Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Karen,

Don and I are coming in on Thursday the 11th. We land about 11am to scope things out before Yvonne and Brian get there on Friday. We are the security detail for the real celebrities.

Oh, I see, is that how it works? :D

Like I said on the roll call board, I will post my cell phone number on the yahoogroups list so that, if anyone gets lost or needs directions or other info, you can pretty much call me anytime from 3:00 am to 10:00 pm and one or the other of us will be happy to get you reoriented.

There is so much information here, it's great.

So we're down to this. There are 8 of us (including a 2-yr old and a 9-month old). We arrive Wednesday afternoon (9/3) and are in Seattle until our cruise leaves Friday. We are staying downtown at the Renaissance.

Any suggested itineraries? We are a pretty mobile bunch. Last time (with a 2-yr old) we spent one day in Seattle and saw Pike Place Market, Waterfront, Ballard Locks, Fisherman's Wharf?, the Space Needle, and still had time to go to Red Robin for dinner (won't do that again, though).

We should be to our hotel by around 3pm so we will have that night and the whole day Thursday. We didn't spend any time at night in Seattle last time as we stayed by the airport. We'd like to do some different things than we did last time.

There is so much information here, it's great.

So we're down to this. There are 8 of us (including a 2-yr old and a 9-month old). We arrive Wednesday afternoon (9/3) and are in Seattle until our cruise leaves Friday. We are staying downtown at the Renaissance.

Any suggested itineraries? We are a pretty mobile bunch. Last time (with a 2-yr old) we spent one day in Seattle and saw Pike Place Market, Waterfront, Ballard Locks, Fisherman's Wharf?, the Space Needle, and still had time to go to Red Robin for dinner (won't do that again, though).

We should be to our hotel by around 3pm so we will have that night and the whole day Thursday. We didn't spend any time at night in Seattle last time as we stayed by the airport. We'd like to do some different things than we did last time.

Looks like you have not done the Underground Tour, but that might be a tad difficult with a toddler and a babe in arms, because you would be going up and down stairs, so strollers are out.

You would probably enjoy the zoo:

http://www.zoo.org

Perhaps the Olympic Sculpture Park:

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/OSP/AboutOSP/default.asp

The Seattle Children's Museum:

http://www.thechildrensmuseum.org/

The Duck Tour:

http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/

Nightlife wise, you would need to have someone stay at the hotel with the children. I would seriously not recommend taking them out into downtown Seattle after dark. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars near the restaurant, but they are not really family oriented after nightfall. If you want to go out with the kids in the evening, about the best I can suggest is Gameworks:

http://www.gameworks.com/

They are totally kid friendly, and have a restaurant.

The ferry to Bainbridge Island and a meal over there might also be a good alternative for the evening. 30 minute trip on the boat each way, and plenty of good places to eat, and the trip back at twilight can be spectacular for sunset watching in the late summer/early fall:

http://www.bainbridgeisland.org/dining.htm

The Mariners are out of town those two days, which is probably a good thing, given their atrocious record of late. The 'Hawks are also out of town at that time, but the tours of both QWest Field and Safeco Field are very enjoyable and informative.

There is probably enough there to keep you busy for the time that you are here, but I have plenty more where those came from should you need them.

We are not huge on 'nightlife' ourselves. Is downtown dangerous after dark? I'm sure we wouldn't be just wandering around with kids in tow at night, but may go out to eat or something.

The Bainbridge Island looks like it might be a nice change of pace from the city. Is it a big island or a tourist destination?

Being on the beach in Florida, I know how it is with lots of nice things around that you might never actually go to yourself, but visitors eat it up. Thanks for all your help.

We are arriving Thurs. Sept. 4 in Seattle for our cruise on the Infinity on the 5th. I apologizeto everyone,but I can't scroll thru all the pages to see if my questions has been answered.

We are staying at the Sheraton downtown where is there a liquor store nearby so we can but wine, soda and water to take with us on the crusise?

How far are we from Pike's and the space needle? This is our 1st trip to Seattle.

Thanks,

Phyllsi

We are not huge on 'nightlife' ourselves. Is downtown dangerous after dark? I'm sure we wouldn't be just wandering around with kids in tow at night, but may go out to eat or something.

The Bainbridge Island looks like it might be a nice change of pace from the city. Is it a big island or a tourist destination?

Most areas of downtown are pretty safe after dark, especially on weekends and near the major hotels and restaurants. You will see some homeless, but bring your street smarts along with you and you should be fine. You can always get taxis for door-to-door service if you're at all nervous. A few areas do tend to draw the drug dealers, etc., so again .. street smarts and just be aware of your surroundings. You can always ask at the hotel about specifics if you have a certain restaurant in mind, etc.

