St, Thomas Magen's Bay question

iowaoly

What do you think of Magen's Bay? We will be in St. Thomas in March with our 17 and 20 year old sons and two of their friends. Do they have lounges to rent, bathrooms, water sports, restaurants? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I also posted this on the St. Thomas board but I generally get much better response here.

Thanks.

Megans Bay was voted one of the top 10 beaches. It is beautiful:) If I can remember (I'm sure there are others that know) they do rent lounges. They had a little place where you could purchase drinks etc. I cannot remember water sports there but it has been a few years. I'm a beach person and I do remember the beauty of it. Hope this helps.

What do you think of Magen's Bay? We will be in St. Thomas in March with our 17 and 20 year old sons and two of their friends. Do they have lounges to rent, bathrooms, water sports, restaurants? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I also posted this on the St. Thomas board but I generally get much better response here.

Thanks.

No water sports, but there's a store that sells floats and snorkel equipment, though the snorkeling isn't that good. The thing I hated about Magen's Bay were the filthy bathrooms, ugh....

I've been to St Thomas many, many times and also have visited Magen's Bay a few times. It really is a nice beach, but St Thomas has many other fine beaches as well. One of the nicest we've been to is Morningstar Beach at Frenchman's Reef Hotel. They have lounge chairs, but I don't remember what other facilities they have. Also, perhaps the best of them all in my opinion is Trunk Bay on St John, but you have to take a shore excursion or make your own arrangements to get there. It is rarely crowded and they have a nice snorkel trail. No matter which beach you go to in St Thomas or St John, you should have a wonderful time. ;)

As one poster said, Megans Bay is one of the top 10 beaches. I have been there many times and it continues to be one of my favorite. Every time I go it seems to get a little bit more crowded. That doesn't stop me. There are changing facilities and last time I was there was an outdoor style restaurant that served hot sandwiches, etc. and pizza and good drinks. There were even waitresses that ran up and down the beach taking drink orders. The bathrooms weren't the cleanest but not bad. I am pretty particular on cleanliness and I could handle these. I've been to other beaches where I refused to use the facilities. I changed under a towel instead. I would advise you go see this beach at least once in your life.

Been to this wonderful beach three times. The restrooms are definitely not 5 star but are acceptable considering the location. My best advice is to grab a cab for about $15.00 per person(4 sharing) (6 in a Van) roundtrip including admission to the park. If you are so inclined the driver will stop to get some beverages for your handy collapsible cooler full of ships ice. Go early and you will definitely beat the ships tours there....We've always had a great day for minimal cost....

Megan's Bay is beautiful. We were married there. However, for active teens I would think this would be a boring beach for them. Not much to do unless you just enjoy the sun/sand/surf. I would schedule a more active shore excursion for them. My kids were bored with it after about an hour.

My daughter and I went to Megan's Beach last June and loved it. As many have said...beach is beautiful, water is calm and snorkeling not good as there are no reefs that I can remember. The drinks (alcohol) were GREAT!!! Not watered down. They do have rentals for mats of different types and chairs. Forgot the price...sorry :( But I agree the bathrooms were not the greatest. We just took a cab and did it on our own. Enjoy~

I agree with the other posters on the beauty of this beach. Water is extremely calm. Lounge chairs rent for $6 each with a $5 deposit that you get back (at least that was the price last September.) The beach does get crowded if there are a lot of ships in port - but then so do most of the other beaches. Not a lot of water sports. I think they had some kayaks, and pedal boats.

Megan's Bay is great when it is not too crowded. Love the open air Bar there and the water is great. Not good for snorkeling though, but just rent a raft and float around, have a cocktail and ---gotta love it. Can be crowded though at times.

Go early and leave by early afternoon. No-See-Ums show up around 4:00 or so which are not fun.

We have been to Magen's Bay several times on various cruises and do it ourselves by taking a taxi and staying for as long as we want to. It does get crowded later in the day so we are off the ship as soon as we can in the morning. It is a nice beach and the water is very calm.

Last time we went to Trunk Bay on St. John. I researched how to get their by ferry on our own but was worried that something might happen and we would miss the ship on the way back. So instead we took one of the ship's excursions to Trunk Bay and we had a fantastic time. The excursion left right from the dock at Havensight and took us directly to St. John (not sure what happens if you dock at Crown Bay but I am sure there is a tour that leaves from there too). The ferry ride to St. John was narrated and we saw homes of various stars and they noted points of interest. Once we got there, the transfers to Trunk Bay were well organized, the beach was uncrowded and the snorkeling was terrific. There is an underwater trail to follow and the beach was like baby powder. It was a great excursion. On the way back, there were drinks available on the ferry which left us back at the dock again.

The beach at Trunk Bay is well worth the trip there and better in our opinion than Magen's Bay.

Archived