Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

How big do you think the trunk of a taxi would be from the port to the airport? I was hoping just to catch the taxi after the cruise but then I started to worry if the luggage would fit. We will probably have 2 large suitcases, medium and a carry one.

How big do you think the trunk of a taxi would be from the port to the airport? I was hoping just to catch the taxi after the cruise but then I started to worry if the luggage would fit. We will probably have 2 large suitcases, medium and a carry one.

Luckily, there are still a fair amount of standard sedan taxis left in town, and they would hold it. One of the new hybrid ones, though, not so much, and they are increasing daily.

If you get a standard sedan taxi, no problem with that. Believe me as my best friend and I are members of overpackers anonymous and fit in one of those.

Now, the hybrid taxis - unlikely. We still fall over laughing because the taxi dispatcher at SeaTac attempted 3 times to stuff is into one of those things despite us telling him we would NOT fit in one (shouldn't have had to say it, it was pretty obvious).

The Lake Union area looks slightly less expensive, and I like the deal at Residence Inn. A question. How easy is it to get public (wheelchair accessible) transit to and from there to Pikes Market and that area?

I do like the idea of a nice breakfast on cruise day like they have at the Residence Inn, so my cruise companions have a reason to get up and about and don't just hang around the hotel room. (I have a feeling I will be the one making sure we get to the cruise early and those kinds of things, lol.) Of course for the cruise day. I will get a cab to the pier.

I just called the Residence Inn Lake in Seattle and got a price for the cruise package I think it is a pretty good price so now I have to decide if I should book it or not. Is there alot of stuff close by within walking distance like Pikes Market, Space Needle things like that?

I just called the Residence Inn Lake in Seattle and got a price for the cruise package I think it is a pretty good price so now I have to decide if I should book it or not. Is there alot of stuff close by within walking distance like Pikes Market, Space Needle things like that?

Space Needle about 1.5 miles

Pike Place Market about 2.5 miles

Downtown about 2.5 miles

Lake Union across the street

Several restaurants within 5-6 blocks (some directly across the street)

Luckily, both the bus and the Seattle Streetcar (which will get you downtown) stop in front of the hotel going northbound and across the street going southbound (into downtown)

The Lake Union area looks slightly less expensive, and I like the deal at Residence Inn. A question. How easy is it to get public (wheelchair accessible) transit to and from there to Pikes Market and that area?

I do like the idea of a nice breakfast on cruise day like they have at the Residence Inn, so my cruise companions have a reason to get up and about and don't just hang around the hotel room. (I have a feeling I will be the one making sure we get to the cruise early and those kinds of things, lol.) Of course for the cruise day. I will get a cab to the pier.

Both Metro buses and the Seattle Streetcar stop in front of (northbound, away from downtown) and across the street from (southbound, toward downtown) the hotel and both are wheelchair accessible. Do know, however, that if you are travelling during peak hours and the buses are standing room only (which they often are) that the drivers will often not pick up a wheelchair passenger.

Seattlecruiselover--

My daughters and I will be sailing the Pearl May 31st.

We are from Indianapolis and I work for a restaurant that is based out of Seattle, Palomino. We have several other restaurants there including Palisade's and Maggie's Bluff which I would like to visit.

My question--is there an inexpensive hotel option close to these two restaurants? I have checked Hotwire, but I'm not sure which area to choose.

I am considering flying in the 30th which is a Saturday, and then renting a car at SEATAC. I have read that rentals can be returned at the port, and have had experience doing this when cruising out of Florida.

Do you feel that this is a good plan? Would you have other advise? Thanks for any info you can provide!

Seattlecruiselover--

My daughters and I will be sailing the Pearl May 31st.

We are from Indianapolis and I work for a restaurant that is based out of Seattle, Palomino. We have several other restaurants there including Palisade's and Maggie's Bluff which I would like to visit.

My question--is there an inexpensive hotel option close to these two restaurants? I have checked Hotwire, but I'm not sure which area to choose.

