Which shore excursions for Eastern Carribean?

sunshinestatemom

We are cruising on Royal Carribean FOS over spring break with our three children, ages 4 1/2 and 6 year old twins. Ports are San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We can handle skipping the beach - we live 5 miles from it and vacation on Marco Island every summer. What shore excursions would be best for our family?

St. Thomas for us always means a trip to Coral World

http://www.coralworldvi.com/

St.Martin we've been on the "Under the Two Flags Tour" (nice to see both sides of the island). Recently though we've been going to Orient Beach. So that doesn't help you. ;)

San Juan is a tough port for me because you arrive so darn late right? Usually everyone just walks Old San Juan and looks around. I wanted to do the BioLuminesant tour but it wasn't offered.

St. Thomas for us always means a trip to Coral World

http://www.coralworldvi.com/

St.Martin we've been on the "Under the Two Flags Tour" (nice to see both sides of the island). Recently though we've been going to Orient Beach. So that doesn't help you. ;)

San Juan is a tough port for me because you arrive so darn late right? Usually everyone just walks Old San Juan and looks around. I wanted to do the BioLuminesant tour but it wasn't offered.

Michelle, what do you think of Orient Beach? We're doing Mariner in 2 weeks with these same ports and I have nothing planned. Thought about trying to get to St. Johns but figured it was going to be too much for my mom so thought instead we'd just try for Sapphire. I want beaches where we can rent chairs (neither she or I want to sit on the sand), where there is a place to rinse off, someplace for lunch. Do Sapphire on St. T and Orient have these things or can you make other recommendations. My kids are a bit older I think than yours...ds1 is 10 and ds2 is 5.5.

Michelle, what do you think of Orient Beach? We're doing Mariner in 2 weeks with these same ports and I have nothing planned. Thought about trying to get to St. Johns but figured it was going to be too much for my mom so thought instead we'd just try for Sapphire. I want beaches where we can rent chairs (neither she or I want to sit on the sand), where there is a place to rinse off, someplace for lunch. Do Sapphire on St. T and Orient have these things or can you make other recommendations. My kids are a bit older I think than yours...ds1 is 10 and ds2 is 5.5.

Orient Beach is beautiful. I warn everyone on this board (since it's for families) that the beach is a top optional beach and the far end is a clothing optional beach (think Discovery Channel nude not playboy channel nude) lol

My kids didn't pay any attention at all to the topless women. But like you said, they are young.

Thanks Michelle. Does Orient have chairs for rent and food available? I'm going to have to do a search somewhere on one of the USVI sites to see what I can find. It might be the best option for us. I don't think my kids will care all that much if I tell them about it and remind them not to stare. But they are boys so they don't see that too often (although younger ds still showers with me!). I'm probably warping him for life.

Not Michelle, here, but just thought I'd add that Orient Beach has a bar/cafe which has a shaded wooden playset in the sand. It was just a little to the left of where the cab dropped us off. My kids loved it, and it was nice to get them out of the sun for a bit. When we were there, the surf was a little intense (not sure if that is always the case), and I didn't let my little one in the water unless she was holding an adult's hand - at least on that day, it was not a >let the kids play in the shallows while you keep a close eye on them< kind of beach. As far as the tops optional bit, I just explained that, when we travel, we experience other customs, etc. and that tops optional is actually common in some other parts of the world. My kids were too young to care, though.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that we had a great time flying a kite on the grounds outside the fort in San Juan. The grounds are open even if the fort is closed, and there were a lot of locals picnicing, etc. Not sure if it will still be daylight when you dock, but if it is you might consider this. We brought a collapsible kite with us, but they were for sale there. Also, I'd suggest taking a cab up from the dock, and then walking back through the old part of town, as it's all downhill.

Have a great time.

Archived