If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

It was Costa Rica. A private van at a beach was held up at gunpoint. A former Marine who was a passenger in the van reached over and snapped the robber's neck.

Dave

Thanks! Sorry about the misread. I guess I was half asleep when I read it! We travel with our two young daughters, so this kind of info is very inportant to us! Thanks

Wow :rolleyes: it's nice to know my family isn't strange because we sometimes talk about Jamaica being the worst port we've been too... Especially when you hear all the great places to vacation in Jamaica even a few sandals there. Didn't care for the people we met they were rude and DH even had money stolen. Never will we be back unless something major changes

Kurban, i'm glad you understand where i'm coming from, but why in the heck do i keep being called a "her"? maybe you got bad information from the security guy in jamaica!:eek:

Sorry:o I should know better to assume because most people refer to me as a he and I am a she:D

I totally understand what you mean. I guess everyone has a different tolerance level of what they will put up with.......welcoming people into their country in order for us to spend our hard earned money to help their economy then to turn around and treat us in such a way is b.s. IMO. It's not enough that they won't stop the harassment that goes on right in the port area.......

I know I won't be spending my money in a country that has no respect for me or my loved ones......too many other places to visit.

Sorry:o I should know better to assume because most people refer to me as a he and I am a she:D

[hijack] Hey sista! Of topic, someone else on this thread has a avatar that looks almost exactly like yours. It gave me pause trying to figure out why you had added a ton of stuff for your siggy! LOL

Of course the jumping Donna finally made me look at the poster's name! :o

Anywho, thought I'd let you know!

[end hijack!]

Back to the pros and cons of violating Jamaican tourists!:eek:

That's YOUR take. I see it as a personal invasion either way.

And you obviously avoided everything else I said.

:confused: I don't how can you compare a medical exam (which by the way is your choice to have and you know they are going to have to feel, poke and prod certain areas to ensure your good health) the same as being squeezed unexpectedly as part of a drug search. Jf what you're experiencing as part of your medical exam is unexpected then you should be changing doctors or if you are being inappropriately squeezed, you would have grounds for charges to be laid against the doctor.

[hijack] Hey sista! Of topic, someone else on this thread has a avatar that looks almost exactly like yours. It gave me pause trying to figure out why you had added a ton of stuff for your siggy! LOL

Of course the jumping Donna finally made me look at the poster's name! :o

Anywho, thought I'd let you know!

[end hijack!]

Back to the pros and cons of violating Jamaican tourists!:eek:

LOL I saw that. Posted right behind her on the bungee cord thread:D

I must admit she has a nice car:D :p

Now back to our regular scheduled program..........

Former Marine? No such thing.....;) :D

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2324640520070223

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:29am EST

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (Reuters) - A group of U.S. tourists, including a former Marine, killed a Costa Rican mugger by breaking his neck after he pulled a gun on them in a Caribbean port, a local police official said on Thursday.

The cruise ship passengers told police they jumped on Wagner Segura, 20, to defend themselves when he pointed a .38 caliber revolver at them near the Caribbean port of Limon on Wednesday, and somehow snapped his neck, regional police director Luis Hernandez said.

Segura died instantly and two other unidentified thieves, one of whom was armed with a knife, fled the scene, Hernandez said.

"One of the tourists was a former Marine and he was probably the one who broke (Segura's) neck," Hernandez said. "His neck was completely snapped."

No charges will be filed against the tourists because police viewed the incident as an act of self-defense. Police questioned and released the group, which rejoined the cruise and left Cost Rica.

The Americans were passengers aboard the Carnival cruise ship Legend. They got off their tour bus to take photos in a notoriously rough neighborhood a short drive from Limon.

After the attack, they put Segura's body on their bus and found a police officer in Limon to report the incident.

Once a marine..always a marine BRAVO!

And who can forget this thread... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=574296

I didn't take the time to read through all the other posts, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what others passengers have already said.... We were in Montego Bay on the Sea Princess in January. We did not leave the port shopping area, just bought some Blue Mountain Coffee and went back to the ship. Our experience was similiar, though no TV crew to catch it on film. My husband went through one security lane and I went through the other, as directed. The woman who screened me felt my pockets on my carpenter style capris and that was it. My husband got the more intimate pat down. We were pretty surprised. We read the warnings in the Princess Patter about not buying drugs because they would search us on our return to the ship, however there are searches and there are searches, if you know what I mean. As we walked back to the ship I told my husband, "Wow, that really increased the warm fuzzy feelings I have for Jamaica". And that sums it up in a nutshell. We already had an extreme dislike for traveling into Jamaica... so much so that we purposesly did not leave the port area. After that little incident we probably won't even go into the port area for the coffee. So that means we will spend 0 money in Jamaica. You would think that they could figure this out, but apparently there are enough first time visiters to Jamaica to keep it profitable for the island and the cruiselines.

:confused: I don't how can you compare a medical exam (which by the way is your choice to have and you know they are going to have to feel, poke and prod certain areas to ensure your good health) the same as being squeezed unexpectedly as part of a drug search.

Actually, I'm an active duty military officer, so it's not my choice... I am ordered to get this done every year because I took the oath...just like I choose to travel in Jamaica. And I'm not trying to compare the two, but I am saying that they are both embarrassing at the very least...

Everyone is focusing on the 'grope search'.

I think, although I can't be positive...that if Jamaica were a fabulous, fun place and people enjoyed themselves a lot while on the island, the 'grope' getting back to the ship may not have seemd as horrible. If you run around the island all day and aren't really enjoying it, whether it's because you feel unsafe or for whatever reason, then have to stand and be fondled before escaping to the comfort of your ship, it may seem a lot different. And I've never been searched in that fashion, but I imagine there is a way to do it without making it seem so seedy...it sounds as if, the Jamaican Authorities don't care how they make you feel.

