All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

Paul, I think even the crew struggled with this C&A cruise. I had a wonderful time and it will always go down as one of my favorites but I just think everyone was overwhelmed by the C&A turn out on this sailing. And the topper was SO many were Diamond and Diamond Plus. I know how hard RCCL tries to keep their cruisers happy I can see why they will want to stick to having the C&A sailings on the smaller ships. Now, who would have thought that a Voyager class would be a smaller ship?:eek: :D

Liz, it must be nice to know people with the inside scoop.:D

Chris, I honestly don't remember how much time passed between the Freedom being released and her first sailing but I do know it was at least a month. So hopefully that will give you time to get settled in school and you and your family can sail with us. Fingers crossed.:)

I personally think a Halloween cruise would be fun.:D

Hi RCI Vets!

I want to sail this ship..It sounds spectacular!!!!

Where do I sign up for the group? Are you all trying to get a group cruise together? Ill join!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ive never sailed on RCI before so this will be my first. Ive contacted my TA that Im interested in sailing Oasis and to let me know when any news comes out for booking. Ill stay close to this thread.

Im so excited over this ship.:) :)

Hi RCI Vets!

I want to sail this ship..It sounds spectacular!!!!

Where do I sign up for the group? Are you all trying to get a group cruise together? Ill join!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ive never sailed on RCI before so this will be my first. Ive contacted my TA that Im interested in sailing Oasis and to let me know when any news comes out for booking. Ill stay close to this thread.

Im so excited over this ship.:) :)

Tons of info on the ship and how to sign up (join our group) for the cruise can be found here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=519

I've been reading this thread, too, and am chomping at the bit for more info - any little crumb RCI tosses out!

DH & I have only been on 3 cruises and will go to Alaska June 09. But the Caribbean is the best and Oasis in Spring 2010 is my plan...but it's so-o-o far away!! :eek:

Two Comments RE the CP Cabin Area:

Lots of folks go to Las Vegas and spend time in "New York", "Venice", or "Paris" - so why not have the best of both worlds - Central Park AND the Caribbean???:cool: And who knows what other surprises are in store - I can hardly stand the wait!

We have always had a balcony and love morning coffee and afternoon wine, so it will be difficult to choose because the CP cabins could be very nice.

C&A Cruise Questions:

Does RCI send info to all C&A members RE the C&A cruise? We'll have only 4 cruises so it's the bottom rung of the ladder, but what makes the C&A cruise special?

Thank you to all you seasoned cruisers - every time we go, more info comes from these threads than anywhere else.

From what I hear Royal Caribbean will announce the remaining "neighborhoods" and other innovations on June 18th at 12:30 in NYC

looking forward to June 18, and I hope we get the deck plans as well:D

Carol:)

I heard the first installment of the Genesis Class was to be named Nordic Prince of the Seas and the second Sun Viking of the Seas...there may be a third called Song of the Seas, but that is just pure speculation.

I heard the first installment of the Genesis Class was to be named Nordic Prince of the Seas and the second Sun Viking of the Seas...there may be a third called Song of the Seas, but that is just pure speculation.

speculation is right...especially now that the names have been released

We are now only two and a half weeks away from Royal Caribbean revealing the rest of the neighborhoods for Oasis and hopefully we will get a date for bookings to start on what I feel is going to be the ship or ships for those of us that like "BIG"......................................and innovative.

Can't wait to see the photos of the remaining neighborhoods.

Until then we can look at these.

Photos from Royal Caribbean

Central Park

GenesisCentralPark1.jpg

Central Park at night

CentralParkatNight.jpg

More of Central Park

OutdoorDiningCentralPark.jpg

vintage.jpg

skybar_night_HR.jpg

CrystalCanopy.jpg

Gordon..thanks for the reminder ...great photos

If all goes well hope to see you at the 'other Central Park' on June 18:)

Doubt that I make it up there as it's the middle of the week and it's getting closer by the day. I will wait to hear back from everyone else though.:)

First of all, I love BIG ships and I posted a review of my recent cruise aboard Liberty here on cruise critic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=42533

I also have a photo album here: http://barrysadventures.groupee.net/...4/m/7061080935

If you want to hear some audio from the cruise check out this link:

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web...10357&cmd=apop

I enjoyed the cruise and the ship very much, however, I was starting to miss some of the smaller ships with Royal Caribbean that I use to work on, particularly the Nordic Prince and Song of America. Liberty was fantastic but I think too big...something is certainly missing....the connection to the sea. Liberty is so big and there are so many activities and distractions focused inward that the connection to the sea, in my opinion is lost. I can't imagine how much more that connection will be lost when the Oasis of the Seas at 220,000 tons comes out???

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the Giant Oasis & Allure to come out, I want to see them and cruise on them for the experience, however, when the ships get this big, the reason we all love cruising seems to fade away and we now become abosorbed into the "micro city" concept and environment rather than enjoy the sea and the seafaring experience.

Barry

Caribe I.....................1984

Asure Seas................1985

QE2...........................1987

Nordic Prince..............1989 (four weeks)

Song of America..........1989 (six months)

SS Norway.................1990

MV Empress................1991 (six months)

Pacific Star................1991 (three weeks)

Zenith.......................1992 (four months)

QE2..........................1992 (three months)

Majesty of the Seas.....1994

Galaxy.......................1996

Jubilee.......................1997

Rembrandt..................1998

Seabreeze..................1999

QM2..........................2004

Majesty of the Seas.....2005

Oosterdam..................2006

Liberty of the Seas.......2008

I enjoyed the cruise and the ship very much, however, I was starting to miss some of the smaller ships with Royal Caribbean that I use to work on, particularly the Nordic Prince and Song of America. Liberty was fantastic but I think too big...something is certainly missing....the connection to the sea. Liberty is so big and there are so many activities and distractions focused inward that the connection to the sea, in my opinion is lost. I can't imagine how much more that connection will be lost when the Oasis of the Seas at 220,000 tons comes out???

