Captain Zodiac snorkel adventure

Clearwater Bill

Ok so we have decided we really want to go with Captian Zodiac... my question now is how? Our cruise line NCL offers it for 99 each... or is there a way to book direct?

You have to book it through your cruise line.

The good part is that the zodiac leaves right where your tender boat arrives. I really like and recommend captain zodiac (or fairwind for people who don't want fast bumpy ride).

If you wanted to rent a car anyway that day, you could do seaquest instead and save a bunch of money. It's about a 10 minute drive south. I suggest doing place of refuge as something to do beforehand. Make sure to rent car out of king kamehameha hotel instead of the airport to avoid wasting a whole lot of time. Don't even think about trying to make the morning excursion, you'd have to sign up for the afternoon one.

http://web.mac.com/sqhawaii/seaquesthawaii.net/DELUXE_AFTERNOON_ADVENTURE_.html

• Administrators
I think what you heard was parrot fish chomping on coral, not shrimp.

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

That works for me too, and I still remember how to say it -- the official state fish of Hawaii. :) Don't forget the diacritical mark -- ...apua'a, no? ;) Still, I'd never heard that crackling sound before, and as soon as I did I was thinking "wow, this is a real LIVE reef." I guess I thought it was shrimp from something the naturalist on the Fair Wind II said.

• Administrators
For us, we did the Fair Wind (http://www.fair-wind.com/) out of Keauhou Bay to Kealakekua Bay and didn't regret a minute of THAT decision. In fact, when we got to K Bay and saw the zodiacs on site my SO, who knew the angst I'd suffered over making that decision (which he left to me), looked at me and asked if I'd "lost my mind" even thinking about the zodiacs as a choice I could do. There's a reason I love him! :)

I will say I thought K Bay was simply amazing snorkeling. The water is indeed "brackish" -- in fact it's more than brackish, which is a mix of sea and fresh water. K Bay is a salt water bay, with a living coral reef, on which you can hear the shrimp snapping. Amazing day and great experience, whoever you choose!

Thank you MichellP. I have just booked my family on to this tour for our Kona day. Could I please ask you, how do you get from the cruise to the departure point for this tour?

We took the earliest tender we could from our ship (Kona is a tender port) and took a cab straight to the Fair Wind's offices, arriving about 7:45 AM. There are cabs right by the tender pier at Kona. Cab fare was $25 one way including tip, and we arranged with our driver to pick us up when the Fair Wind docked from the morning sail. Our cab happened to be a minivan (we saw a lot of them there) so hopefully one would hold your family. The drivers are well acquainted with the Fair Wind, where it docks, and what time it returns -- and it does return on time, because they have an afternoon trip to make as well.

What ship are you on, when, and what time are you scheduled on station at Kona? I ask because I want to encourage you to please make sure you are aware of Fair Wind's cancellation policies. They are much more willing to book cruise ship pax than they were in the past, because so many of us have successfully managed to get there for their morning sail. But when we called the folks made very clear to us -- pleasantly, but very clear -- that if our ship couldn't tender, or for some reason we couldn't be there by sailing time, they'd leave without us and we'd lose our money. On balance, we decided to take the chance, since there was nothing else we wanted to do at Kona even half as much (and we had travel insurance to reimburse nonrefundable expenses) -- but there are just 2 of us. If there are more of you, I want to be sure you know the potential downside so you can make an informed decision -- we LOVED this day, and highly recommend it, but I still don't want to read a post here in two months saying "MichellP's advice cost our family $300!" :)

The same company also offers their sister ship, the Hula Kai, which leaves later than the Fair Wind. That one furnishes a bit more margin for error if you want to consider it -- we plan to do that one when we return to the Big Island for a land-based stay -- she's a beautiful catamaran.

• Administrators
MichellP: OT, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your approach to "that" birthday.;) (Birthday, who said I have to have a birthday? I don't got to show you no stinking birthday!):p :D

beachchick

LOL, BC, not sure how I missed this (okay, wait, yes I am -- this was posted during the generalized board meltdown before they disabled ALL search and actually made the boards usable again, and then threads weren't showing as having new posts)! :)

We really do have to go enjoy those maitais and stand firm in the anti-birthday club! Too much in common not to, with a few civilized differences as well. ;)

LOL, BC, not sure how I missed this (okay, wait, yes I am -- this was posted during the generalized board meltdown before they disabled ALL search and actually made the boards usable again, and then threads weren't showing as having new posts)! :)

We really do have to go enjoy those maitais and stand firm in the anti-birthday club! Too much in common not to, with a few civilized differences as well. ;)

:p Oh I just know we'd hit it off like old friends. The kind of friends who know all about you, love you anyway, and are happy to debate differences in a civilized way (and then have a drink to celebrate later).:D

I can even empathize with you about your arthritis. I've got both osteo (from plain old wear and tear) and mild symptoms of RA (an added bonus of my "mixed auto-immune" diseases). It's a pain in the butt...no wait , pain in the back...no wait, pain in both! Beats the alternative though, doesn't it?

