Recovery..?

golfer1966

Im quite sure that Belize took a direct hit this year from one of the hurricanes. Have they recovered from the dmage and such. I know cruises are going there so the dollars are coming back in. I have awhile before we go, but was just curious.

How far in advance did you book the Cave Tubing. I dont want to miss this so I will book ahead of time.

. . . for one thing, this is 2008, not 2007; for another, the hurricane I feel sure you refer to came ashore at the northern border of Belize and southern border of Mexico. This is a matter of sixty+ miles as the egret flies to the north of Belize City, and perhaps nearer a hundred by road.

The hurricane damage that is still too evident in Belize City--broken sidewalks, ruined buildings--is left over from Hurricane Hattie in 1961, after which the government created Belmopan deep inland for itself to be safe in, and decamped from Belize City--"the dollars" may be coming back in, but for nearly ten years now they have been funneled into the pockets of the former prime minister, Said Musa, and his relatives and cronies. The cruiseship terminal is pretty and clean, and sports immaculate bathrooms etc., because Diamonds International owns and operates it, with capital from far-off lands--and had enough money to grease a lot of palms in Belize government circles in addition, thanks to purchases of fine jewelry and junk and booze here and abroad in their stores by people exactly like us.

We trust the overthrow of the PUP by democratic process by the UDP at the beginning of February 2008, providing the new prime minister with a vote margin of 25-6, will enable very needed improvements and legal prosecutions of malefactors. So as we find in the United States, it is not necessarily the natural disasters that bankrupt a country, but scurrilous people in power looking out only for themselves and their pals.

Cave tubing has something on the order of 79 active tour operators on the ground in Belize. About 77 are responsible operators. It is Big Business. It is very popular, and deservedly so, as it is great fun. You will have to decide for yourself whether to book ahead or to step off the tender and walk onto someone's bus or van. But you won't be left behind if you want to go, and you won't be late getting back to the ship.

It just all seems to run together somehow, a sort of New Orleans Syndrome, I guess. All I meant was, I think this is as good as it gets, no recent disasters, and you won't see much of it when you go cave tubing--it is really gorgeous up there. :D

It just all seems to run together somehow, a sort of New Orleans Syndrome, I guess. All I meant was, I think this is as good as it gets, no recent disasters, and you won't see much of it when you go cave tubing--it is really gorgeous up there. :D

Im looking forward to it. :D

Archived