Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Vancouver ???

Does anyone know anything about the Best Western Granville?

(booking on Hotwire)

Also, what is best transportation to there from the airport and ???

Thanks,

Kathy

"Coral Princess coastal 9/15/-18"

Best Western Granville is located in the middle of Granville St entertainment district which can be noisy and lively at night.

I know that PD doesn't recommend it because of it location but as I live only a couple of blocks from it and can see some of the hotel from my condo balcony the area is reasonably safe at night - are you just staying one night or more than one.

If you are looking at a Best Western because you are redeeming points etc you might want to try the Best Western Downtown - it's only a couple of blocks from the other one but that part of Granville is quieter at night.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks,

We are only there one night. We got it on Hotwire. Probably won't do that again. I think I like picking my own place.

Is it easy to get places during the day, like Stanley Park?

Kathy

Thanks,

We are only there one night. We got it on Hotwire. Probably won't do that again. I think I like picking my own place.

Is it easy to get places during the day, like Stanley Park?

Kathy

i think you will find the hotel to be just fine, but you may want to ask for a room that doesn't face the street and the noise from the clubs could be bothersome.

I too like to pick my own hotels, but I like the deals you can get on Hotwire and Priceline.

It is very easy to get to most places in Vancouver. If you want to go to Stanley Park, either walk or take a bus up to Pender Street then catch the bus that takes you into Stanley Park #19.

Enjoy

Vickie, Bernie and Dennis: My husband and I have just returned from our Alaska cruise and cruisetour. Wow! Absolutely breathtaking. Anyway, I wanted to say a special thank you to you guys for helping in our planning process with all your answers to our questions. Thank you very much!!!:D

We loved all of the places we visited and consider ourselves very fortunate to have been able to visit Alaska and Canada.

Hi, all. I too thank the Vancouverites! We had a great time there, just not enough. Our ship sailed on Saturday July 19th; we flew into Vancouver arriving Thursday evening the 17th, stayed at the Marriott Renaissance (hooray for Marriott points). Our hotel room overlooked the water, and although the view was blocked some by the construction of new apartments across the street we still had a good view of Lions Gate and the seaplane base (with them taking off and landing). We found the Renaissance to be a pretty good location. We were able to have an easy walk to everywhere we wanted to go except Ballantyne, but that is OK as we had our luggage when we went there (and even that was a short cab ride).

We spent most of a leisure Friday walking along the water to Stanley Park, rented bikes just outside the park and rode around the park. We went to the Aquarium and took the tram around the park. We then went to Gastown to eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory and a leisure walk back to the hotel (past Canada Place - the addition to the Convention Center looks like it will be very nice).

When we returned from the cruise the following Saturday morning we made it to Grouse Mountain and had a good time there, as well. The weather was overcast but very comfortable and not raining. We participated in the luggage program where the cruise line sent our luggage to the airport for us; that was great so we didn't have to worry about it while vising Vancouver.

1774700885_mtnfromhotel.JPG.5311f597606c19e26ed653359728dcb5.JPG

1077240615_streetviewfromhotel.jpg.673ff30d07b70960a6194e0d8b3e2a27.jpg

I also want to thank all the Vanacouvrites - especially Dennis for making our trip to Vancouver such a success. We spent 2 days pre & again post cruise in Vancouver and got to enjoy the Hop on Hop off Trolley for the tour of your town, a day at Stanley Park and the Aquarium as well as a day at Grouse Mountain & Cap Suspension Bridge. What a wonderful time.

We found the Marriott Residence Inn in Vancouver a perfect spot for us. The rooms were large which accomodated 4 in the room with all our luggage easily. The free breakfast was great with many choices including make it yourself waffles and fruit & yogurt parfaits. We were so disappointed that we were just too exhausted to get the the International Fireworks festivle but then were so excited that we could see them right out our window.

Loved your city. Thanks for all your tips ahead of time - it certainly made our trip that much more pleasant.

I apologize if this has been answered. Tried reading all 600+ entries and lost my way. We are leaving out of Canada Place and thinking of staying at the Pan Pacific for their Cruise Special. I was wondering how much cab fare is from the airport to the hotel, or do they have their own shuttle, or is there a cheaper way to get to the hotel?

