St Thomas, St Lucia

cruisin 07

Been 18 years since last dive. Just took my refresher course. I booked with these two outfits, opinions welcome or should I book with someone else. Will be there mid Apr.

St Thomas: st thomas excursions: 2 tank shore dive at Coki Beach $70 - Have to provide own transportation but gear included.

St Lucia: island divers: 2 tank dive from Ti-Kaye resort. $70 - transportation included but have to rent gear.

Appreciate all the input from my other thread about what underwater camera. Going with the Sealife SL321 since I don't want the expense of purchasing another camera plus the housing.

Thanks, Larry

For St. Thomas you'll likely dive better sites if you do boat dives rather than a shore dive at Coki, but it will cost you a bit more as well.

I liked http://www.admiraltydive.com in St. Thomas.

And I wish you the best with your camera purchase even though I think you are making a mistake buying a sealife camera.

I expect Bruce-R is correct about the boat vs shore at Coki Beach, but you may save some bucks by booking yourself at Coki Beach Dive Club. Of course, by the time your rent all the gear and hire a Divemaster, it may be back up to the boat dive price.

If you would dive without supervision ANYWHERE, you can at Coki!!

We recently went on a shore dive with Coki Beach Dive Club and very much enjoyed it. The guide knew where all the more interesting creatures liked to hide and was able to point that out to us. We did our fish identification and underwater naturalization there with a guy named "Turtle" whose knowledge was phenomenal. Was a great dive for us. We used our SeaLife Reefmaster Mini camera with good results (for our first time). See below link to Jewel.

Bruce-r, what should we know about SeaLife?:confused:

Oh, I don't think that there is anything wrong with it, just that it is pretty limited in it functionality, especially compared to some of the equally affordable cameras offered by Canon that also have available underwater housings.

I expect Bruce-R is correct about the boat vs shore at Coki Beach, but you may save some bucks by booking yourself at Coki Beach Dive Club. Of course, by the time your rent all the gear and hire a Divemaster, it may be back up to the boat dive price.

If you would dive without supervision ANYWHERE, you can at Coki!!

I beg to differ on diving at Coki without supervision! We had a very experienced couple go over there and do a shore dive. They were told the better diving was away from the guided tour. They got caught in a very strong current, had to swim to shore, unload their gear and climb up a rocky hillside. They got cut up pretty bad. Please be careful and if you do go there, stay with the guides, they know the waters and should keep you safe.

For St. Thomas you'll likely dive better sites if you do boat dives rather than a shore dive at Coki, but it will cost you a bit more as well.

I liked www.admiraltydive.com in St. Thomas.

And I wish you the best with your camera purchase even though I think you are making a mistake buying a sealife camera.

I used www.admiraltydive.com on Feb 29 and was very pleased with their operation. They are a small dive shop with smaller boats. We only had 5 divers on the trip including the dive master. Dave was the dive master and he has a passion for diving that is very evident. Do not expect a lot of frills from them other then they carry your gear to and from the boat for you and set it up and rinse it at the shop on return since its about good safe fun diving. We dove the wall off of Buck Island and I loved it great vis. I say give em a call.

Oh yeah price was $90 with my gear and I tipped crew $10

We recently went on a shore dive with Coki Beach Dive Club and very much enjoyed it. The guide knew where all the more interesting creatures liked to hide and was able to point that out to us. We did our fish identification and underwater naturalization there with a guy named "Turtle" whose knowledge was phenomenal. Was a great dive for us. We used our SeaLife Reefmaster Mini camera with good results (for our first time). See below link to Jewel.

We agree, my husband and I used them in January. Also had "Turtle". Had a great day. Was a good way to get back into the water after being away from diving for a while.

How did you like the reefmaster mini? I am comtemplating purchasing one of these, but being a novice diver, I am afraid to get distracted from the task at hand - i.e. be distracted by the camera and not enjoy the dive. Did you find that? Alsl - which type of memory card does it take?

I already have a Kodak camera, but unfortunately, there are no underwater housings that are made for it.

For the pictures that you posted, Did you have a strobe on this, or was the the camera with included flash?

Archived