Orlando Car Rental Warning-Price Gouging Gas Station

ech39

:mad: I just wanted to let all fellow cruise critic members to be aware of a gas station named SUNCOAST ENERGYS @ 5928 BUTLER NAT'L DR. ORLANDO, FL 32822. This station is directly across the street from Thrifty & Hertz Rental car location closest to MCO Airport.

We went to returned our rental car on Sat. 2/23/08 (after a great cruise) and had to fill up the gas tank before returning(or pay 6.99 per gallon) this station charged us $ 4.499 per gallon..What a rip off. They should be ashamed of them selves screwing people like this.

After some research it appears that this has been going on for sometime, they are the only one close to the airport and car rental places so they know that can screw travelers.

There are no signs outside the station listing prices so we should have know better, but they are praying on the traveler being in a hurry.

Why the state of FL has not shut them down is beyond me. FL relies so much on tourism that I can't beleive they let them continue to RIP OFF THE PUBLIC....

So anyone flying out of MCO and renting a car, PLEASE go about another mile and fill up your car.( If I had only known that before) Save your self some money. Tell all other Cruisers if you can!!

Why the state of FL has not shut them down is beyond me.

The State relies on consumers such as yourself to file complaints against this type of business activity. Here's the link to file an online complaint:

http://www.800helpfla.com/complnt.html

Once the complaint is filed, they will follow up and tell you what action, if any, was taken.

There have been many stories in the press about this station. I think it boils down to the fact they are free to charge any price unless its during a distaster like a hurricane.

I have read many on CC about people complaining and rightly so but some say "I was already out of my car" or "I only needed a few gallons" If it were me I would get my happy b__t back in and go to the next station.

It is price gouging to me but only if I support it.

Preston

:mad: I just wanted to let all fellow cruise critic members to be aware of a gas station named SUNCOAST ENERGYS @ 5928 BUTLER NAT'L DR. ORLANDO, FL 32822. This station is directly across the street from Thrifty & Hertz Rental car location closest to MCO Airport.

We went to returned our rental car on Sat. 2/23/08 (after a great cruise) and had to fill up the gas tank before returning(or pay 6.99 per gallon) this station charged us $ 4.499 per gallon..What a rip off. They should be ashamed of them selves screwing people like this.

After some research it appears that this has been going on for sometime, they are the only one close to the airport and car rental places so they know that can screw travelers.

There are no signs outside the station listing prices so we should have know better, but they are praying on the traveler being in a hurry.

Why the state of FL has not shut them down is beyond me. FL relies so much on tourism that I can't beleive they let them continue to RIP OFF THE PUBLIC....

So anyone flying out of MCO and renting a car, PLEASE go about another mile and fill up your car.( If I had only known that before) Save your self some money. Tell all other Cruisers if you can!!

This station has been investigated by Channel 6 & 9 out of Orlando and was told by the owner, that he has every right to charge what he wants and there is "no law" that says he has to advertise his prices.

I have made a copy of this and again will send it to the TV channels to see if they will do an update again.

Will let you know what I find out. I know when I called to question the validity of his remark to the press, I was told it was none of my business and hung up on.

Sorry

Always

Shirley

Thanks for the warning. So, in returning a car to Thrifty coming from Port Canaveral, does anyone have an area to suggest filling up at (perhaps the previous interstate exit?)

Just get off at 436 (Semoran Blvd) North and dont stop at the 1st station. then when you come out go right back into the airport.

As for Thrifty I am not sure if they are in the airport or somewhere else.

How is this any different then say hotels that jack up their rates when there is a big event in the area. It is no diffent then the car rental places charging their our rageous prices. Its simple supply and demand. Why sell my product for $2 if I can get everyone to pay $4.

Thanks for the warning. So, in returning a car to Thrifty coming from Port Canaveral, does anyone have an area to suggest filling up at (perhaps the previous interstate exit?)

Try Narcoosee Rd exit....there is a large gas station as you exit right and only a couple of miles from the airport. Easy off and on access to the highway as well.

The owner or spokesperson for this gas station has told the press that he is not competing with other gas stations, he is competing with the rental car companies that charge (as mentioned) $6.99/gallon if you don't return the car full. So if you look at it his way he is giving a good deal. Also, to Europeans returning their rental cars this $4.50/gallon is low compared to gas prices back home. When the press has visited this gas station the bays are usually pretty full of cars.

Truth is though that he only thrives because his prices are not posted. Florida does not require the posting of gas prices anywhere except of course on the pump. Some people don't notice, some people are in a hurry, some people only need a few gallons, some people think the price is cheap compared to home, some people think it's better than paying the rental car company's charge plus tax on top of that, etc.

But be forewarned! Also check http://www.orlandogasprices.com for lowest and highest prices.

BobK/Orlando

How about using common sense and paying attention for stations that do post prices as you leave the rental car facility in the first place. Then you won't get taken.

VERY Good point - regardless of who the person is that says they are competing against rental car's prices, do not stop and think that they have someone on a payroll that has to take the time to get the tank filled even if its on their property. Excuse not good enough and as I was told "it was none of my business".

Always

Shirley

There's a Chevron gas station at the intersection of I-4 & SR 535 in Lake Buena Vista that also has prices well-above prevailing rates in the area and his prices are clearly posted. The pumps are full of cars too. Some people just don't care what they're paying.

BobK/Orlando

Archived