Snakes and Cave-tubing?

kfire

Just curious if anyone has seen snakes or freshwater crocs while on the cavetubing adventure? Is there any danger from these things while cavetubing? Not too worried about myself, but DS4 is a little concerned.

We went cave tubing a week ago and had a lot of fun. Saw some bats sleeping in the caves when you would shine the light towards the ceilings of the caves and saw a few flying around near the openings of the caves, I just turned my light off when I saw them flying around. The water as they call it was refreshly cool but your body will quickly adjust, it feels nice after the hot hike to get there. As for the walk to the tubing spot it was a 45 min. walk carrying our tube through the rain forest on some rough terrain, I did see a snake on our walk but as long as you leave them alone there is no reason to worry, I was told you usually do not see them since they are so well camouflaged. A fun tour.

When my DH & I went on this tour in November '07 we did see one long green snake in the water with us. The water at that time was certainly warm enough for it and Major Tom did say it was one of the nine poisonous snakes in Belize. Naturally, we paddled away from it.:cool: The snake took notice of us but it didn't attempt to follow or come closer than 10 feet, so there was no problem. We saw no snakes on the trails but they definitely are present in the jungle, so don't be surprised if you see one or more. I suspect, though, that when they feel the vibrations of people coming they scurry off into the brush. If someone in your party is excessively worried about snakes I would suggest they hike somewhere in the middle of your tour group. I would not avoid this tour because of the possibility of seeing snakes, regardless.

We've hiked through the rain forrest in Belize to see pyramids and saw plenty of iguana...but no snakes. And, yet we were in North Carolina last summer and I saw more snakes than I've ever seen anywhere on vacation...in the river, in the creek, in the leaves by the cabin, one on the road...and I'm deathly afraid of them. Who would have thought we'd see more in the cool mountains than in the jungle. We plan on doing the excursion this summer...and I have to say I think about snakes, too. The point is, they can be anywhere...we'll just have to relax and Have a good time!

Two weeks in Belize, covering MOST of the Northern half of the country I think, looking for 'em, and the only live snakes we saw were in captivity, and the only dead snake we saw was a harmless and environmentally friendly Mussurana, I think. And that was nearer the airport, and many many miles from the caves. So if you see A snake you may count yourself lucky! :D

We were in Belize on Feb. 20/08 and on the drive up to cave-tubing our guide (Vitalino Reyes-excellent!!!) told us the water inside the caves is too refreshing for snakes, though they have been seen in the open areas when you aren't inside the caves. He also told us we'd be extremely lucky to see a snake as they aren't all that visible or common around groups of people, but if we saw one to tell him as he is comfortable with them and would try to corral one so we would see it closer. We did end up seeing one, but it was when we were ziplining and it just quickly slithered away into the jungle.

We were there in November. Didn't see any snakes or crocs. We had a great time...

I wanted to do this until read here (a few years back) about someone that was bit on the arse by a snake whilst tubing. no desire to become either croc or snake poo.:cool:

I wanted to do this until read here (a few years back) about someone that was bit on the arse by a snake whilst tubing. no desire to become either croc or snake poo.:cool:

Me thinkest as long as you aren't "dangling" any bait you'll prolly be ok!!:p

Me thinkest as long as you aren't "dangling" any bait you'll prolly be ok!!:p

LMAO...that applies to the stingray excursion as well :p

Two weeks in Belize, covering MOST of the Northern half of the country I think, looking for 'em, and the only live snakes we saw were in captivity, and the only dead snake we saw was a harmless and environmentally friendly Mussurana, I think. And that was nearer the airport, and many many miles from the caves. So if you see A snake you may count yourself lucky! :D

Howdy Driftwood,

Haven't heard from you in awhile. How was the vacation in Belize? I haven't been back except for a one day stop on the Enchantment last year since I finished up my previous consulting job down there. Am due for a follow up visit with my client later on this Spring and looking forward to getting back "in country." I love Belize..............:D

Tanker 4

You are the lucky one--everyone else on this Board has probably fallen asleep at least six times apiece over the thousands of words--and recommendations--I have made since we got back! Honestly I had no idea we would be doing so many things, and that so many of them would be done so strenuously! We love Belize also, but for a two-week stay we felt like there was a week's worth of restaurants, and I couldn't get used to rice'n'beans fast enough--I lost eleven pounds in fourteen days, and some of it is staying off! I'm glad the shrimp were there--they are a little smaller than the ones we usually buy here in Swampland, but they ARE delicious! Of course that's the good news--if the Belizeans have food, they can do an excellent job of preparing it!

I certainly appreciate the help you gave us before we went--and I hope your DW will be able to go with you this time! Mine seemed to find plenty to enjoy--and of course there's always cave tubing with Major Tom!

You are the lucky one--everyone else on this Board has probably fallen asleep at least six times apiece over the thousands of words--and recommendations--I have made since we got back! Honestly I had no idea we would be doing so many things, and that so many of them would be done so strenuously! We love Belize also, but for a two-week stay we felt like there was a week's worth of restaurants, and I couldn't get used to rice'n'beans fast enough--I lost eleven pounds in fourteen days, and some of it is staying off! I'm glad the shrimp were there--they are a little smaller than the ones we usually buy here in Swampland, but they ARE delicious! Of course that's the good news--if the Belizeans have food, they can do an excellent job of preparing it!

I certainly appreciate the help you gave us before we went--and I hope your DW will be able to go with you this time! Mine seemed to find plenty to enjoy--and of course there's always cave tubing with Major Tom!

Glad you all had a great time. I know what you mean about losing weight while you're there. I live in Florida and walk/jog about 2 miles a day but the heat and humidity in Belize seems to take weight off of me regardless of how much I eat while I'm there. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the shrimp. I'll pass that on to my shrimp farming client.:)

Haven't set a date for my Spring trip yet but will probably schedule it before the hot weather and hurricane season begins. And yes, I'm taking my DW..........:D

We are doing the cave tubing with cave-tubing dot net in a couple of weeks. I am excited, and also hoping not to see a snake in the water though I don't care if I see one on land. How difficult is the hike to where the cave tubing takes place? Do you take the same hike back afterwards? I am a bit out of shape and just want to make sure it is not way strenuous...:confused:

. . . will take you there. Sheila was not pleased that it is a slight matter of uphill and down, but there is much to see, and Major Tom will have much to show and tell you; and to me the walk became progressively more beautiful--although I was glad when we arrived! When you emerge from the caves and the waters, you will have arrived at a parklike area where there is a spacious set of restrooms to change in and a small store--and your van will be parked in the parking lot, waiting to waft you away! :D No snakes of any description that day, though, nor swimming nor sunning themselves. :(

. . . will take you there. Sheila was not pleased that it is a slight matter of uphill and down, but there is much to see, and Major Tom will have much to show and tell you; and to me the walk became progressively more beautiful--although I was glad when we arrived! When you emerge from the caves and the waters, you will have arrived at a parklike area where there is a spacious set of restrooms to change in and a small store--and your van will be parked in the parking lot, waiting to waft you away! :D No snakes of any description that day, though, nor swimming nor sunning themselves. :(

Thank you so much for the info and for responding so quickly. Only 2 more weeks till we set sail:D

Archived