So, here's the deal: My beloved DH accidently broke my Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai glass last week. He felt so bad about it. He had expressed concern that I was using it for his morning smoothie every day and wasn't I afraid he might break it. (As if I don't break stuff all the time--another fun feature of auto-immune disease with all that bumping into things and dropping stuff). I told him, "What's the point of having it if we don't use it? That's like hiding the good china." Of course, he felt even worse when he realized that it would cost him at least $2000 to replace it becuase I absolutely must buy my glass in person, don't you know? Guess that means we'd best keep saving up for our "next trip" to the islands. Just today he was bemoaning the fact that home and medical expenses have "robbed" us of money to put in the travel fund and how he could really use a trip to Hawaii. Hm...Must ponder how we can arrange to be there at the same time, meet each other, and have some fun.:D

beachchick

p.s., That general board meltdown was a real PITA. I finally gave up a couple of nights and came back later.

:p Oh I just know we'd hit it off like old friends. The kind of friends who know all about you, love you anyway, and are happy to debate differences in a civilized way (and then have a drink to celebrate later).:D

I can even empathize with you about your arthritis. I've got both osteo (from plain old wear and tear) and mild symptoms of RA (an added bonus of my "mixed auto-immune" diseases). It's a pain in the butt...no wait , pain in the back...no wait, pain in both! Beats the alternative though, doesn't it?

So, here's the deal: My beloved DH accidently broke my Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai glass last week. He felt so bad about it. He had expressed concern that I was using it for his morning smoothie every day and wasn't I afraid he might break it. (As if I don't break stuff all the time--another fun feature of auto-immune disease with all that bumping into things and dropping stuff). I told him, "What's the point of having it if we don't use it? That's like hiding the good china." Of course, he felt even worse when he realized that it would cost him at least $2000 to replace it becuase I absolutely must buy my glass in person, don't you know? Guess that means we'd best keep saving up for our "next trip" to the islands. Just today he was bemoaning the fact that home and medical expenses have "robbed" us of money to put in the travel fund and how he could really use a trip to Hawaii. Hm...Must ponder how we can arrange to be there at the same time, meet each other, and have some fun.:D

beachchick

p.s., That general board meltdown was a real PITA. I finally gave up a couple of nights and came back later.

beachchick

p.s., That general board meltdown was a real PITA. I finally gave up a couple of nights and came back later. It's still having "fits" at night--working for one thread and then nada for 20 or 30 minutes.

beachchick

p.s., That general board meltdown was a real PITA. I finally gave up a couple of nights and came back later. It's still having "fits" at night--working for one thread and then nada for 20 or 30 minutes.

• Administrators

"p.s., That general board meltdown was a real PITA. I finally gave up a couple of nights and came back later. It's still having "fits" at night--working for one thread and then nada for 20 or 30 minutes."

Yes, Beachchick.... I noticed the board fits! ;) Hopefully all will be well with the boards soon, since apparently there are still a few "issues" to be worked out. Sorry to hear about your Royal Hawaiian glass, but glad to hear your DH is already thinking about how to plan a trip to acquire another! After our Alaska interval (by ship this summer; on land summer of '09) Hawaii is on the agenda for us in 2010. Since I'm a teacher we'll go in the summer, because this will be at least a two week land-based trip, and I don't have that long for spring or winter breaks!

• 1 year later...

We are on the Pride of America in a few weeks and are booked for the afternoon trip (leaves at 12:30). But they do offer a morning tour also. Does anyone know if the weather (less chance of rain or wind) would more likely be better in the morning? I thought the afternoon would be warmer but I know on some islands it can get a little iffy in the afternoon.

They take you to Kealakekua Bay to snorkel. It's where Captain Cook came into the Hawaiian Islands. We loved this trip, but I was not happy until they stopped and moved me to the back of the raft. Way too much bouncing around in the middle of the raft. In the back - super fun.

We saw tons of fish. They let you snorkel for about an hour, then pick you up and tour the harbor. Saw probably 100 dolphins jumping around. Then, we saw a lava cave.

