Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

What are the names of some of the new hotels being built in Seattle? I have so enjoyed this thread and all of Karen's wonderful information and am now getting a bit more serious regarding a May 2009 cruise out of Seattle. Am planning 3 days stay before the cruise and one day after so have been thinking seriously about finding the right rooms. Haven't seen any activiity on this thread for some time now but hope it picks up again. Is there any definite progress on Pier 91 yet? Are there places to eat downtown that aren't too pricey? Is the Duck Tour a worthwhile trip? Sorry to have so many questions but hoping to make more progress on my Alaska cruise adventure soon. Thanks for all your help. Judy

Does anyone have recomendations for restaurants in Seattle that are not too pricey? Also, can anyone tel me if the Duck Tours are worthwhile? Is Karen still around? Sure loved reading all Karen's helpful hints and info. Judy

I'm here, just not as often. I just went back to work three weeks ago after nearly six months off, and it is taking me some time to get back into the routine.

Icon Grille (fried macaroni and cheese to kill for, and a great menu all around)

Any of Tom Douglas' restaurants.....the Dahlia Lounge, Lola, Simple Pie, Palace Kitchen. ( A little more pricey, but well worth it)

Avoid eating at the Space Needle at all costs

Pike Place Brewery and Pub

There are more, but you should tell me what you like and don't like first.....

Duck Tours well worth it.

I'll throw in a second for the Icon Grill. We went there for dinner pre cruise last September at your suggestion and had a great time! The decor was fun and the food was great! There was just way too much of it.... I'd suggest sharing. We went early (around 5:00) because we were on Texas time, and it wasn't crowded. Our service was awesome.....except by the end of the meal the entire restaurant was packed, and our waiter had to share his attention. I'll take this opportunity to say "thanks!" Karen.

~Marsha

Karen, the places you listed are just my style. The Icon Grille looks like a fantastic place, a "must do" in my book. Are there several new hotels that will be completed before May 2009? Will this mean much more availability and lower prices? Should I wait on finding a room for May 22-24 or go ahead and book something now? I sure appreciate all your great advice. How is work going? Sounds like you've been getting a bit of hard weather there lately. Take care and thanks again..............Judy

I've got one for you that has nothing to do with cruising. My son is thinking about moving to your area. He is looking at the Bremerton/Port Orchard area so he can commute to Tacoma and still take the shuttle over to Seattle to do all the fun stuff. What is the Kitsap area like and is it a safe place for a 24 Year Old Respiratory Therapist to live??

it is safe. and kinda in the woods. the commute will drive him nuts and cost him $4 a day. the narrows bridge to tacoma has a new toll.

I'm looking at the same two hotels.

We are arriving in Seattle on June 4th (which is our 33rd anniversary) and sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas on the 5th. Of course, I'm looking for a nice, safe area that we can enjoy a nice evening to celebrate...any other suggestions would be welcome. :)

try matts at the market for dinner. very small and very good retaurant. right in pike place. look for the signs on pike street

Karen, the places you listed are just my style. The Icon Grille looks like a fantastic place, a "must do" in my book. Are there several new hotels that will be completed before May 2009? Will this mean much more availability and lower prices? Should I wait on finding a room for May 22-24 or go ahead and book something now? I sure appreciate all your great advice. How is work going? Sounds like you've been getting a bit of hard weather there lately. Take care and thanks again..............Judy

More hotels, yes. Cheaper prices.....I would not hold my breath for too long. Work is going well, thank you. I am looking out the window at snow and 20 degree temps right now.

Glad you enjoyed the Icon. Don't know how much longer it will be in its current location, as they are planning to demolish it and build another 40+ story building where it is.

Thanks so much Karen and Gardyloo, for the great information you provided. That is quite a list of new hotels and will keep my busy for awhile researching them all.

Sorry about your weather there Karen. Was close to 80 degrees here in SW Florida today. Does it rain almost every day in May in Seattle? Is Pier 91 starting to come together yet? Thanks again for all the info. Happy holidays. Judy

Thanks so much Karen and Gardyloo, for the great information you provided. That is quite a list of new hotels and will keep my busy for awhile researching them all.

Sorry about your weather there Karen. Was close to 80 degrees here in SW Florida today. Does it rain almost every day in May in Seattle? Is Pier 91 starting to come together yet? Thanks again for all the info. Happy holidays. Judy

For those whom we don't want to move up here and increase the population......yes, it rains 365 days a year, HARD.......!! But the truth is, we get less rain here than you do in Florida in a year's time. It's cloudy a lot, but our annual rainfall totals about 37".

From what I could see, it looks like nothing at all is happening at Pier 91, but they still swear it will be ready by April. Go figure....

it is safe. and kinda in the woods. the commute will drive him nuts and cost him $4 a day. the narrows bridge to tacoma has a new toll.

