Will it be crowded?

timetravellers

Not at all some days you will wonder where everyone is.

We have had days when we have walked down one of the corridors and not met a sole. You can also find places on the ship that are quite for a nice read or snooze if you prefer.

We have been on much larger ships and not felt overcrowded. Remember that on port days and if you stay on the ship then you will think where is everyone.

Sea days you will notice more people, but sit away from the main pools and you will have plenty of space.

we did this cruise last June on the QM2 and it was no way crowded.

Just wanted to add that i loved the cruise of the fjords, i would love to go back to Norway and see more of it - but that would mean missing out on a cruise for a holiday!!!:eek:

Have a fantastic time!!

Jenni

we did this cruise last June on the QM2 and it was no way crowded.

To compare Ventura to QM2 is not like for like. They are both ships. They both float on the sea. They are both owned by Carnival. End of story.

QM2 is an ocean liner. She is designed to spend days at sea with comfortable passengers. Personally, I would not anticipate cruising on QM2. In my experience, she is a ship for crossing. I much prefer a ship like Oriana, or perhaps Queen Victoria for cruising.

Ventura is an ugly barge designed to be a floating hotel. When full, I am quite sure that she will be crowded and although the interiors do appear to be quite pleasant, I do not think that I am likely to be aboard. (Although I could be wrong!)

David

Strange view regarding Ventura :confused: I am sure they said the same thing about the QE2 when it was launched back in the day.

If Ventura is a barge "Narrow boat " she’s not, what is the QM2 a floating hotel if ever I have seen one. Very ugly looking ship. And the Queen Victoria is the same shape as Arcadia. Just my view!

QM2, Ventura at al.

The beauty comes from the inside.

The only time I see the ship as a whole, is the few times I go ashore.

On a QM2 transatlantic what difference does the apparent lack of beauty of ship mean to those on board. Zilch!

It may matter a great deal in the middle of the Atlantic. A liner invariable has beautiful lines incorporating a decent sized weather deck and bow. She cuts through the waves rather than the blunt cruiseships with boneshaking tendencies as they crash into waves.

As to the space ratios; In my experience, the only crowded area on QM2 has been Kings Court and, for the same reason, the Belvedere on Arcadia. I obviously cannot speak for Ventura, but I rather expect that once all the families are aboard, it will feel crowded.

David

M/V Queen Victoria, like the Arcadia and Holland America's Vista ships (Zuiderdam etc) are all derived from the Carnival Spirit class, the first of which was the Carnival Spirit.

Are they beautiful? In my opinion, yes, especially in the Holland America livery.

Is the QE2 more beautiful? In my opinion, yes.... but she's not the most beautiful ocean liner Cunard have owned. If I'm the judge (and in this post, I am:) ) then I'd award that honour to either the Carinthia (or any of her Saxony sisters), or to the Queen Elizabeth.

BTW, the QE2 has a bulbous bow... but as her design speed is over 30 knots, it's rather different in shape to the bulbous bows on ships with a lower design speed. A bulbous bow affects how well a ship rides in rough weather - it usually reduces pitching, but it can also cause "bulb slap". Altering course or speed slightly usually stops bulb slap.

I've crossed the Atlantic three times, each time the weather was rough. The Arcadia rode force 10 weather quite well, with very little roll. There was some pitching, which was to be expected as the Atlantic swell was long (two thousand feet) and high (averaging 20 feet crest to trough with occasional waves being significantly deeper/higher).

BTW, deplying stabilizers will reduce roll, sometimes by 90% or so, but what isn't generally known is that it can increase pitching slightly.

VP

I was thinking of starting a Ventura thread but a couple of posts here give me an IN.

Has anyone noticed the heavy discounting on Ventura for cruises on the next couple of months?

As the newest, but largest, P&O ship is it possible that their regular customers are not convinced? Is there an over capacity?

In answer to the original question, based on the adverts alone it will not be overcrowded. Now if it is full where will you find the crowds?

You will find a fair number, say 60 or so lining the rails on the sailaway. The other 2939 will be on a rail somewhere else.

At dinner time some 1500 will be making their way to a dining room. The others will be in their cabins sleeping/changing. After eating 750 of you will make your way to the theatre.

Other areas, such as round the pool, may be filled to capacity but only to capacity. The other 2500 will be somewhere else.

The most you will ever see of your passengers will be at the checkin. Now here is an odd fact and virtually guaranteed. You will see perhaps a dozen of the passengers that are checking in near you almost all the time, every day, on the cruise. The other 2987? Invisible.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived