restaurants in Rome near the Vatican

Last time I was there we had a great lunch at Hostaria dei Bastioni. It is located midway on the walk between St. Peter's and the Vatican museum, were the wall bends. At that point, look across the street. I think it is on Via Leone. Great food, easily understood menu (in Italian) with staff that speaks English and is more than happy to answer any questions. Order anything with fettuchini.

Does anyone know of any good restaurants, reasonably priced, near the Vatican?

We ate at L'Angoletto ai Musei, Via Leone IV 2/A

We started with a pasta with caciacavallo & pepe followed by a secondo of beef. Dolci was a macedonia.

It's hard to get bad food in Rome... BUT avoid any place that pushes a "menu turistico." Romans say--and in my limited experience, it's true--that this is below-par food with an above-par price. After all, you want to eat what the Romans themselves eat, not what they think tourists want to eat!

A native Roman told us that the all-time best gelato can be found at a hole-in-the-wall across the street from the Vatican Walls, just east of the entrance to the museums. The shop has an English name, "Old Bridge." You'll find that many, if not most, of the patrons are natives, which is always a good sign!

Archived