at the extreme north end of the Seattle waterfront, Pier 91, and claims (so far with no real evidence) that they intend to have T91 ready for the 2009 cruise season. T30 is being re-converted back to container cargo use.

If the move does take place, Pier 91 is a rather long cab ride from any downtown location (something like 3 or 4 miles from T30) and will be much less convenient for hotel or airport access than T30.

So I would keep my powder dry and just get a hotel that works for any sightseeing you plan in Seattle, rather than proximity to T30 or T91.

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cargo/t91construction.shtml

Like you, I will believe it is happening when I see it happen, and not before. I don't think they are doing anything down there, other than having the ships in for Fleet Week.

Hi there,

I've gleaned so much useful information from this thread - so thanks to Karen and all others who've shared stuff they know. I thought I would share this article that my brother sent me. He knows I am coming to Seattle (in 2 wks!!) and his wife saw this while she was on an airplane! Great collection of information.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3PD/Seattle/day1.php

Like you, I will believe it is happening when I see it happen, and not before. I don't think they are doing anything down there, other than having the ships in for Fleet Week.
Evidently the PoS and City got into an arm wrestling match over which foundation system (auger piling v. spread footings & piling) should be used for the construction; the debate was resolved within the last week or so. So I expect things to rock and roll at T91. I'm quite certain that they'll work 7/12s if being late entails the usual sorts of penalties and concessions paid to tenants (i.e. HAL, Princess et al) if they're not able to mobilize for the season with adequate lead time. A mid-season move from T30 to T91 would be chaotic.

:) Can't begin to Thank You enough for your suggestions. My wife will be extremely happy with the wine tour and chocolate stop. Of course I will certainly enjoy the Red Hook.

Checked out the restaurants and they look great also.

You should write a tour guide.

:) Can't begin to Thank You enough for your suggestions. My wife will be extremely happy with the wine tour and chocolate stop. Of course I will certainly enjoy the Red Hook.

Checked out the restaurants and they look great also.

You should write a tour guide.

Actually, I'm in the process of doing exactly that.....:eek:

This may be a stupid question, but which airport should we fly into?

SEA - LKE - BFI

These are the options I'm given when I'm looking at pricing.

LKE is Lake Union....all that flies in and of there is seaplanes. BFI is Boeing Field....all that flies in and out of there is General Aviation, FedEx, UPS, DHL, Mariners and Seahawks. You have to come into SEA.....:D

Evidently the PoS and City got into an arm wrestling match over which foundation system (auger piling v. spread footings & piling) should be used for the construction; the debate was resolved within the last week or so. So I expect things to rock and roll at T91. I'm quite certain that they'll work 7/12s if being late entails the usual sorts of penalties and concessions paid to tenants (i.e. HAL, Princess et al) if they're not able to mobilize for the season with adequate lead time. A mid-season move from T30 to T91 would be chaotic.

You can say that again. Next year I am sailing out of YVR, just to avoid such a thing.

Karen, first of all many thanks for taking the time to go scope out Terminal 30 and for starting the thread on that topic-I think it has taken on a life of its own! I was wondering if you'd been in the new Kress IGA Supermarket on the corner of 3rd and Pike? Do you think it's walkable from the Pioneer Square Best Western or are we better off hopping on the freebie bus? Do they carry wine there? Thanks for all your help!

Karen, first of all many thanks for taking the time to go scope out Terminal 30 and for starting the thread on that topic-I think it has taken on a life of its own!

LOL isn't that funny how that happens Where she leads we all follow! I tell you Karen you can make money from this!!

Sorry Elzapato, I don't have the answer but she will.

Dianne

LKE is Lake Union....all that flies in and of there is seaplanes. BFI is Boeing Field....all that flies in and out of there is General Aviation, FedEx, UPS, DHL, Mariners and Seahawks. You have to come into SEA.....:D

Is so weird the the flight search engine asked which airport I'd like to fly into! lol

What do you think about the Residence Inn by Marriott? It says its only 3.1 miles from pier 30, but the taxi should be about $35 from the air port.

What do you suggest in the way of transportation? Are there car services in Seattle?

Karen, first of all many thanks for taking the time to go scope out Terminal 30 and for starting the thread on that topic-I think it has taken on a life of its own! I was wondering if you'd been in the new Kress IGA Supermarket on the corner of 3rd and Pike? Do you think it's walkable from the Pioneer Square Best Western or are we better off hopping on the freebie bus? Do they carry wine there? Thanks for all your help!

I go in there every day or two, since it is right across the street from my DD's office. They have some of the good WA wineries (like Chateau Ste. Michelle) there. You will need to take the bus unless you walk 1.5 miles one way routinely. You can go across the street from the hotel (out in front of Starbucks) on the Yesler side of 1st & Yesler, and take either a 16 or 66 bus to 3rd & Pike and get off and cross the street to the store.

Is so weird the the flight search engine asked which airport I'd like to fly into! lol

What do you think about the Residence Inn by Marriott? It says its only 3.1 miles from pier 30, but the taxi should be about $35 from the air port.

What do you suggest in the way of transportation? Are there car services in Seattle?

The RI is just 1.5 blocks from my apartment, and my sister stays there every time she comes up. Very nice rooms. It's well outside the flat rate taxi zone, so $35 is low, I'd think at least $45 plus gratuity.

The Airporter and Connector would take you to the Silver Cloud Lake Union which is only about 1.5 blocks north of the Residence Inn, if you think you could walk from there. It would be considerably cheaper.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

Karen:

I guess I need you to hold my hand just one more time before we sail - well - I will try to make it the last time...

