All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

Does anybody know what the 'Boardwalk' might be? An above poster said a pool/entertainment area, but I dont know. That will probably be one of the neighborhoods they will release later, but just thought somebody else might know a little more.

One thing that I have noticed about Central Park. It seems that RCI has designed this area more for adults than kids which IMHO is a good thing. No mention of things for kids to do.

I noticed that also. It probably will have signs "do not walk on the lawn"...lol and then we know exactly where all the unsupervised children will be :p

I'm sure they will be having an entire play area for kids somewhere on the ship.

6,000 people, they are going to need playgrounds.

I remember when my kids were younger, they always wished for a jumpy/bouncy thing, the kind you rent or find at a amusement park that blows up and you go inside and bounce around.

I hope they put up a whole area like that for kids. One of the best things about having children is watching them have a really great time having fun. So we enjoy seeing all the kids with their parents on the ship. Because we absolutely enjoyed every moment with ours when they were little. We even still like them now, even tho they are in college :D We just kind of like them better because we can cruise by ourselves while they are away at school.....lol ;)

I remember when my kids were younger, they always wished for a jumpy/bouncy thing, the kind you rent or find at a amusement park that blows up and you go inside and bounce around.

Hey we have one of those here :D The neighborhood kids love us....lol.

Alphakitty - I have a question! What cabin category did they give all of the finalists on Indy? I know, I know, it's a free cruise, who cares. But inquiring minds wanna know if they went all out and gave you all suites? :D

Seeing the renderings and the video was amazing and impressive will be looking forward to seeing what other ideas they will be coming up for the ship. I have no desire to go on the first sailings like for the kinks to be worked out first. I am also curious on how much a balcony cabin will run? I am on the Freedom this November and if Genesis is within range I will probably switch.

You won't be able to switch to the Genesis this November as she doesn't have her maiden voyage until the fall of 2009.

Hey we have one of those here :D The neighborhood kids love us....lol.

Alphakitty - I have a question! What cabin category did they give all of the finalists on Indy? I know, I know, it's a free cruise, who cares. But inquiring minds wanna know if they went all out and gave you all suites? :D

I don't know.....all I know is it says: deluxe stateroom. What do you think that will be?

I don't know.....all I know is it says: deluxe stateroom. What do you think that will be?

Kitty- I think you'll be getting a balcony stateroom. I read those rules backwards and forwards just knowing that I was going to be selected. ;)

Like CruisinMama06, I watched it over and over imaging Hubby and myself walking down that garden path and eating at Giovanni's Table. I even fell asleep thinking about this awesome new ship.

Gotta confess I have a few worries especially about what I call the "wind tunnel effect" that comes from narrow spaces between tall buildings. Being at sea would have to exaggerate that, but I have to put my faith in RCI engineers to have considered such challenges.

Hubby pointed out one aspect of the design I didn't even consider. Those Central Park balconies have no privacy. They are fully open on three sides, plus they face balconies across from themselves too. Hubby says he is sticking with ocean-facing balconies on the outside of the ship.

Regardless of the misgivings we can't wait to sail on Genesis, but I think we'll wait for a few sailings to get feedback from the adventurous first passengers.

Hubby pointed out one aspect of the design I didn't even consider. Those Central Park balconies have no privacy. They are fully open on three sides, plus they face balconies across from themselves too.

I think they are just open in between just for the drawings to show the continuity. The final ship will have normal balcony dividers I am sure. But yes they do face across to the other side, but it is 62 feet to the other side so it's not like you are super close to the other side.

I will still stick with my ocean view balcony. :D

Hi:

RCCL sent me a link that had a video with it, for the Genesis. Did anyone else get that?

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10 (Anita);)

PS I keep watching it over and over again. My DH isn't a cruise addict like I am, but when he saw it he said "sign me up". This is the first time I've heard him say that out of all of the 43 cruises we've taken so far. :p

Never mind....I see someone has already posted a link to the video.

Like CruisinMama06, I watched it over and over imaging Hubby and myself walking down that garden path and eating at Giovanni's Table. I even fell asleep thinking about this awesome new ship.

Gotta confess I have a few worries especially about what I call the "wind tunnel effect" that comes from narrow spaces between tall buildings. Being at sea would have to exaggerate that, but I have to put my faith in RCI engineers to have considered such challenges.

Hubby pointed out one aspect of the design I didn't even consider. Those Central Park balconies have no privacy. They are fully open on three sides, plus they face balconies across from themselves too. Hubby says he is sticking with ocean-facing balconies on the outside of the ship.

Regardless of the misgivings we can't wait to sail on Genesis, but I think we'll wait for a few sailings to get feedback from the adventurous first passengers.

Spending billion plus dollars on this design I'm sure they tested on scaled models the wind effect in the promenade, if it didn't look good or workout they wouldn't go thru with the design.

I never thought about the potential wind issue-But I imagine they'd have thought of it when designing the space.

I think my most eagerly anticipated reveal would have to be the aft section (likely boardwalk) and what it shall compose of. (STILL hoping for full glass walls overlooking the stern from the inside)

And the main pool area, and how it will be done. I think the lazy river idea could be a possibility now?

Regardless, I'm amazed at how RCI continually meet, break, and surpass design restrictions creating architectural wonders. The "WOW" factor is already there for this ship.

I'm not sure there would be a wind tunnel effect. That effect happens in a city when the wind hits the side of a city and is forced to get all the wind into the narrow paths between the buildings. On Genesis the wind hits the front of the ship and flows over. CP has four solid sides so there is no surface for the wind to hit and get channeled into CP from. The closest that could happen is if it hits the Viking Crown Lounge's front surface and flows down but that appears to be shielded enough by the front of the ship, so it won't ever get direct wind.

So we pretty much know that the first Neighborhoods will be the CP, the RP, and the Boardwalk, but what do you guys think the others will be? I think that the Centrum(s) will take up another 1-2 (3?) of the neighborhoods, so what will the others be?

The question has come up about pools and hot tubs and this is from Akerbuilder on the other site.

quote:

People dont worry there is at least 17 different big/midsize/small pools/jacuzzis/whirlpools!

end of qoute:

WOW, 17 pools/whirlpools, that's amazing. So how many whirlpools does freedom have, lets see, it is 7? And then 4 pools, which adds to 11. So that means it will have 6 more pool/whirlpool venues, which it probably needs for that many people.

Archived