Random QE2 questions

QueensFan

With our QE2 crossing less than two months away, I'm being attacked with random questions by my family, which they assume I can answer because of my obsession with the ship. I am trying to convey that you kind of have to have been onboard before to know what time the spa opens. (Actually, didn't get that one yet...)

So, I decided to start a little thread in which I can ask the random little questions that come up. Here goes...

- We booked with AMEX Platinum Travel Service, and one of the benefits we were told we had with doing that was priority boarding. Does this mean we have equivalent status to the Platinum CWC passengers, or is there some kind of separate AMEX line? Or is this false advertising.

- Is there a squash court onboard? I've never heard of one, but I do know that the original Queens had them, as did many 20th century superliners. That may not apply to QE2.

- My dad's turning 51 onboard, so I figured we'd check the little box on the voyage personaliser for birthday celebrations. Does anyone know what this entails? If it's a singing cake, can we talk to someone to get the cake without the singing waiters? Because if the entire Caronia staff comes to sing to him, I'll be overboard before the night ends.

More to come, as I think of it. All I can say is, this will be an experience.

- We booked with AMEX Platinum Travel Service, and one of the benefits we were told we had with doing that was priority boarding. Does this mean we have equivalent status to the Platinum CWC passengers, or is there some kind of separate AMEX line? Or is this false advertising.

As far as I know, priority boarding is for diamond and platinum CWC members and passengers who eat in one of the grills.

- Is there a squash court onboard? I've never heard of one, but I do know that the original Queens had them, as did many 20th century superliners. That may not apply to QE2.

No there is not a squash court onboard.

- My dad's turning 51 onboard, so I figured we'd check the little box on the voyage personaliser for birthday celebrations. Does anyone know what this entails? If it's a singing cake, can we talk to someone to get the cake without the singing waiters? Because if the entire Caronia staff comes to sing to him, I'll be overboard before the night ends.

I have been onboard for my birthday and got a card signed by the captain and cruise director, and a cake, but yes the waiters did sing. If you don't want the singing, just let the Maitra'D know in advance.

If it's a singing cake, can we talk to someone to get the cake without the singing waiters? Because if the entire Caronia staff comes to sing to him, I'll be overboard before the night ends.

Dont worry about the singing cake, it just adds to the experience, usually you have about 5 waiters and the song doesnt take too long, its actually quite catchy:eek: and besides isnt it better for the cake to appear and make a bit of an entrance, rather than suddenly appear as if by magic!!

When l had my 20th Birthday (many many years ago;) ) the table guests clubbed together and gave me a great big teddy bear, and some bright spark of a waiter had the idea to replace the candles with the ones that relight, l gave up after a couple of blows.

Cheers

Myles

As far as I can tell, it's "false advertising". The phrase they actually use is "Exclusive embarkation", and I never figured out what they meant by that. I was going to ask my PTS agent, but forgot to, and I didn't want to make a big deal about it at the terminal, since it seemed like quite a vague "benefit".

I did, however, get the OBC and the welcome bottle of wine for each of the staterooms I booked. This is in addition to the half bottle of sparkling wine they give everyone.

-karl

• 2 weeks later...

I think it goes diamonds and penthouses first, then platinums and grills. AMEX might be in there somewhere, sorry I cannot be more specific (I know, so why is he posting). The thing is, everyone usually gets on within just a few hours, and every minute of the lead-up to boarding is worth relishing.

Just a note: Tea & etc. will more than likely be going on in Queens Room. We usually find it quite restorative after travelling.

- Is there a squash court onboard? I've never heard of one, but I do know that the original Queens had them, as did many 20th century superliners.
No, but there is shuffleboard - and I have seen stalwart souls playing mid-Atlantic! I think I recall basketball too, and I know there is quoits. Come to think of it, when I recall the challenges of putting my feet where I want them in the group ballroom dancing class, as the ship pitches in a heavy swell, I am not sure I would undertake a vigorous game of squash, even if there was a court! But that's just me.

Ah yes, I remember 51. I know about singing in Mauretania, and they do not in the grills, but I wonder about Caronia restaurant.

Ask away! And you are right about the experience coming your way. For me, every QE2 crossing seems the trip of a lifetime.

With our QE2 crossing less than two months away, I'm being attacked with random questions by my family, which they assume I can answer because of my obsession with the ship. I am trying to convey that you kind of have to have been onboard before to know what time the spa opens. (Actually, didn't get that one yet...)

So, I decided to start a little thread in which I can ask the random little questions that come up. Here goes...

Greg,

I turned 44 during a QE2 Med cruise, and thought that I was in the clear. I wanted no attention. But, that night the waiters appeared with a cake and a short song. My DW looked at me and said, "I didn't say anything". I later found out that they know your birthday through the info you provide upon boarding. There is little, if no escape. Just tell your Father that "they" did it. It will absolve you of responsibility, and what the hell........he will enjoy it after all!

Good sailing.................Kurt

As well as what has been listed above, there is a paddle tennis court. It is a half size tennis court and a normal tennis ball is hit with oversize table tennis bats. Also a golf putting surface and a golf hitting target. Inside there are a couple of table tennis tables. The singing at the birthday/ anniversary celebrations is not very embaressing as often there are at least 3 a night. The words are "Happy, happy birthday across the ocean blue. Happy, happy birthday, may all you wish come true". You can tell I heard it regularly from New York to Sydney just recently.

Because if the entire Caronia staff comes to sing to him, I'll be overboard before the night ends.

Nice to see you are getting on to the ship at last.

I've had a few birthdays on board. The waiters in Caronia do come and sing at you. Just tell the Maitre de that you do not want this to happen and things will be fine. They will still give you a cake if you want. To be honest the cakes are not that great so I would give that a miss too, just have the regular deserts that are so much better.

He'll get a card from the captain and I think the hotel manager. Don't know what else you get.

We, The Penguins' Collective, have been impressed during our last voyage on the QE2, on how well informed the organisation was.... up to the point that we got a daily printout of the news from our neck of the wood (ok, ok, our neck of the ice!), in our own language.

The most important thing was that the staff was very well prepared to accommodate requests, so, if one does not wish the singing waiters, a quiet word whispered in advance to the Maitre'd would ensure that nought more than a cake and candles will arrive...

On the other hand, we, The Penguins' Collective, strongly advise you to have your lifejacket handy, just in case the quiet word does not reach the ears of the waiters, and you have the Caronia, the Mauretania and the Queens' Grill singing a cappella to your dad...

:D

Archived