Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

We are staying at the Marriott accross from Pier 66 the night before our cruise which also leaves out of Pier 66. I realize its close but is it close enough that we can just walk our bags accross the street to check in or is it still pretty much of a hike, particularly if we each have 2-3 bags each? I wonder too if the hotel can bring them over for you? Any experience?

I don't know if they will actually send a bellman over with them for you or not, but they will lend you one of their big luggage carts, so long as you take it back.

Hi Karen:

We are staying at the Marriott Waterfront and have tickets (Hit It Here Cafe) to the Mariners/Padres game on May 16th. Any advice for returning to the Marriott after the game? We are walkers and don't mind a nice long stroll as long as its safe. Thanks!

Hi Karen:

We are staying at the Marriott Waterfront and have tickets (Hit It Here Cafe) to the Mariners/Padres game on May 16th. Any advice for returning to the Marriott after the game? We are walkers and don't mind a nice long stroll as long as its safe. Thanks!

If you like to walk, that is probably the best and fastest way. About 1.75 to 2.0 miles. Cross 1st Av on Royal Brougham and walk westerly down to Alaskan Way. Hang a right and walk northerly until you get to the Marriott.

I get there early because I know how bad the lines are from working as a pier check in agent here in Seattle. While it is bad at 10:00 am, it is far worse from noon to 2 pm. Lines have been known to be one hour or more long at those times, as that is when the most buses are coming in from the airport.

I am staying at the Radisson SeaTac and had planned to have the driver pick us up at noon. I guess I need to change that and get to the pier earlier. Would a 10:00 pick up be OK, or earlier? Thanks, Karen, for all your help!;)

Thanks for the information.

A quick newbie question: I take it we tip the baggage handlers at the pier? $1 a bag? The "casual" longshoremen here make at least $20 an hour...the full-time make over $90,000 a year! But we do want to make sure our bags make the ship!

Thanks again

I am staying at the Radisson SeaTac and had planned to have the driver pick us up at noon. I guess I need to change that and get to the pier earlier. Would a 10:00 pick up be OK, or earlier? Thanks, Karen, for all your help!;)

If they pick you up at 10:00 you will be there by 11:00, unless traffic is REALLY bad. Should not be a problem.

Homewood Suites, western ave, is it close to downtown and how convient to catch the double decker grayline tour bus from the hotel?

Closest place to catch the Double Decker from the Homewood Suites on Western is the Space Needle, which is about 3/4 mile walk uphill. The hotel staff will tell you exactly how to get there.

Thanks for the information.

A quick newbie question: I take it we tip the baggage handlers at the pier? $1 a bag? The "casual" longshoremen here make at least $20 an hour...the full-time make over $90,000 a year! But we do want to make sure our bags make the ship!

Thanks again

Unlike MIA and FLL they don't stick their hands out here before they will touch your bags, but $1.00 per is a nice gratuity for the generally good job they do.

Unlike MIA and FLL they don't stick their hands out here before they will touch your bags, but $1.00 per is a nice gratuity for the generally good job they do.

MIA ? FLL? Miami and Fort Lauderdale?

Anyway, thanks so much for all the wonderful information. We will be having a much better time in Seattle due to your kindness to us and others. :)

And I will again ask a pesky :rolleyes: question. Thanks to the board, we have ordered a bar set-up for our room. (both of us having a fondness for rum and coke and a budget) Is there any place near the Mayflower Park to pick up a 12 pack or two? I already have an extra wheeled suitcase that tucks nicely in the bottom of my big suitcase. Thanks again.

Anyway, thanks so much for all the wonderful information. We will be having a much better time in Seattle due to your kindness to us and others. :) .

I second that!!

Dianne

So Karen, I'm wrestling with my hotel decision, I have the Hotel Max reserved on Stewart, I know the rooms are small but thought the location would be good. I really can't find out any thing negative about it.

We have stayed at the Marriott Waterfront I liked it and don't mind walking...so whadda think...would you change hotels? We will be there 2 nights then need to head to the airport.

Dianne

Anyway, thanks so much for all the wonderful information. We will be having a much better time in Seattle due to your kindness to us and others. :)

And I will again ask a pesky :rolleyes: question. Thanks to the board, we have ordered a bar set-up for our room. (both of us having a fondness for rum and coke and a budget) Is there any place near the Mayflower Park to pick up a 12 pack or two? I already have an extra wheeled suitcase that tucks nicely in the bottom of my big suitcase. Thanks again.

Of Coke (Coca-Cola, that is)? Walk down 4th Av in a northerly direction about three blocks to Ralph's Grocery across the street from the Warwick Hotel at 4th & Lenora. If you can get a 12 pack, you can certainly get two six packs or 12 individual cans, no worries.

So Karen, I'm wrestling with my hotel decision, I have the Hotel Max reserved on Stewart, I know the rooms are small but thought the location would be good. I really can't find out any thing negative about it.

We have stayed at the Marriott Waterfront I liked it and don't mind walking...so whadda think...would you change hotels? We will be there 2 nights then need to head to the airport.

Dianne

The Hotel Max, and you will be there in about ten days??? Can't think of any high profile trials going on across the street then, that I know of. You're in and out before NW Folklife Hmmm, Mother's Day? Shouldn't be a problem.

Nope, can't think of any real reason not to stay there at this point. Then again, though, I can't think of any real reason not to stay at the Marriott, either.........Sorry.

LOL, I'm changing to the Marriott!!...That where I want to be!:D

Glad that I could be of assistance by waffling all over the map....:rolleyes:

You know, peeps, we've all turned into kind of a (dysfunctional????) family here. We need to plan a cruise for all of us to go together and have some fun. I can't fly, so it will have to leave from and return to the continental US.........>

263286887_nNoKF-M.jpg

Then that's where you should be!!:p

You know, peeps, we've all turned into kind of a (dysfunctional????) family here. We need to plan a cruise for all of us to go together and have some fun. I can't fly, so it will have to leave from and return to the continental US.........>

263286887_nNoKF-M.jpg

Wow look at this picture, I love it but I also love your blog...

You are so right we should talk about the dysfunctional family cruise! I will travel up to Seattle any chance I get, so would happily leave from here. I just think that would be such a kick!

Okay, Wrp96~ 17,049 posts:D We have got to cruise together, I mean you're hooked:D . Is your name Wrona? I see the upgrade fairy visited you:D Me too Whoo hoo!!!

Dianne

Wow look at this picture, I love it but I also love your blog...

You are so right we should talk about the dysfunctional family cruise! I will travel up to Seattle any chance I get, so would happily leave from here. I just think that would be such a kick!

Okay, Wrp96~ 17,049 posts:D We have got to cruise together, I mean you're hooked:D . Is your name Wrona? I see the upgrade fairy visited you:D Me too Whoo hoo!!!

Dianne

Yep, that is Ms. Wrona, Esquire of Small Boulder AR.

Yes, I'm more than slightly addicted to cruising and to CC! It helps me let off some steam after the serious side of work.

And if you really want to have some fun come read what the Mustard of the Seas is all about. You might want to stock up on food and drink before reading though as we have over 50,000 posts!!:p

And it's less than 4 weeks until I'm back in Seattle, cruising again, and offering up my thanks to the upgrade fairy for my wonderful suite!! Speaking of Seattle, Karen what are you up to when I'm in town?

263286887_nNoKF-M.jpg

What about out of Vancouver next May 30th?:p

Archived