Warning--Car Rental Orlando--Gas Station RIP OFF

ech39

I just wanted to let all fellow cruise critic members to be aware of a gas station named SUNCOAST ENERGYS @ 5928 BUTLER NAT'L DR. ORLANDO, FL 32822. This station is directly across the street from Thrifty & Hertz Rental car location closest to MCO Airport.

We went to returned our rental car on Sat. 2/23/08 (after a great cruise) and had to fill up the gas tank before returning(or pay 6.99 per gallon) this station charged us $ 4.499 per gallon..What a rip off. They should be ashamed of them selves screwing people like this.

After some research it appears that this has been going on for sometime, they are the only one close to the airport and car rental places so they know that can screw travelers.

There are no signs outside the station listing prices so we should have know better, but they are praying on the traveler being in a hurry.

Why the state of FL has not shut them down is beyond me. FL relies so much on tourism that I can't beleive they let them continue to RIP OFF THE PUBLIC....

So anyone flying out of MCO and renting a car, PLEASE go about another mile and fill up your car.( If I had only known that before) Save your self some money. Tell all other Cruisers if you can!!:mad:

After some research it appears that this has been going on for sometime, they are the only one close to the airport and car rental places so they know that can screw travelers.

I mention avoiding this station every time I give someone tips about flying in for their cruise. You are correct that they are the biggest ripoff and the closest to the airport.

You are not exactly correct in saying they are the only one close to the airport. Less than one minute away are several stations. ONE MINUTE will make a $2 or more per gallon difference... how lazy would you have to be to say "Oh, that minute it would take for me to go to the next station would only cost me $20 to $30, no big deal. I'll just go here."

Many folks have seen this map I made.

X = the offending station

O = solid, nice, reasonable and well-lit gas stations

O = limited hour, older gas stations that still seem to have reasonable prices

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee55/pts_fark/gasmap.jpg

I won't link it inline, because it is wide.

EDITED TO ADD:

It is a law in Florida that all stations must publically display the prices that correspond to their pumps. Send your complaint to the Florida DOT.

It is displayed... on the pump itself. That is all the law requires, so that is how they get around it. If you lived here, this station and this topic and the law come up every few months in the local media... the answer is TECHNICALLY they meet the req't of the law.

I mention avoiding this station every time I give someone tips about flying in for their cruise. You are correct that they are the biggest ripoff and the closest to the airport.

You are not exactly correct in saying they are the only one close to the airport. Less than one minute away are several stations. ONE MINUTE will make a $2 or more per gallon difference... how lazy would you have to be to say "Oh, that minute it would take for me to go to the next station would only cost me $20 to $30, no big deal. I'll just go here."

Well this is the only one we saw, as I am not familar with the area, so I guess we were suckers, but I just wanted to warn people so it does not happen to someone else.

I hope you didn't take that as me busting your chops... I wasn't. I just want to educate people too. The more that know, the better.

I drive past that place EVERY SINGLE DAY and see cars getting gassed up. If only they knew.

http://www.orlandogasprices.com/

That site has listed Suncoast Energys as the most expensive station in town for about 4 years running.

EDITED TO ADD:

I can see re-reading my post that it may have sounded like I was saying YOU were lazy, but in actuality I meant that I know people who work in the rental car businesses who tell their customers not to go there and THOSE PEOPLE STILL GO THERE!!!! Can you believe that? That is laziness defined. "This is right here, but it's $2 more... oh well." There are plenty of people who know better and still go.

isnt that price gouging?

This is another comment brought up frequently. Sadly, it's not.

Since they have records to prove they ALWAYS charge more than other stations, they aren't gouging. Gouging laws only kick in when there is an event that causes rapid price fluctuations.

If I sell you gas at $3/gal (while most other places are also at $3/gal) normally and then a hurricane comes, I'm not allowed to suddenly increase my price to $5/gal to take advantage of the fact that you have to buy gas to leave town.

If I sell you $5/gal (while most other places are at $3/gal) and a hurricane comes... I can still sell it for $5/gal. You just aren't allowed to change your NORMAL price structure to change.

The person or persons that own that station have chosen to take the route that "a fresh crop of stupid tourists come to town every day" and they know that people will by default simply chose the closest option. They know that people aren't nearly as likely to leave the station once they've pulled their car up, turned it off and opened their door. They also know that the vast majority of people are at the last hour of their long vacation. They are tired, they don't want to look for some other option... THEY JUST WANT TO GO HOME.

I have long said that the other stations could make a fortune simply by putting up a billboard there that says "Cheaper gas 2.5 blocks North" or something.

It is ultimately short-sited to treat tourists like they are stupid. Their business will ULTIMATELY fail if they continue too long, but for the last several years they have made a killing overcharging people.

Thank you for the map with the gas stations. It will be very helpful! Since I'm not from the Orlando area, I often don't feel like "exploring" to find another gas station. Now I know what to expect, and where less expensive gasoline can be found. Thanks, again!

I think that every airport gas station in the country is a rip off. I know that here in Maryland, the gas stations that are right off the interstate are more expensive then the ones just down the road, but those who are traveling have no idea and just want to get back on.

Oh, yeah, we got hosed there last year, too.

I remember DH getting out, starting to pump the gas, then yelling "HOLY S#&^%!!!" He stopped immediately, and we drove down the road to another station. Thankfully we were kind of familiar with the area.

It might be legal, but it isn't right!

Archived