Meniere's Disease

shashy

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has cruised with Meniere's? I did ask this awhile ago when I was planning a cruise but I was not suffering the actual bad parts of this disease at that time. I have it now but can function with meds.

Anyone out there with any info would be great! My friends joke and say being on the cruise will probably balance me out. I can't imagine that!!!

I cruise with it all of the time. I book midship staterooms both horizontally and vertically, and make sure that I have my Meclizine with me; and I honestly think that I get seasick less than the average person, because I'm kind of dizzy all of the time anyway, so I compensate well. Now flying, though, is another story entirely.

Well that is good to hear. Although, Meclizine doesn't do it for me. At the moment, the meds are the seasick patch behind ear and valium---it makes the spinning stop. Still though if I make any sudden movements, I still get dizzy.

We were originally booked for this week of cruising but I was full blown Meniere's. Hadn't had it in 3 1/2 years!!!!

I would love to give the cruise a try in March but Geez, couldn't imagine it going badly and then I on the ship!!!!

My best friend has Meniere's and is nervous to cruise because of it. She uses the meditronic device to control her symptoms. She hasn't had an attack in 8 months or so and it was a year before that that she had one, but she was having them several times a week for awhile. I lived with her at the time and have so much sympathy for others with the condtion, I saw her go through hell even when following the doctor's instructions about eliminating salt and alcohol, among other things.

I'm happy to tell her that others with Meniere's have cruised successfully :)

Yeah, I have cut sodium back to 500mg or less. That is so hard to do-especially with all of my kids leftovers!!!! My girlfriend was actually staying with us when it happened-at my worst-in bed not moving for 48 hours-it scared her and my kids!!!!

I have no idea what that method is about your girlfriend?

Of course, getting rid of all stress is a good idea too. I actually laugh at Dr.s when they say that!!!

Not sure if cruising is such a great idea for me now cause I am still symptomatic. But cruises are so much fun-I am bummed.

It can be pretty scary to see someone you care about going through this. Although not as scary as for that person I can imagine!

My friend tried medication and diuretics and nothing worked. The meditronic device was her doctor's last resort as it doesn't work for everyone and is 4-5k (and not typically covered by insurance). It's worked like a charm for her though! She had tubes inserted in her ears (eardrums?) and the device is used in correlation with them. It's a small electronic box with a clear plastic tube that is inserted in the ear. The device is turned on for a 5 minute cycle and sends vibrations through the tube into the eardrum. I think the premise is that it clears the eardrum of any fluid. She uses it 3-4 times a day.

My friend has been on small boats and has been fine but she's worried that the constant motion of the cruise ship will make her dizzy. I think I'm going to have to convince her to give it a try! Maybe with a 3-4 night cruise, just in case.

Yeah, I have cut sodium back to 500mg or less. That is so hard to do-especially with all of my kids leftovers!!!! My girlfriend was actually staying with us when it happened-at my worst-in bed not moving for 48 hours-it scared her and my kids!!!!

I have no idea what that method is about your girlfriend?

Of course, getting rid of all stress is a good idea too. I actually laugh at Dr.s when they say that!!!

Not sure if cruising is such a great idea for me now cause I am still symptomatic. But cruises are so much fun-I am bummed.

I've actually flared on the ship before (and I have the disease in both ears, not just one). I discovered that the best way to deal with it in those circumstances is to make sure that your feet are pointed toward the bow of the ship and your head to the aft, and then to lie down with the affected ear up toward the ceiling. Keep a night light on in the room, so that you can see and be oriented should you have to get up. I don't eat any added salt, so that is not an issue for me. I developed Meniere's in 1992-93 (the years that I did my first cruises, if you will note), and I have done lots after that.

One thing that helps is just keeping a positive attitude and developing good coping mechanisms for any symptoms that may come along. I do, though, tend to avoid the tempestuous times of the year, and cruise in waters that are not normally really rough (though I made it through 30 foot seas and 50 mph winds with really only a little bit of nausea). I also use the sea bands for acupressure relief of symptoms, and they work very well.

My MIL has suffered for years and every time she says she hates to cruise she books another one....that's not so bad for a 91 year old heading off on a Disney cruise in April...Hang in there you too can sail...hate it and then book another!!!!!!

I work in a very large ENT department. I decided to ask the doctors here what they thought about cruising with Meniere's. They said there is no literature out there (that they know of) stating that a person with Meniere's should not cruise, even though the inner ear is already affected. The only thing they suggest is to try to watch the diet on the cruise, due to the salt intake. The drastic change in diet can cause the symptoms to be worse. I asked them if they would tell a Meniere's patient not to go on a cruise and they said no, they would not tell that person not to, but they would tell them to seriously try to watch the salt intake (which they know is quite impossible on a cruise).

Thanks for all of the wonderful info. By process of elimination, I was told I have Meniere's. It has been a month of dizziness---spinning in the beginning until it got controlled by meds. I keep sodium under 500mg. I am just afraid that if I feel like this on land, it has to be worse on a ship but I really want to go!!!!!! Hopefully soon it will go away like last time.

Archived