Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

So if we stay at the Marriott Waterfront... do they have a shuttle to the pier or would we need to take a taxi? I don't want to use Princess transfers.

Thanks again!

VB1

They offered a shuttle to Terminal 30 this past year. I can't remember the cost, but it was relatively inexpensive. I'm certain they'll offer some kind of shuttle to Pier 91 this year. If not, the bellhops will gladly arrange transportation to the pier for you. We wanted to go earlier than their shuttles, and they arranged a private van transfer for us to Terminal 30, for a reasonable amount.

Keep watch on Marriott's website, last year they even offered a "Cruise Special" booking that included transfers to the pier and breakfast in with your room rate.

How far do you like to walk? I can't think of one in easy walking distance. But it's an easy cab ride or long walk to a new QFC supermarket on Mercer St, near Seattle Center, or the best wine store ever, Pete's, right on Lake Union, off East Lake Ave. It might be hard to find, however, or you could mapquest it . There's also a Whole Foods on Denny, not that terribly far from the Courtyard - all depends on how far you like to walk. Always wine close by in Seattle!

Is there a wine shop close to the Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Lake Union? I would like to pickup a couple of nice bottles of wine and possibly some champagne before we board?

Thanks,

VB1

You walk about a block and a half to the SLUT stop at So. Lake Union Park, then ride the trolley to the Westlake and Denny station (3rd stop) and into the Whole Foods there.

Your hotel is right about under the circled "17-74" number at the top left of this map: http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/map/

Hey Karen,

How's it going since our cruise last Sept. Going back again this year but in July, almost picked the same one your going on in Aug the 16th but happens to me my youngest DS BD so were going for my DH BD instead.

I just heard that Princess is now leaving our of pier 91?? instead of my the baseball field. Can you give me some names of hotels that are in that area. Also what is that area call for example: Lake Union etc.

TIA

We are looking for a convenient (clean!) inexpensive hotel for the night before the cruise. I found the Executive Pacific Hotel for $179 - what do you think?

I am hoping to take public transport to the Space Needle in the a.m.

not much in the way of hotels near pier 91 - probably the closest would be the Homewood Suites on/near Elliott Ave. Other than that, several around the Seattle Center i.e. Hampton Inn, Marqueen Suites...then plenty, as has been discussed, in the downtown area. There is really not much around pier 91 - it's close to a pretty park - Myrtle Edwards/new Olympic Sculpture Garden & a very nice restaurant (muy $$$) - Palisades but nothing in the way of tourist attractions.

Hey Karen,

I just heard that Princess is now leaving our of pier 91?? instead of my the baseball field. Can you give me some names of hotels that are in that area. Also what is that area call for example: Lake Union etc.

TIA

Thanks for asking this - I was going to post the same question but you beat me to it! I read that Pike Place closes at 6 p.m. and does not open until 11 am on Sunday it makes no sense for us to stay close to there but closer to the pier.

My questions: would it be better to stay by the airport or the pier? Also how much would transportation from the airport to the pier be? We are going on the Star Princess 05/10/09.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Mary in NC

not much in the way of hotels near pier 91 - probably the closest would be the Homewood Suites on/near Elliott Ave. Other than that, several around the Seattle Center i.e. Hampton Inn, Marqueen Suites...then plenty, as has been discussed, in the downtown area. There is really not much around pier 91 - it's close to a pretty park - Myrtle Edwards/new Olympic Sculpture Garden & a very nice restaurant (muy $$$) - Palisades but nothing in the way of tourist attractions.

Thanks for the info. Guess it's back to the drawing board as to where we are going to stay........:confused:

We are arriving in Seattle on June 6, we have four in our group. We are staying at the Springhill Suites and cruising on the Star Princess. What is the best best way to get from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to pier 91 and when we return from the cruise, get from the pier to the train station?

We would like to take the 9:45am or 11:20am train to Portland, will we have enough time to make this train after debarkation?

We're flying into Seattle and catching the train to Vancouver the next am. We'll be needing transport for 7, one in a carseat, SEA to a downtown hotel, then to the train station in the morning. I know nothing about the area, and there are so many hotels that pop up when I looked online. So here's my questions:

1. Transport options...private car vs taxi? And approx fares from SEA to hotel, hotel to train?

2. Hotel options...we're travelling in July, which I'm sure is prime season. Since its only overnight, I'd rather not spend more than $200 per room (we'll need 2). We would like to be able to walk the city a bit, I missed the Space Needle on our last trip through town. :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have one more question and I think I'll be all set... When you arrive at the Seattle airport, can you just walk outside the terminal and grab a taxi? Is there a queue setup (like Ft. Lauderdale or LAX), or do you need to call?

Thanks again to everyone!

VB1

I have one more question and I think I'll be all set... When you arrive at the Seattle airport, can you just walk outside the terminal and grab a taxi? Is there a queue setup (like Ft. Lauderdale or LAX), or do you need to call?

Thanks again to everyone!

VB1

You go up one level (escalator or lift) from the bag claim, walk across a skybridge to the parking garage, down a floor, and there's the taxi queue.

fieldmom, the Marriott Waterfront will be perfect for you as NCL uses Pier 66 - the pier directly across the street.

Travel Jen is sailing Princess which is scheduled to use Pier 91 next year which is farther away. That being said, we found Marriott Waterfront highly convenient this year for exploring the waterfront and Pike Place Market. The staff was wonderful about helping us arrange a ride to the pier (we were at Terminal 30).

Oh, you're right. I've since been deep in research and I see this to be true. I'm playing catchup after the Holidays. Did Travel Jen book the Inn? I've seen pix and it looks wonderful.

What are the names of some of the new hotels being built in Seattle? I have so enjoyed this thread and all of Karen's wonderful information and am now getting a bit more serious regarding a May 2009 cruise out of Seattle. Am planning 3 days stay before the cruise and one day after so have been thinking seriously about finding the right rooms. Haven't seen any activiity on this thread for some time now but hope it picks up again. Is there any definite progress on Pier 91 yet? Are there places to eat downtown that aren't too pricey? Is the Duck Tour a worthwhile trip? Sorry to have so many questions but hoping to make more progress on my Alaska cruise adventure soon. Thanks for all your help. Judy

Jemnibabe - I'm playing catchup and I see the chatter has picked up a little since before the hectic Holidays. I'm glad to see that. I guess everyone is getting set now. I hear the Duck Tour is worth the time and money. I am so hoping for good weather so I can enjoy it.

They offered a shuttle to Terminal 30 this past year. I can't remember the cost, but it was relatively inexpensive. I'm certain they'll offer some kind of shuttle to Pier 91 this year. If not, the bellhops will gladly arrange transportation to the pier for you. We wanted to go earlier than their shuttles, and they arranged a private van transfer for us to Terminal 30, for a reasonable amount.

Keep watch on Marriott's website, last year they even offered a "Cruise Special" booking that included transfers to the pier and breakfast in with your room rate.

I see that Residence Inn is offering a big cruise package. I think it's the Residence Inn Lake something or other.

We did the Duck tour last year and had a great time. The driver was very, very funny and it was an all round great experience.

If you are planning to go to the Space Needle the Ducks are just across from there. Go to the Duck and book your tour before the needle as there may not be space right away. We went to the needle first and then had to wait 90 m inutes for space on a Duck. We could have used that time to go up the needle.

Archived