If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

Forgive me if I am making a simplistic characterization: in response to why no other country has searched bags or done a thorough search, not even a "looksie" --> is this simply because those other countries aren't Jamaica? Seriously, most other cruise-visited countries apparently don't have such a problem with drugs and tourists visiting and trying to take said drugs with them back on the ship. Because of the drug problem, and perhaps Carnival's insistence on thorough searches, the result is a thorough search for all passengers.

I do respect the discomfort with having genitalia grabbed and firmly squeezed. The separate gender lines are irrelevant. I can't help but wonder where the "shock and awe" about the search process comes from; I've been to plenty of concerts and airports in the U.S. that required a search of all bags (more than a "looksie"), with the rules clearly posted, which seems to be the case in Jamaica. I've flown to Mexico for a land vacation where the contents of everyone's luggage was quickly searched (granted, this was a smaller airport). I don't feel like the search process is that uncommon. Am I wrong here?

What might be less common is the rough and ready style of the apparently burly mannish women who are squeezing penises and testicles left and right. I don't think, though, that their sole purpose is to make people "feel like criminals" or simply gratify their "jollies" and fetishes of cupping foreign genitalia. That characterization of Jamaican security is juvenile. Further, the characterization of the entire country based on some hours at port makes me wonder about the characterizations and assumptions travelers to the U.S. could make after spending a few hours in this or that major metropolitan area.

We appreciate the information and the awareness, but not the gross stereotypes and summaries of a country based on fear of the "other."

Wow, project much? :rolleyes:

I apologize, then. I did not know you had intimate, first-hand knowledge of the drug, gang, and weapon problems throughout the interior of Mexico, as well as the coastal areas.

Talk about generalizing....

My life experience was about the hospitality of Mexico. And yes the people that live in these Mexican ports are plagued with as many problems if not more then the people in Montego Bay. This thread was about how people were treated at the port in Montego Bay. A cruise port.

So if you really want to apologize.........

And yes I have been offered drugs in Mexico. But not at the port:rolleyes:

You are inacurrate yourself. Mexico really only has two classes of people. The wealthy and the poor. I've been to Mexico City, Monterey and PV. The vast majority of Mexicans are extremely dirt poor. I have a friend from Montery and her family there is very wealthy. Generally, only those who have access and resources to go to school are the ones able to make it. Mexico has no state run school system. They go to private schools, if they have the money.

A quick fact check (wikipedia, if you like), will tell you that Mexico has a federal, free, and mandatory public education system. I have friends and family in Mexico, have long ties to Mexico (in both time and space), so I think I at least have a 50% chance of being fairly accurate.

I apologize, then. I did not know you had intimate, first-hand knowledge of the drug, gang, and weapon problems throughout the interior of Mexico, as well as the coastal areas.

I have first-hand knowledge, the poor new cheifs of police here in TJ right across the border of San Diego are not lasting more then a weeks time before they get gunned down by a freaking Drug lords people, and how many underground tunnels are they finding every week?

And like others stated, there are only 2 classes in mexico, the Rich and the Poor. Im only a freakin stone throw from Mexico.

Get real, Mexico is deep in it now.

Fred

I have first-hand knowledge, the poor new cheifs of police here in TJ right across the border of San Diego are not lasting more then a weeks time before they get gunned down by a freaking Drug lords people, and how many underground tunnels are they finding every week?

And like others stated, there are only 2 classes in mexico, the Rich and the Poor. Im only a freakin stone throw from Mexico.

Get real, Mexico is deep in it now.

Fred

Yup, you are right, that is a real problem on the border. I grew up and spent most of my life not far from the border.

A quick fact check (wikipedia, if you like), will tell you that Mexico has a federal, free, and mandatory public education system. I have friends and family in Mexico, have long ties to Mexico (in both time and space), so I think I at least have a 50% chance of being fairly accurate.

Fair enough

Yup, you are right, that is a real problem on the border. I grew up and spent most of my life not far from the border.

Yup, it doesn't take a Rocket scientist to see whats going on down there once you cross the border. At work I have more then 50 percent of them and they are in for Muling drugs across the border. The majority from Sinaloa Mexico and Mazatlan which are the worst places when it comes to drugs, gangs and violence.

Fred

If Jamaica is so strict with their drug laws then why is the Island infested with drugs? Where are the drug dogs? We were accosted at least 5 or 6 times just at Dunn River falls and in the parking lot then numerous other times in the shopping area on 1 of my 2 visits. They should be walking around with drug dogs in areas where the tourist are and arresting every single person the dogs sniff out. It is Jamaicas fault their Island is so messed up if they are more interested in busting tourist for buying drugs than going after their citizens for selling it first. Yes the tourist should be arrested but the solution starts at home. The whole Jamaican government needs an overhaul to wipe out the poverty, drugs and corrupt officials. They need to use some of the money from tourism and build some more prisons and lock up all those drug dealers asking tourist if they want to buy some drugs and the tourists who are buying them.

If Jamaica is so strict with their drug laws then why is the Island infested with drugs? Where are the drug dogs? We were accosted at least 5 or 6 times just at Dunn River falls and in the parking lot then numerous other times in the shopping area on 1 of my 2 visits. They should be walking around with drug dogs in areas where the tourist are and arresting every single person the dogs sniff out. It is Jamaicas fault their Island is so messed up if they are more interested in busting tourist for buying drugs than going after their citizens for selling it first. Yes the tourist should be arrested but the solution starts at home. The whole Jamaican government needs an overhaul to wipe out the poverty, drugs and corrupt officials. They need to use some of the money from tourism and build some more prisons and lock up all those drug dealers asking tourist if they want to buy some drugs and the tourists who are buying them.

Good points! It does seem silly that their "War on Drugs" is focused on the tourists, most of which aren't into drugs.