Having lived in Southern California for many years, the drive from Port Orchard to Tacoma is a piece of cake. I can do that drive standing on my head compared to driving the Santa Ana freeway in Los Angeles. It's all relative. The only downside is the toll.:):)

Having lived in Southern California for many years, the drive from Port Orchard to Tacoma is a piece of cake. I can do that drive standing on my head compared to driving the Santa Ana freeway in Los Angeles. It's all relative. The only downside is the toll.:):)

That's been almost a year ago now. Wonder if he ever made it up here? I never heard from him.

Not Karen - love her advice, always right on the money! - But as to our weather, I can tell you its pretty cold in these parts. As I write this is about 14 dregrees and snowing and also very windy, not sure what the wind chill factor is, but burrr cold:eek: Karen is in the city and I'm close to the foothills of the cascade mountain range.

We picked up my in-laws at SEA-TAC on thursday when all this snow started and spent almost four hours on I-405! (should be about 1/2 hour drive when traffic is good) WHAT A MESS!! semi trucks jack-knifed, cars sliding into each other. Was very glad to get back in my house. We had to walk up our hill, our car would not make it.

Anyway, Karen, I sure hope that you are all right and that you don't loose power in this cold weather. Last year we were out for five days!

Someone PLEASE take me on a cruise!!!:D

Take care everyone, I know the east coast is going through this , too.

Melody:)

Hey Karen, are you staying warm and safe in all that weather you guys are having?

Safe, yes. Warm is a matter of personal opinion, I guess (I prefer to be cold over being hot, so it is not horribly uncomfortable for me). We are in the process of moving, plus I have not been able to get into work since last Wednesday, as the buses are not going up to Pill Hill where I work, due to the ice and snow on the grades. So here I sit, finishing my packing and hoping that the movers will be able to get here on Saturday as planned, so that my management company does not have a hissy fit, so to speak.

Not Karen - love her advice, always right on the money! - But as to our weather, I can tell you its pretty cold in these parts. As I write this is about 14 dregrees and snowing and also very windy, not sure what the wind chill factor is, but burrr cold:eek: Karen is in the city and I'm close to the foothills of the cascade mountain range.

We picked up my in-laws at SEA-TAC on thursday when all this snow started and spent almost four hours on I-405! (should be about 1/2 hour drive when traffic is good) WHAT A MESS!! semi trucks jack-knifed, cars sliding into each other. Was very glad to get back in my house. We had to walk up our hill, our car would not make it.

Anyway, Karen, I sure hope that you are all right and that you don't loose power in this cold weather. Last year we were out for five days!

Someone PLEASE take me on a cruise!!!:D

Take care everyone, I know the east coast is going through this , too.

Melody:)

Melody: We currently live in South Lake Union, and are moving back to Belltown on Saturday. Buses have been hit or miss here (mostly miss), so have had to walk downtown from here to get my daughter to work and attempt to get up to First Hill for me.......3 hours to go less than 3 miles. S***s, if you know what I mean.

One of my RN coworkers lives in Sammamish. Lucky for him (sort of) that he had scheduled this week off, anyway, because he likely would not have made it in to work either, since he is a bus commuter.

My cousin is supposed to fly there Christmas Day to visit my cousin who lives in Redmond. We'll see what actually happens with that.

Keep safe Karen!

The airport is working better than it has been, the roads are a little better after yesterday's rain, but still no great shakes. I HAVE to get to work tomorrow, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope.

A blessed Christmas to you and yours.

Question is about long term parking. We are leaving in June out of Vancouver, but one of the couple's is driving from FL to Seattle then going to take the train to Vancouver. They will need to leave their car for about 2.5 weeks, so wanted to know the best and most economical place for that. They will be flying back in to Seattle from Anchorage and driving back home.

Thanks again for your help.

Susan

We (DH and I) are booked to cruise to Alaska on the Rhapsody July 10, 2009. I know it is early, but I try to get things set up at least 6 months out. Do you know what pier the Rhapsody will be using the 2009 season? I will be spending two days at the Seattle Hilton downtown pre cruise, gift from daughter. I am trying to decide if I want to stay in Seattle the day we return or schedule a flight home. We are diamond so will be able to get off ship early to made it to the airport for an afternoon flight without stress. We return the 17th and the Bite of Seattle opens that day. If they finish Pier 91 is RC going to move there? I guess my thought is the traffic at Pier 91 won't be as bad as downtown. I took the time to read the whole thing. We cruised out of Seattle in 2003 and reading this thread I see we missed a lot of must sees. This is a wonderful informative thread, thank you all.

Yes, RCCL is supposed to be at Pier 91 next year.

I stayed over 2 days after my cruise and it was wonderful not having to stress about catching a flight that last morning. Plus I got to see some more of beautiful Seattle.

Archived