I have read through this thread and have some comments:

1) I was not traumatized by the search, I was flabbergasted by it.

2) How does my being searched in the terminal returning to a cruise ship have any effect on the Jamaican drug problem? If the problem is drugs in Jamaica shouldnt they be searching me as I LEAVE the ship?

3) If Jamaica wants to do something about their drug problem why do they not go after the dozens of people that offered to sell me marijuana through the course of my day there? You cant walk 5 feet in town without someone offering you drugs.

4) Up to the time I returned to the cruise terminal (aside from all the people trying to sell me drugs) I had a good time in Montego Bay.

5) I have been around the world to many many different countries and know all about "local customs" and the treatment that I and others received at the cruise terminal was just plain wrong and if Carnival knew it was going to happen and didnt tell us ahead of time they are just as wrong as far as I am concerned.

2) The reason you are searched when boarding the ship is because all the drugs are being offered in Jamaica. Why would they search you coming off the ship ?

3) SEE ABOVE

4) Walk in a drug infested area of any USA city and you're from a different race than those in neighborhood and cops will stop you because they "assume" you're there to buy drugs. Is it right ? NO, is it fair ? no, it's part of life. It's like a young black teenager walking in a rich white neighborhood, that young man would get stopped...sad but true.

5) When i went to Jamaica in 2007 my wife and I watched noone get searched badly when returning back to cruise. Maybe week before or month after someone did but it doesn't happen every day.

Finally, there are worse neighborhoods in this good USA than neighborhoods in Jamaica and we call those people....fellow americans. Sorry what happened to you as i'm sorry for the young innocent person getting harassed by OUR authorities at our airports ythat never gets reported too.

So

Everyone is focusing on the 'grope search'.

I think, although I can't be positive...that if Jamaica were a fabulous, fun place and people enjoyed themselves a lot while on the island, the 'grope' getting back to the ship may not have seemd as horrible. If you run around the island all day and aren't really enjoying it, whether it's because you feel unsafe or for whatever reason, then have to stand and be fondled before escaping to the comfort of your ship, it may seem a lot different. And I've never been searched in that fashion, but I imagine there is a way to do it without making it seem so seedy...it sounds as if, the Jamaican Authorities don't care how they make you feel.

I wonder how hygenic the gloves they wear are (if they wear any) after they have fondled the packages of a couple of thousand men each day. :eek:

That's YOUR take. I see it as a personal invasion either way.

And you obviously avoided everything else I said.

No, I didn't avoid everything else you said. I almost agreed with you until your comparison with a medical exam. When you go in for, let's say a prostate exam or a mammogram, you know what is going to be touched and why. It doesn't become an invasion when there is informed consent.

If the OP had been informed first hand that he was going to be touched like that, he could have opted to stay on the ship. A security check should not normally involve groping of that nature. If that is the law of the country, fine. Someone needs to let visitors know that they would be subject to THAT type of search so then they could have informed consent in that situation.

No, I didn't avoid everything else you said. I almost agreed with you until your comparison with a medical exam. When you go in for, let's say a prostate exam or a mammogram, you know what is going to be touched and why. It doesn't become an invasion when there is informed consent.

If the OP had been informed first hand that he was going to be touched like that, he could have opted to stay on the ship. A security check should not normally involve groping of that nature. If that is the law of the country, fine. Someone needs to let visitors know that they would be subject to THAT type of search so then they could have informed consent in that situation.

We too have been on the COnquest...awesome cruise but never again will I go to Montego Bay...Drugs were a issue as the Jamaican's were getting very pushy especially after frequent NO..NO...NO...from all of us. I was also propositioned, I simply told the guy I was old enough to be his MOther and he should go away!

Not until the cruise lines make a stink about this will it be changed I believe. We as pax have to file complaints with our cruise lines. Let them know we will not sail to this port and the reason why.

If the money stops coming I believe things might actually change. IMHO

2) The reason you are searched when boarding the ship is because all the drugs are being offered in Jamaica. Why would they search you coming off the ship ?

My point was/is, if it's about the drug problem IN Jamaica shouldnt they be more worried about me bringing drugs IN and not my leaving with drugs and why dont they arrest the Jamaican drug dealers that seem to be everywhere? It's not like they are hard to find.

In any case, it is not about drugs, it is about simple human decency. Grabbing my private parts for no real reason except a fishing expidition is a violation of my dignity.

If you and others cant get that, I am sorry for you.

My wife and I are going on the Conquest May 4th. She booked for herself, alone, the zip lining tour through Carnival. She now wants to cancel it after reading this board. Do you think it's safer if she's part of a Carnival excursion or is it the same as far as searches go?

Thank you.

My wife and I are going on the Conquest May 4th. She booked for herself, alone, the zip lining tour through Carnival. She now wants to cancel it after reading this board. Do you think it's safer if she's part of a Carnival excursion or is it the same as far as searches go?

Thank you.

The "search" is in the cruise terminal, the tour will drop you off just outside the terminal (on the road side) which you will then have to enter and cross over to the pier side exit. Everyone has to go through the terminal and all are subject to being searched.

While I think the search that I was subjected to was "wrong" and while I think Carnival is "wrong" to continue to bring it's passengers to a place where they are routinely searched in such a manner, I would not let the threat of being searched stop me from having fun in Jamaica if I was going to be there anyway.

The search was demeaning (to me) but not traumatizing or painful and in and of itself not a reason to not have a good time.

Archived