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the Giant Oasis & Allure to come out, I want to see them and cruise on them for the experience, however, when the ships get this big, the reason we all love cruising seems to fade away and we now become abosorbed into the "micro city" concept and environment rather than enjoy the sea and the seafaring experience.

Barry

Which is why we have so many choices. I for one don't get the "lost connection" with the sea. There are still plenty of places on board the Voyager and Freedom class ships to connect. Deck four with her lounge chairs, helipad with benches to sit and watch the sea. Plenty of deck and sunning space up top just like any other ship and of course the beautiful Viking Crown lounge. There are even some lounges such as Boleros and the Champaign bar that have large round windows with views to the sea.

A lot has been said about the Central Park idea both good and bad. I for think that it's great. Most other cruise lines would just replace this area with interior cabins and more passengers. Royal Caribbean is giving us more options. Especially in the evening when most guests are inside anyway. Dining under the stars without having the wind blowing us over. That's just one nice reason. I for one cannot wait to see what else this ship will offer.

Which is why we have so many choices. I for one don't get the "lost connection" with the sea. There are still plenty of places on board the Voyager and Freedom class ships to connect.

It's not just being able to see the sea - my point is a combination of distractions inward, and the fact that there is nearly no movement felt from being at sea. The ship stands so tall above the sea you don't get as much sea salt on the railings. The seafaring experience and adventure of being in-transit aboard a ship is what feels lost on such a large ship.

Barry

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web...10357&cmd=apop

Caribe I.....................1984

Asure Seas................1985

QE2...........................1987

Nordic Prince..............1989 (four weeks)

Song of America..........1989 (six months)

SS Norway.................1990

MV Empress................1991 (six months)

Pacific Star................1991 (three weeks)

Zenith.......................1992 (four months)

QE2..........................1992 (three months)

Majesty of the Seas.....1994

Galaxy.......................1996

Jubilee.......................1997

Rembrandt..................1998

Seabreeze..................1999

QM2..........................2004

Majesty of the Seas.....2005

Oosterdam..................2006

Liberty of the Seas.......2008

It's not just being able to see the sea - my point is a combination of distractions inward, and the fact that there is nearly no movement felt from being at sea. The ship stands so tall above the sea you don't get as much sea salt on the railings. The seafaring experience and adventure of being in-transit aboard a ship is what feels lost on such a large ship.

Barry

And most new cruisers do not want to feel the movement of the ship.:) I for one like it but it doesn't take anything away if I don't. I also do not like the salt spray on my balcony. It gets the chairs and such sticky.

And most new cruisers do not want to feel the movement of the ship.:)

You're right many first time cruisers worry about getting seasick, so a big ship is a good choice, however, I still think the lack of movement and lack of connection to the sea is becoming a lost, endearing quality missing from the mega ships. You also don't get as connected to your fellow passengers, and there is a lack of cameraderie.

Which is why we have so many choices. I for one don't get the "lost connection" with the sea. There are still plenty of places on board the Voyager and Freedom class ships to connect. Deck four with her lounge chairs, helipad with benches to sit and watch the sea. Plenty of deck and sunning space up top just like any other ship and of course the beautiful Viking Crown lounge. There are even some lounges such as Boleros and the Champaign bar that have large round windows with views to the sea.

A lot has been said about the Central Park idea both good and bad. I for think that it's great. Most other cruise lines would just replace this area with interior cabins and more passengers. Royal Caribbean is giving us more options. Especially in the evening when most guests are inside anyway. Dining under the stars without having the wind blowing us over. That's just one nice reason. I for one cannot wait to see what else this ship will offer.

Gordon, I am so with you, your pictures just make me want to go even more and I too like Deck 4 to sit and watch the Sea and it doesn't make a difference what size ship we are on and I also like sitting on my balcony late at night and listen to the water, it is soo relaxing:D

Gordon, I am so with you, your pictures just make me want to go even more and I too like Deck 4 to sit and watch the Sea and it doesn't make a difference what size ship we are on and I also like sitting on my balcony late at night and listen to the water, it is soo relaxing:D

It's going to be interesting to see the rest of the neighborhoods that she has to offer. :)

It's going to be interesting to see the rest of the neighborhoods that she has to offer. :)

Gordon, I am waiting for June 18th and I hope Emmy will go so I can find out 1st hand:D I do hope we will find out when we can book and I do hope we find out the Itinerary and I do hope we find out the deck plans:D ;) 2 I do hope would also be nice too:D

Gordon, I am waiting for June 18th and I hope Emmy will go so I can find out 1st hand:D I do hope we will find out when we can book and I do hope we find out the Itinerary and I do hope we find out the deck plans:D ;) 2 I do hope would also be nice too:D

Carol, two weeks from now all the info should be out for us to see. My bet is the deck plans and open booking dates will be released soon so that folks can start deciding on what cabins they want.

we are pretty sure we want to go on the inagural but I would assume its going to be a little more costly than your standard 7 nighter...I would love price and itinerary info sooner that August...at least then we could plan it out a little

Archived