Gave us fins, masks, and then chips and cookies afterwards. Stored our belonging securely. I had a purse and it was stored and kept dry, no problem.

I highly recommend this! I was a first time snorkeler and they were extremely helpful getting me started.

I see this is an older post that has been resurrected. (We are just back from POA, will try to put up my general thoughts soon, but wanted to comment on this excursion). We were an older group (early 50’s) family with one teenager. We did the Captain Zodiac and enjoyed it, although I must say my generally achy neck is still a bit stiff, sort of like a minor whiplash injury. I did sit in the back of the boat. No one else in my family got achy. The motion of the boat is an intermittent hard “belly-flop” of the stern, like riding a fast-galloping horse. I think I was tensing my upper body too much trying to hold on to the rope and that is why I tightened up. For me, the first 5 minutes was a hoot and then I sort of got tired of the belly flop motion and wished it would stop. The trip each way was about 30 minutes, with 2 short stops for delightful history/geology lessons. We unfortunately did not see any dolphins. I think there were way too many boats out and it scared them off. Busy tourist time.

I have also done the Fair Winds in the past and really enjoyed that. The snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay is beautiful. We had one hour of snorkel time with Captain Zodiak and I think slightly longer with Fair Winds. The kids will get a kick out of Captain Zodiac but if you have a choice and are not built for speed I would do the Fair Winds. Mornings will be more clear as by 11 am the water was already starting to get a bit murky, and the temperature difference between morning and afternoon is not very much. Whichever way you choose, you will feel like you are in "Finding Nemo", it is that beautiful out there!

Enjoy!

I see this is an older post that has been resurrected. (We are just back from POA, will try to put up my general thoughts soon, but wanted to comment on this excursion). We were an older group (early 50’s) family with one teenager. We did the Captain Zodiac and enjoyed it, although I must say my generally achy neck is still a bit stiff, sort of like a minor whiplash injury. I did sit in the back of the boat. No one else in my family got achy. The motion of the boat is an intermittent hard “belly-flop” of the stern, like riding a fast-galloping horse. I think I was tensing my upper body too much trying to hold on to the rope and that is why I tightened up. For me, the first 5 minutes was a hoot and then I sort of got tired of the belly flop motion and wished it would stop. The trip each way was about 30 minutes, with 2 short stops for delightful history/geology lessons. We unfortunately did not see any dolphins. I think there were way too many boats out and it scared them off. Busy tourist time.

I have also done the Fair Winds in the past and really enjoyed that. The snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay is beautiful. We had one hour of snorkel time with Captain Zodiak and I think slightly longer with Fair Winds. The kids will get a kick out of Captain Zodiac but if you have a choice and are not built for speed I would do the Fair Winds. Mornings will be more clear as by 11 am the water was already starting to get a bit murky, and the temperature difference between morning and afternoon is not very much. Whichever way you choose, you will feel like you are in "Finding Nemo", it is that beautiful out there!

Enjoy!

I have this excursion planned in February, but I was going to do the afternoon one instead of the morning one. Am now thinking I should change to do the am excursion given Wan's comments about the water becoming murky later in the day and the temp not really changing.

Can anyone one else comment on early vs later excursion?

Thanks a bunch

Had a fabulous time, absolutely fabulous. If it was murky, I did not know it.

That's great! Like I said, it depends.......and they are planning to be here in February. Our currents and winds shift in the winter, so it can be worse---or better. All up to Mother Nature.:)

They take you to Kealakekua Bay to snorkel. It's where Captain Cook came into the Hawaiian Islands. We loved this trip, but I was not happy until they stopped and moved me to the back of the raft. Way too much bouncing around in the middle of the raft. In the back - super fun.

We saw tons of fish. They let you snorkel for about an hour, then pick you up and tour the harbor. Saw probably 100 dolphins jumping around. Then, we saw a lava cave.

Does this mean they leave you there

Gave us fins, masks, and then chips and cookies afterwards. Stored our belonging securely. I had a purse and it was stored and kept dry, no problem.

I highly recommend this! I was a first time snorkeler and they were extremely helpful getting me started.

Enjoy!

I was considering this tour but now i think not. Although i would have loved the bounching around in the past i now have a neck problem so i think this tour would be a big no no

Hi Nelie, Captain Zodiac does not leave you at K Bay. They stay right there with you.

It is a shame that NCL does not offer Fair Winds as a shore excursion. I also never looked into the possibility of a private charter out to K Bay. I'm sure this would be very pricey.

Archived