I am considering flying in the 30th which is a Saturday, and then renting a car at SEATAC. I have read that rentals can be returned at the port, and have had experience doing this when cruising out of Florida.

Do you feel that this is a good plan? Would you have other advise? Thanks for any info you can provide!

There are no hotels anywhere near Maggie Bluffs, which is in the area of the marina in Magnolia, and near the new and hopefully soon to be opened Terminal 91 cruise terminal.

As for Palomino, it is on 5th Av in central downtown, there are tons of hotels nearby, just depends on your budget (the average nightly rate is about $300 plus 10-12% (it's going up) room tax for two people).

Palisades is in Bellevue, which is about 10-15 miles east of downtown and, again, there are plenty of hotels there, and their rates approximate those in downtown Seattle.

You should still be able to return cars to Thrifty at Pier 48 and then shuttle to Pier 66 (it will cost you a pretty penny to do it, though, with a different drop site than the pick up). If you are going to have a car anyway, you might rather stay down by the airport, where room rates average about half of what they are downtown (airport is 15 miles south of downtown).

We are flying in to Seattle and meeting family who are renting a vehicle and driving into Seattle. They are planning on parking the car at the bell street pier for our May 31-June 7 cruise on NCL, (since the fees to drop off the vehicle at a different location than renting are more expensive than renting the car for the extra week and parking it.) I read that there are handicap spots available at the pier parking. Are the rates the same? During this time frame, is wise to pre-pay for parking so we are guaranteed a space, or should we be able to just drive in and park? Are there any discounts for pre-paying? Thanks for any info!

We are flying in to Seattle and meeting family who are renting a vehicle and driving into Seattle. They are planning on parking the car at the bell street pier for our May 31-June 7 cruise on NCL, (since the fees to drop off the vehicle at a different location than renting are more expensive than renting the car for the extra week and parking it.) I read that there are handicap spots available at the pier parking. Are the rates the same? During this time frame, is wise to pre-pay for parking so we are guaranteed a space, or should we be able to just drive in and park? Are there any discounts for pre-paying? Thanks for any info!

I know you can pre-reserve, but I'm not sure how far in advance. They did have special slots for handicapped tags the last time I was there. Get all the info here:

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/parkingandtransportation.shtml

We are arriving the evening before our cruise so I just booked through priceline at the airport area. I got the Doubletree for $45 on 18740 International Blvd. Does anyone know if this is walking distance to any inexpensive chain restaurants or stores to grab a quick snack or breakfast. I know the hotel has a restaurant, but since we will have lunch on the ship, just quick snack and drink will do. Thanks.

I have read through all these posts in the past few months, but now that my trip is getting closer, new questions are popping up in my head! So I apologize for any repeats!

Three of us will arrive in Seattle at about noon on 5/24, take a taxi to our B&B, Shafer-Baillie Mansion in Capitol Hill (14th Ave and Aloha), and try to see (and taste) the highlights of Seattle before we leave for Vancouver the morning of 5/26. We are not planning to rent a car.

I know we'll spend several hours at Pike Place Market, and probably several more wandering and drinking lots of coffee, but we have no interest in shopping or guided tours. If the weather is good, we'll meander to downtown by foot from our B&B, and someone said there are good restaurants along Broadway. Any suggestions or should we eat at Pike Place? We're not looking to spend big bucks but we do want decent food, and we eat almost anything.

Aside from the market, I have considered the Underground Tour, which appears to get mixed reviews, and walking around Fremont and Ballard since a friend lives in Ballard.

I am HUNGRY for any suggestions! Thanks!

I have read through all these posts in the past few months, but now that my trip is getting closer, new questions are popping up in my head! So I apologize for any repeats!

Three of us will arrive in Seattle at about noon on 5/24, take a taxi to our B&B, Shafer-Baillie Mansion in Capitol Hill (14th Ave and Aloha), and try to see (and taste) the highlights of Seattle before we leave for Vancouver the morning of 5/26. We are not planning to rent a car.

