Internet access on Mariner?

AndyB

Can someone advise me on the best way to connect on Mariner? I'll have a laptop and will need to be connected at work (I know, it's vacation, but being connected lets me take a LONG vacation! :) It's a good trade-off.)

I see RCI offers the cyber-cabin option, on first come-first served basis. Has anyone not been able to get the equipment (phone)? And is the cyber cabin needed with the Wifi hotspots (I'm a dinosaur who's never been wireless before - somehow I don't trust it if it's not plugged in) - could I just go to one of those spots to connect? I will need to check in for maybe 15-20 minutes daily - what's the best way to do that?

Thanks!

On my trip on the Mariner last April, I didn't use the Cyber cabin, but I did use the wi-fi. You need to establish your account first, using one of the computers in the internet cafe. Once that's done, you can use your laptop wirelessly. Each time you connect, your browser will display a log on screen for access to the internet.

I was on deck 7, right outside the library...I could get a signal in the cabin sometimes, at other times I needed to go to a hotspot to get logged in. Speed on wi-fi is very slow...about what I used to experience with an old 56k dial up connection. Hope that helps.

I think that RCI is phasing out Cybercabin - on my last cruise on Voyager out or Barcelona in August they had to hunt one down for me and then it turned out not to be compatible with Vista - and I was told they are phasing it out. So you have to go to WiFi in the library - and IT was not compatible with Vista, either. Am waiting for another week or so to go by and will check to see what status is on Vision - taking it out of Los Angeles in April.

At best - speeds are slow - like old dial up service.

Lou

Archived