Bainbridge is a nice little destination. Very quiet, peaceful and removed from the city. The ferry drops you within walking distance of the town, which is a nice tourist destination. Shops, cafes, a waterfront park, etc.

Being on the beach in Florida, I know how it is with lots of nice things around that you might never actually go to yourself, but visitors eat it up. Thanks for all your help.

I would not go so far as to say dangerous, no. But, as in all big cities, you need to be aware of your surroundings, ignore those who try to panhandle or make comments to you, and act as if you belong and know where you are going. If you do that, you should have no problems whatsoever.

I used to live on BI, and it is a nice place. Quiet, friendly, but still with a lot to do. It is really a residential place for the most part, but there are lots of galleries, shops and restaurants that appeal to visitors, as well.

We are arriving Thurs. Sept. 4 in Seattle for our cruise on the Infinity on the 5th. I apologizeto everyone,but I can't scroll thru all the pages to see if my questions has been answered.

We are staying at the Sheraton downtown where is there a liquor store nearby so we can but wine, soda and water to take with us on the crusise?

How far are we from Pike's and the space needle? This is our 1st trip to Seattle.

Thanks,

Phyllsi

If you don't' want hard liquor, you can get wine, sodas and water at the IGA Market in the basement of the Kress Building at 3rd Av and Pike, which is three blocks west of the Sheraton.

You are about 6-7 blocks east of the Market, and about 1.5 miles south of the Seattle Center/Space Needle.

Hi Karen and everyone else. I have a ways yet. I am booking an Alaska cruise May 10, 2009 on the Star Princess. I am taking 2 daughters who will be 22 and 17. Does anyone know how satisfied we will be on that cruise line. I know the cruise ship doesn't leave until 4 PM, the Hotels are expensive for just a sleep over, am I crazy to try and fly in with my 2 girls the same day we cruise out. If so, what would be the cheapest and less confusing thing to do where I have to go from the airport to the Hotel or dock. The airport I think will cost around $108 for the 3 of us round trip to the docks, if there is a Hotel that includes the trip to the docks than maybe with that kind of price included would be worthwhile. Since I would plan on flying out the same day are cruise comes into port what are my options for us to get to the airport and the cheapest. A divorced dad trying to do my best with my girls without having to go broke before we even start. I apologize if this seems repetitive from other threads it can be long and confusing to go from one to the other.

Thanks so much,

John

Hi Karen and everyone else. I have a ways yet. I am booking an Alaska cruise May 10, 2009 on the Star Princess. I am taking 2 daughters who will be 22 and 17. Does anyone know how satisfied we will be on that cruise line. I know the cruise ship doesn't leave until 4 PM, the Hotels are expensive for just a sleep over, am I crazy to try and fly in with my 2 girls the same day we cruise out. If so, what would be the cheapest and less confusing thing to do where I have to go from the airport to the Hotel or dock. The airport I think will cost around $108 for the 3 of us round trip to the docks, if there is a Hotel that includes the trip to the docks than maybe with that kind of price included would be worthwhile. Since I would plan on flying out the same day are cruise comes into port what are my options for us to get to the airport and the cheapest. A divorced dad trying to do my best with my girls without having to go broke before we even start. I apologize if this seems repetitive from other threads it can be long and confusing to go from one to the other.

Thanks so much,

John

John: You should LOVE Princess. It is a nice mid-market cruise line, and the Grand Class ships have plenty of room, despite the number of passengers aboard. The DD's should love it as well.

As a TA, and a frequent cruiser, I would NEVER EVER recommend coming in the day of a cruise, especially in the beginning of the season. There are just too many things that can go wrong, weatherwise and otherwise.

If Princess still departs from terminal 30 next year, it would cost you about $40-50 for a taxi for all three of you from the airport to the pier. If they are leaving from Pier 91 (as planned at this moment), add about $10-15 to that.

None of the airport hotels have their own shuttles to the pier. A few of the downtown hotels do, but the price differential on the room nights is significant between airport and downtown hotels.

If you absolutely have to come in the day that you sail, get on the earliest flight in the morning that you can, consider taking cruise line transfers to protect you a bit from missing the sailing, and ABSOLUTELY get travel insurance that covers you for missing the ship.

Karen

I have come across a hotel in my research called Hotel DECA a Boutique hotel that looks very nice and at least reasonable.....(I know based on ones definition).

You know anything about this hotel? Good area??

Would appreciate a quick overview if you are familiar with it.