BTW, we are from New Braunfels, too!

I was in Ocho Rios in November and thank goodness we did not experience any of this. We bought several items and had several bags when we got back on the ship. None of our bags were checked and we were not searched. I did not see anyone being searched. I am so glad this did not happen to us.

We had a great experience with the locals. We were ask to take a cab ride or take a tour and that is annnoying but they seem to do this at all the ports. The locals were very helpful. We met one local that explained life as a fisherman and life in Jamaica. We had pictures made with them also. We never felt threatened at any time. Jamaica was our favorite port. If I had experienced the inappropriate searching I am sure that I would have a different view.

Our waiter on the ship told us that if any of the crew got off the ship in Jamaica they would have to take a drug test when they returned. They also told us to be careful because many passengers in the past have been arrested for buying drugs. I was scared of all the negative things that I had heard about Jamaica. I am so thankful that we had a good experience and look forward to going back again someday. ;)

I would like to thank the original poster for the information. I try to save my husband from any un-necessary humilation when possible, and for him it would be very humilating. As he had a bad experience with prostate cancer that left him in an unfortunate way, he doesn't need to be groped in that area for no good apparent reason. This is why I read these boards, so that I can garner useful info such as this. Again, thank you.

too true rouge!!!!

I have a cousin getting out of Federal Prison in april after 17 years SEVENTEEN YEARS for 2.5 grams of cocain.. Thanks to the outdated "rockefellar Drug laws"

But I see people that killed,raped shot,and stabbed get 5-10 years...!!!

The system is about $$$$$......

The "war on drugs" is about ......$$$$$$$$$

I was in Ocho Rios in November and thank goodness we did not experience any of this. We bought several items and had several bags when we got back on the ship. None of our bags were checked and we were not searched...

not even the guys bags?

in december, the guys bags (dh and cc friends) bags were searched, but not ours. we walked right through.

nuts, and unless they can't read or hear, complete asses to want to visit Jamaica.

The drug use, robberies, violence, murders, rapes.....check it out yourself on the internet.....why in God's name would a tourist wish to see the "beauty of the people and the land", when there are so many other civil islands (which tend to also be quite low income) where worry can be kept at normal levels. Why ? You find being scared is entertaining ?

not even the guys bags?

in december, the guys bags (dh and cc friends) bags were searched, but not ours. we walked right through.

Not even the guys bags were being checked. It must be different from day to day. Maybe it is just luck of the draw. My son is 20 yrs. old and he was with me. If he had been done that way, OH BOY!!!:eek: :confused: I don't want to even think about what I would have done. It wasn't just us, I didn't see anyone being searched that day male or female. Maybe we were just lucky.

This topic is yet another reason why my daughter and I are NOT getting off the ship in Jamaica. Yes, neither of us are males, however, I do not want her subjected to anything that might be inappropriate when getting back on the ship.

We are making the day a Spa day….

Ali’s Mom

First of all. I don't think there should be any arguments. We are all here to help each other not insult each other. If one has fear of a certain country the fear will not disappear just because someone says every country has some bad sections.

I took Carnival Spirit to Acapulco, Cabo, and Puerta Vallerta and felt it was perfectly safe.

This past December I took a TA cruise from Barcelona to Galveston and every stop felt very safe.

I voiced my opinion on Roatan and I was corrected that it was a very nice place. I did say it felt safe.

Of course we don't have to leave the ship in Montego Bay but the passengers feel that they should be able to without drug dealers on every corner. I won't even mention the groping anymore because some people feel that's perfectly ok. If passengers had daughters getting groped they might have a different attitude.

Actually most of the people they pull out for random searches are for the appearance they aren't "Profiling". Do you really think that 90 yo Granny that was pulled out of line in front of me at the Houston airport was a security threat?

If Granny were smuggling drugs or WMDs, I'm confident Jamaican security would do a much better job than TSA at located them. :p

You are the one who took everything off topic with a rant about NOLA. Seems like you can dish it out but......

Not sure if you a blind, numerically challenged, a referee or some combination, but post 272 came before post 273.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13554511&postcount=272

Well heck, that is comforting. Why not take my chances mon? Most of our murders here in Houston metro are really only in specific areas. There are many, many people in my city who purposely avoid going into those area where such killings are rampant. In fact, our murder rate has exploded since Katrina. Remember, we were kind enough to take in those "innocent" victims.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13554619&postcount=273

Quite typical of Houstonians to blame increases in crime on Katrina evacuees. Atlanta does the same. So do other areas.

So who the hell is committing crimes in New Orleans? Was there an exchange program? Yes, but basically, fact is, crime is up all over.

You expect brownie points for being human? Collect them in Heaven.

If not for Katrina and Federal government failures in New Orleans, and if Rita had stayed the course and a Cat 5, Houston would have been clueless and a disaster area, and Galveston would be gone (again). As it was, they took evacuation warnings seriously.

Many, many New Orleanians will never forget that Bush was vacationing in Crawford,and continued to do so, while the city drown.

Not sure if you a blind, numerically challenged, a referee or some combination, but post 272 came before post 273.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13554511&postcount=272

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13554619&postcount=273

You know what. I don't want to be rude to you. But you were the one who was ranting. Not me. And also, it is a FACT that crime (especially murder) after the Katrina evacuees arrived has increased. If you've fooled yourself into believing it's not true, then let me ask you this: why did FEMA give the Houston police dept. 7 million dollars to fund and recruit more officers for a gang task force. I never said all Katrina victims are criminals. However, we did end up getting all the gangs that should have been locked up in NOLA in the first place.

It's also a salient fact (you can look it up) that 70% of the "victims" here are STILL umemployeed. If you can't get a job in Houston then it's because you either don't want one or you're brain dead.

Sorry this has went off topic:(

Archived