My head is getting overloaded from all I am reading and trying to remember. I had asked about alcohol purchase and you gave us some walking places from the Seattle Marriott Waterfront across from Pier 66.

I then read where someone had had their driver stop on the way from airport to hotel at store to buy liquor and wine. Don't know where. I have also read that some taxis will not stop if they are on the flat rate deal.

Sooooooooo, what transport shall we use if we want to make quick stop at store? Have you heard about taxi stops or town car stops or what do you think would be our best and most economical option? Any idea cost? AND, where would you choose to stop on route from airport?

I am just thinking the walk will take time and maybe too much energy (pitiful) in your hilly terrain. We do plan on going to Pike Place Market and I believe I can get wine there, but no liquor.

Can you please advise what you would do? Thanks as always.

Karen:

I guess I need you to hold my hand just one more time before we sail - well - I will try to make it the last time...

My head is getting overloaded from all I am reading and trying to remember. I had asked about alcohol purchase and you gave us some walking places from the Seattle Marriott Waterfront across from Pier 66.

I then read where someone had had their driver stop on the way from airport to hotel at store to buy liquor and wine. Don't know where. I have also read that some taxis will not stop if they are on the flat rate deal.

Sooooooooo, what transport shall we use if we want to make quick stop at store? Have you heard about taxi stops or town car stops or what do you think would be our best and most economical option? Any idea cost? AND, where would you choose to stop on route from airport?

I am just thinking the walk will take time and maybe too much energy (pitiful) in your hilly terrain. We do plan on going to Pike Place Market and I believe I can get wine there, but no liquor.

Can you please advise what you would do? Thanks as always.

You can only get liquor at the state store. No one else is allowed to sell it within the state of WA. The closest one to the Marriott is at 2nd and Seneca. You can take the waterfront streetcar across the street from the hotel to 1st & Yesler and switch to the 16 or 66 bus, get off at 3rd and Seneca or the closest stop thereto, and walk down to 2nd. To get back to hotel, take any bus down 2nd to Yesler, then grab the street car at 1st Av and back to hotel.

Hello!

Just wondering if there is a recommended route to avoid the steep (to a flatlander like me) roads through downtown from SEA to pier 66. Was in Seattle late last year, and as we drove in off the highway (I'm guessing it was I-5? we drove up from portland) to go to pike place, i nearly had a heart attack when i drove down and up those hills! Really wasn't expecting such a steep incline and not sure if the ticker can take that again lol.

just wondering if

A) pier 66 is near this route

B) what way to the pier would you recommend for a scaredy cat like me that would avoid those steep inclines and

C) how much would I have to tip a cab driver to not laugh at me if I made this request lol.

Thanks so much

-Jenn

Hello!

Just wondering if there is a recommended route to avoid the steep (to a flatlander like me) roads through downtown from SEA to pier 66. Was in Seattle late last year, and as we drove in off the highway (I'm guessing it was I-5? we drove up from portland) to go to pike place, i nearly had a heart attack when i drove down and up those hills! Really wasn't expecting such a steep incline and not sure if the ticker can take that again lol.

just wondering if

A) pier 66 is near this route

B) what way to the pier would you recommend for a scaredy cat like me that would avoid those steep inclines and

C) how much would I have to tip a cab driver to not laugh at me if I made this request lol.

Thanks so much

-Jenn

Are you coming from the airport? If you are, just ask the taxi driver to take International Blvd to Airport Way, then down Airport Way to Royal Brougham to Alaskan Way to the hotel. They might think you're a tad crazy, and you won't get the flat rate to downtown rate, but they will do it....if for no other reason than it will get them some extra fare....:eek:

I'm looking to book a cruise leaving from Vancouver. My son & his wife would prefer to fly into Seattle and stop to see a friend there pre-cruise. I know I read a while back about how to get from Seattle to the port in Vancouver, but can't find the info now. So what is the best way to do this?

Hi Karen: I don't know if I have asked you this before so if I have, forgive me, but is The Underground Tour walkable from the Waterfront Marriott or can we take a bus across the street to get there? Also, since we changed our flight plans and will now only stay in Seattle pre-cruise, would it be possible to do the Duck Tour and the Underground Tour the same day just in case we were unable to do the Underground Tour the day we arrived? Thanks.

Sandy

I'm looking to book a cruise leaving from Vancouver. My son & his wife would prefer to fly into Seattle and stop to see a friend there pre-cruise. I know I read a while back about how to get from Seattle to the port in Vancouver, but can't find the info now. So what is the best way to do this?

There are quite a few ways. My personal favorite (for both ease and scenery) is the Amtrak Cascades Train.

There is Quick Shuttle:

www.quickcoach.com

And the cruise lines have shuttles from SEA-Tac to the piers in YVR.

Hi Karen: I don't know if I have asked you this before so if I have, forgive me, but is The Underground Tour walkable from the Waterfront Marriott or can we take a bus across the street to get there? Also, since we changed our flight plans and will now only stay in Seattle pre-cruise, would it be possible to do the Duck Tour and the Underground Tour the same day just in case we were unable to do the Underground Tour the day we arrived? Thanks.

Sandy

You can certainly walk. It is about 1.25 miles, or you can take the Street Car across the street and it will take you right there.

If you have a full day, no problem whatsoever. Duck about 1.5 hours, Underground Tour the same, with about 45 minutes bus travel between at the max.

You can certainly walk. It is about 1.25 miles, or you can take the Street Car across the street and it will take you right there.

If you have a full day, no problem whatsoever. Duck about 1.5 hours, Underground Tour the same, with about 45 minutes bus travel between at the max.

Thanks a lot. Next question, how often does the street car run and what kind of transportation do I take to go from one tour to the next if I do them the same day?

Sandy

Archived