Thanks again

Jim

Hotel DECA is well outside of the downtown Seattle core but it would be reasonably convenient for a pre-cruise stay. It depends on what you want to do. The hotel itself has been there for a zillion years but its incarnation as Hotel DECA is fairly recent.

Its location puts it on a lot of bus lines and I see that they offer free parking(!) and cruise shuttle. I know nothing about the hotel other than

what I'm seeing on the website.

Hotel DECA is well outside of the downtown Seattle core but it would be reasonably convenient for a pre-cruise stay. It depends on what you want to do. The hotel itself has been there for a zillion years but its incarnation as Hotel DECA is fairly recent.

Its location puts it on a lot of bus lines and I see that they offer free parking(!) and cruise shuttle. I know nothing about the hotel other than

what I'm seeing on the website.

The DECA is the current incarnation of the University Tower hotel, a lovely art deco landmark that's been in operation for 50+ years.

We stayed there often when we lived in Alaska and came to Seattle on trips, and have had family stay there more recently.

It's quite comfortable and can have some great views from the upper floors. The restaurant on premises is okay but not terribly special; however in the University District (which it's in) are numerous places to eat, some of them good, most of them cheap.

If you're interested in the area, have a look at the Watertown Hotel and the University Inn (sister properties) which are also quite comfortable and usually well priced. I think they also offer shuttle services - downtown for sure, maybe the cruise docks also.

I live about 10-15 minutes south of the U District in South Lake Union, and another 10 minutes north of downtown, as the bus "flies", so you are looking at anywhere from 20-25 minutes from there to downtown by bus, depending on the hour of the day and the amount of traffic. The good new is, there are plenty of buses from about 5:00 am to 12:30 am or so...anywhere from every 10-30 minutes, again depending on the hour of the day.

Thanks so much,

John

You will be very satisfied with this cruise ship. I just returned last night from sailing the Star Princess, we had a great time! The ship was wonderful, food was OK, too salty though, and the Alaska experience was amazing! There are plenty of onboard activities, if your older girl likes nightlife, there is plenty of that, as well as a teen club. Afternoon tea was fun. Go to the Princess board and ask about activities on Princess ships.

As far as Seattle, I also would recommend getting in a day early. We flew in Saturday night and stayed at the Radisson Sea Tac. Paid $109 making a reservation through their website as a club member. Online we could only book a king room, we noted that we needed a double or a roll away. When we checked in we were given a suite with a hideabed at no extra charge, very nice. It was your basic nice business hotel, did not think much of their restaurant, but adequate for one night. Mainly we wanted the free shuttle from the airport and the price was right. If you are up for it, try to book through Priceline. To get to the port the next morning, I booked with J & S Towncar (jandstowncar.com). We were picked up in a stretch limo before 10 AM and driven to the dock for $65. There we 5 of us total, they do have a towncar that would fit 3 for about $45. Way better than the shuttle! If you do fly in early, choose a hotel at the airport, they are cheaper than in town, the trip to the dock from here is not that far, and book a towncar or limo, cheaper than Shuttle Express. Or use Seattle Express, I think it is $12 to $15PP from most airport hotels to the cruise ship docks.

For Alaska excursions, browse the Alaska port boards and ask for advice, there are many less expensive options than the cruise line tours. We did not take any cruise line tours and had a wonderful experience at much less cost, good luck with your planning!

You will be very satisfied with this cruise ship. I just returned last night from sailing the Star Princess, we had a great time! The ship was wonderful, food was OK, too salty though, and the Alaska experience was amazing! There are plenty of onboard activities, if your older girl likes nightlife, there is plenty of that, as well as a teen club. Afternoon tea was fun. Go to the Princess board and ask about activities on Princess ships.

As far as Seattle, I also would recommend getting in a day early. We flew in Saturday night and stayed at the Radisson Sea Tac. Paid $109 making a reservation through their website as a club member. Online we could only book a king room, we noted that we needed a double or a roll away. When we checked in we were given a suite with a hideabed at no extra charge, very nice. It was your basic nice business hotel, did not think much of their restaurant, but adequate for one night. Mainly we wanted the free shuttle from the airport and the price was right. If you are up for it, try to book through Priceline. To get to the port the next morning, I booked with J & S Towncar (jandstowncar.com). We were picked up in a stretch limo before 10 AM and driven to the dock for $65. There we 5 of us total, they do have a towncar that would fit 3 for about $45. Way better than the shuttle! If you do fly in early, choose a hotel at the airport, they are cheaper than in town, the trip to the dock from here is not that far, and book a towncar or limo, cheaper than Shuttle Express. Or use Seattle Express, I think it is $12 to $15PP from most airport hotels to the cruise ship docks.