Nancy

I apologize if this has been answered. Tried reading all 600+ entries and lost my way. We are leaving out of Canada Place and thinking of staying at the Pan Pacific for their Cruise Special. I was wondering how much cab fare is from the airport to the hotel, or do they have their own shuttle, or is there a cheaper way to get to the hotel?

No problem, the cab fare from the YVR to PP will run you about $35; there is the Airporter at $13.75 pp that arrives in front of Fairmont's Waterfront hotel which is right across the street from the PP. To my knowledge the hotel does not offer a shuttle but you could inquire of them to be sure.

www.yvrairporter.com/

Hi,

First I want to thank you guys for answering all the questions.

My questions is:

We will be arriving on the train from Seattle the morning of our cruise. What is the best way to get from the train station to the Ballantyne Pier? I did do a search on the thread first but all the answers were about Canada place.

Thanks for your help.

Robin,

Thanks for the reply. I assume (uhoh) that there will be many taxi waiting for passengers when the train comes in. $30 or so is reasonable. I assume (uhoh) that that is CND $. So here is the next question should I get the proper currency?

No problem, the cab fare from the YVR to PP will run you about $35; there is the Airporter at $13.75 pp that arrives in front of Fairmont's Waterfront hotel which is right across the street from the PP. To my knowledge the hotel does not offer a shuttle but you could inquire of them to be sure.

www.yvrairporter.com/

Thanks so much for the answer. Putting together a proposed budget for our trip and this helps.

Nancy

Robin,

Thanks for the reply. I assume (uhoh) that there will be many taxi waiting for passengers when the train comes in. $30 or so is reasonable. I assume (uhoh) that that is CND $. So here is the next question should I get the proper currency?

I would agree a taxi is the best bet and I would think it would be much less, maybe $15 to $20, it really isn't that far.

There will be lots of taxi at the train station, it is also our bus station.

You can pay in US dollar but you will get a very bad exchange rate. I always tell people to get the currency of the place you will be visiting.

I would like to have limo service from the airport to the Westin Bayshore. I checked Limojet Gold's website and it says that reservation are not necessary. We will be arriving at @5pm on a Friday night. Do you think there my be any problems getting a limo? Thank you for any information you may have.

Karen

I would like to have limo service from the airport to the Westin Bayshore. I checked Limojet Gold's website and it says that reservation are not necessary. We will be arriving at @5pm on a Friday night. Do you think there my be any problems getting a limo? Thank you for any information you may have.

Karen

Hi Karen that sounds like a lovely idea. I've never personally done this, but I have seen many many limos outside the airport just waiting for fares.

Karen

I phoned Limo Jet Gold the other day and was assured that they have limos there 24/7 and lots of them so there should be no problem at all.:)

you know what is truely funny -- I have never been to the train/bus station in Vancouver and I was there today! Then I come home and see your question.

Get out of town! When it was the CN Station that is where I got hired to work on the SS Prince George when i was going to university. Over the years I have been there many times picking up family from trains. Must be an age thing.

I would agree a taxi is the best bet and I would think it would be much less, maybe $15 to $20, it really isn't that far.

There will be lots of taxi at the train station, it is also our bus station.

You can pay in US dollar but you will get a very bad exchange rate. I always tell people to get the currency of the place you will be visiting.

I would think that your cab fare would be closer to $15 then $20 and yes anytime I have driven by there are cabs waiting for fares.

Get out of town! When it was the CN Station that is where I got hired to work on the SS Prince George when i was going to university. Over the years I have been there many times picking up family from trains. Must be an age thing.

cute -- but I am not that young

Actually I did take the train from this station when I was about 6, many many moons ago. We travelled back home to Quebec. Since that time I've never had anyone come in by train, and those that take the Greyhound that I know, usually get off in Coquitlam as that is where I live.

It sure is a beautiful building....

Putterdude, what is the SS Prince George, I am guessing a ship? But this is train station? Okay does this show my age?

Well I do turn another year older tomorrow.