I know we'll spend several hours at Pike Place Market, and probably several more wandering and drinking lots of coffee, but we have no interest in shopping or guided tours. If the weather is good, we'll meander to downtown by foot from our B&B, and someone said there are good restaurants along Broadway. Any suggestions or should we eat at Pike Place? We're not looking to spend big bucks but we do want decent food, and we eat almost anything.

Aside from the market, I have considered the Underground Tour, which appears to get mixed reviews, and walking around Fremont and Ballard since a friend lives in Ballard.

I don't recommend walking to (or from) downtown from 14th & Aloha, it's a pretty hefty trip on foot. There ARE a number if good restaurants on both Broadway and 15th Avenue. There are also quite a few good restaurants in central downtown. A few that I would recommend:

Charlies near Broadway and John. It is a bar, but their food is quite good and reasonably priced.

Icon Grille at 5th and Virginia. Their fried mac and cheese is to kill for, and they have a quite varied, and moderately priced, menu.

Brava on 3rd Avenue between Lenora and Bell Sts. They are a bit more expensive, but the food is good.

Shallot at 4th and Vine. Good pan Asian cuisine and reasonably priced.

Metropolitan Grill on 2nd Av between Madison and Cherry. Up front I will admit it is expensive, but it is THE place to see and be seen in downtown Seattle, and their steaks are beyond wonderful.

SeattleCruiselover,

We will arrive in Seattle on June 6th at 2:00pm. we will be staying at the SpringHill Suites Marriot, any suggestions on what to do and how to get around in our limited time frame.

We will be cruising on the Star Princess June 7th.

SeattleCruiselover,

We will arrive in Seattle on June 6th at 2:00pm. we will be staying at the SpringHill Suites Marriot, any suggestions on what to do and how to get around in our limited time frame.

We will be cruising on the Star Princess June 7th.

Assuming you arrive on time, you probably won't be downtown much before 4 pm. The market closes at 5 on Saturday, and doesn't open til after 10 on Sunday, so you are probably going to miss that. You can go to the Space Needle if you are so inclined, it is open fairly late. Plenty of places downtown to eat a good dinner. If you are into bars and clubbing, that is an option, but do be careful where you go......

There are some great places to eat at the market

Bacco is a wonderful breakfast place w/ fresh squeezed juices - http://www.baccobeverage.com/

Beacher's Mac & Cheese is a must - http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/

If you're down at the market and want to kill some time, the Washington State Ferry to Bainbridge Island is actually kind of fun. $6.95 a person (Way back is free). Great way to see the city from the water without taking a commercial tour (Which costs much more).

If you make it out to Ballard (where I live)

Hi Life is our favorite local restaurant - http://www.chowfoods.com/hilife/ (great food & reasonable prices)

La Carta De Oaxaca has wonderful, authentic Mexican food - http://www.lacartadeoaxaca.com/

We will be in Seattle on the Fourth of July. Any recommendations? Where is "the" place to be on that holiday?

There are fireworks at lake union as well as over Elliot Bay (downtown waterfront). I've not been to either (I can see the Lake Union show from my house), but the viewing for lake union show is from Gas Works park.

I imagine the real "place to be" would be the top of the space needle, as you can see both displays from there. There is a special event held there, but their website doesn't have info yet about the '09 party.

My family will be arriving in Seattle at 12:45 on June 11th for a cruise on the 12th...if our flight is on time. We would like to explore the market and go to the space needle. I have not booked at hotel yet, I am trying to figure out if we will have time to go to the market or not. If not, I may not spend the extra money to stay in that area. Do you think that we will have time??

My family will be arriving in Seattle at 12:45 on June 11th for a cruise on the 12th...if our flight is on time. We would like to explore the market and go to the space needle. I have not booked at hotel yet, I am trying to figure out if we will have time to go to the market or not. If not, I may not spend the extra money to stay in that area. Do you think that we will have time??

The Market closes at 6 pm on weekdays, so you would likely have at least a few hours to spend there, as you ought to get downtown by 3:30 or so if you get into town on time, earlier if you are lucky.

Archived