For Alaska excursions, browse the Alaska port boards and ask for advice, there are many less expensive options than the cruise line tours. We did not take any cruise line tours and had a wonderful experience at much less cost, good luck with your planning!

You know sometimes in our quest to get close to the pier we forget that it is indeed much cheaper to stay at the airport. We probably have been looking at this in the wrong way. We are coming in a day early so we will look at the airport as a real possibility.

Thanks for jogging my memory the way we used to do it.:)

We arrived after 9 PM Saturday, as we had to work that day, so a close hotel was essential. Cheaper was also a big plus. We had no time to site see before the cruise so being downtown was not necessary, having a bed close by was.

Hi Karen, My wife and I have a meeting to attend in Seattle following a cruise to Alaska on Holland America. We are staying downtown near Pike Street and the convention center (Hotel Andra). Could you recommend restaurants that have great food and are also a good value for the $$$? We like locals places or just places with casual ambience. Thanks is advance for your reply. Rich

Hi Karen, My wife and I have a meeting to attend in Seattle following a cruise to Alaska on Holland America. We are staying downtown near Pike Street and the convention center (Hotel Andra). Could you recommend restaurants that have great food and are also a good value for the $$$? We like locals places or just places with casual ambience. Thanks is advance for your reply. Rich

Rich: You are within two blocks of a number of really good places to eat. Restaurant Lola is "in" the Andra, and is one of Chef Tom Douglas' restaurants...Greek in theme. Directly across the street is the Dahlia, which is a NW fusion cuisine (also Chef Douglas') and Serious Pie, which is Chef Douglas' pizza entry. Just one block east on Virginia at 5th is the Icon Grill. This is a place that you HAVE to go to if you are able. They may not be there too much longer, as there are plans to build another miserable 40+ story hotel/condo on that corner, and their food is to kill for.

Typically in Seattle, reservations are a must for dinner, less so for lunch. All of the ones mentioned are both local favorites and casual in ambience.

Karen, Thanks for all the information in the many threads about Seattle. We have a long wait till next May before our cruise, but reading all the information has already got me excited.

Quick hotel question, I have not seen any mention of the Holiday Inn on Dexter. It has fairly good reviews and is close to the Space Needle. With Princess moving to the new pier on the north side it looks like a god location. Any problems I should know about before I reserve for a prenight at this location?

Karen, Thanks for all the information in the many threads about Seattle. We have a long wait till next May before our cruise, but reading all the information has already got me excited.

Quick hotel question, I have not seen any mention of the Holiday Inn on Dexter. It has fairly good reviews and is close to the Space Needle. With Princess moving to the new pier on the north side it looks like a god location. Any problems I should know about before I reserve for a prenight at this location?

Like the rest of downtown and Belltown, that area requires vigilance at night.....being aware of your surroundings, ignoring panhandlers and others trying to get something from you, and acting as if you belong and know where you are going. Other than that, no problems at all.

We are staying Renton and want to buy wine for the ship. We will have a car. Is there anything close? Open on Sunday? Do the Walmart's sell wine?

thanks

You know, the WalMart in Renton is so far away from me that I never go there (and it is the closest one to me), so I don't know the answer to that specific part of the question. Most supermarkets sell beer and wine, but are not allowed to sell any hard liquor if you are wanting that, too.

The state store in Renton downtown is the only state store in Renton that is open on Sunday, and they are open from noon to 5 pm. They sell both wine and hard liquor:

RENTON-DOWNTOWN

465 RENTON CENTER WAY

RENTON WA 98057-2330

Hi, Karen. I am hoping you can help me decide something regarding transfers. We are flying in on 9/11 and will be booking a town car service from SEATAC to the Sheraton Seattle Downtown ($45) We will also book the same town car service on our return on 9/19 back to the airport ($40 using coupon on internet).

On 9/12 we need to go from the Sheraton over to Pier 66. The Sheraton suggested we just go by cab because it is not very far.... they said around $6??? But then I've been reading about cab lines being long at the hotels going over to the port, so I don't know if that will be a good option for us or not. There will be 4 of us going from the hotel to the pier, so I considered a stretch limo from hotel to port.... I was quoted $50 for that little jaunt. Of course, we would be splitting the cost with the other couple. I did not, however, get a quote for a town car from the Sheraton to Pier 66...do you know what that runs?

I guess all that explanation was to just ask: what do you think our best option is to get from the Sheraton to Pier 66 the day we sail (9/12)?

Thanks,

Marsha

Archived