Naples excursions???? (merged)

We used APTours and they were fabulous.

Driver (impeccably dressed and cute too;) ) picked us up at the dock in a brand new van. Then straight to Pompeii where they had arranged for a private guide (extra fee) for 2-1/2 hr tour. Pina was great !!!

Then to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and ended in Sorrento. We had We had "on our own time" in each place. We had voted to take the ferry back to Naples instead of driving back. 9 euros per person and much fun !!!!! Got the see the coastline from the water and a spectacular sunset (they also arranged just for us :rolleyes: ) and then the ferry docked right next to our ship for a very short walk back.

This was definately my favorite day of our 9 night cruise.

I think this tour would be my choice and have a couple of questions for you. When were you there? And out of curiosity how much for the tour? I guess APT has a website that we can find and look for?

I think this tour would be my choice and have a couple of questions for you. When were you there? And out of curiosity how much for the tour? I guess APT has a website that we can find and look for?

www.aptours.it

We were there the day after Thanksgiving in November. Off Season.

Loved travelling Europe this time of year. Gorgeous weather....no crowds, no lines, no bad traffic. Because of no traffic we zipped from one village to another.....plenty of time in each one to explore, shop, eat, etc. I can only imagine those roads with big buses...lots of cars and mopeds. Our driver told us in summer they are sometimes at a total standstill :eek:

We had 4 couples split the cost of everything. The driver for the entire day was 500 euros (125 each couple) the private guide at Pompeii was 100 euros (25 each couple) we each paid for our own entry fees. Then we each paid for our own ferry ticket from Sorrento to Naples at 9 euros each. So it worked out to 159 euros PER COUPLE when you split it this way. We each went our own direction in each village so it's not like you are attached to "the group" - meeting back at the van at a designated time.

APTours will customize your day for you..... I would use them again for sure.

Great information, thanks. We are heading over in October. Were there any places closed because of the off season?

A few..... but not that it stopped us from finding wonderful places to eat and PLENTY of places to shop !!!

Corfu was perhaps the most "shut down" but again it didnt have any affect on our experience.

Rome, Naples(Amalfi), Dubrovnik, Florence, Nice(Monaco etc), Aix-en-Provence and Barcelona were plenty lively !!!!

We were there from 7-7 but were back aboard long before that. We were there in late Nov. so it got dark about 4:30 and the sun was setting on the way back on the ferry.

If you are not doing Pompeii there is plenty of time. We spent the morning in Pompeii and the villages in the afternoon. We had quite a bit of time in each one too.

Check out www.aptours.it They were excellent.

Thanks so much Teaxancruzer! I will definitely call APtours.

After spending some time this afternoon looking at a map of the area it seems that it might be worthwhile to take the high speed ferry to Sorrento and then hook up with a tour from there.

There is also a price difference going from Naples and Sorrento, but then you have to add in the cost of the ferry and the times they run, which might not make it doable.

Any thoughts about that TC?

Gosh I am just not that familiar with the ferry/hydrofoil schedules etc. to give advice on your plans' feasability. :o

I know the ferry ride back was a nice deviation from all the driving we did that day. Understand there is a hydrofoil too - we did not see it and we rode a regular ferry (big boat) - mostly locals on it too.

I would really figure out exactly what you feel you MUST see/do that day and then do alot of research on if this would work or not. Also to consider is if the weather is to cooperate with you..... such as bad weather making ferries unreliable....then what ? Always have a "PLAN B"

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising on the Carnival Freedom this summer, and have found some great excursions throughout Europe. My 8 family members are being picked up at the Napoli port and being taken on a drive to Pompeii, Herculaneum and possibly to briefly visit the Mt. Vesuvius area via the Sorrento coast, at a very affordable rate.

Talk to Josephine at Italy Limousine - she was very helpful and knows the area well. Italy Limousine also can arrange private trips in most other areas throughout Italy.

I will report back more when we return in July, but for others like us that are looking to pre-book excursions for summer cruises outside of the high-priced cruise line offerings, I thought I'd share my experience with Italy Limousine that were very helpful at arranging our Napoli and Livorno/Pisa area trips.

I'm just back from Voyager of the Seas and can highly recommend "Amalfi Drive and Pompeii" excursion. Unbelievable scenery - I don't know how they can drive those large coaches through those tiny streets! It cost $149 for the full day, including lunch and 2-1/2 hours in Pompeii at the end of the day. We drove from Naples to Sorrento on a highway, then from Sorrento to Amalfi along the coast, and took the highway back to Pompeii and Naples. We had rainy weather in Pompeii, so I can't comment about the best time of day to visit. It was a wonderful day anyway, despite the weather!

Liz

for the user that has problems with mother: naples is a must see. u can take her to caffè gambrinus and have a wonderfull granita. it's not far from the port, naples deserves believe, if she really cannot walk u can take a taxi even if in my opinion it would be expensive, consider that it cannot cost more than 10euros , so ask for the fare before, but it really deserves believe me

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Carnival Freedom's Med and Greek Isle trip. We can't say enough about the Amalfi Coast -- the rugged beauty and picturesque small fishing villages are no less than amazing. It is a definite MUST SEE!! However, how much of this gorgeous coastline you see depends on which side of the bus you're sitting on. SIT ON THE LEFT SIDE AS YOU ENTER THE BUS (looking at the back of the bus). Get your camera ready because it's one "wow!" after another.

Yes I am still confused on how to spend my day:eek: My question is this..it seems so much of the day(7-4 porttime) is spent in the car Naples to Ravello-Amalfi-Positano and back. I know the drive is gorgeous but is it worth the car time? or would it be wiser to just go to Positano and relax and see more? I wish this port was alonger stay:( Help!!

Lee Anne

Gosh Lee Anne that is a question only really you can answer. Alot of people will tell you that it is better to see one thing and see it completely. Others will say.... see it all a little.

Our experience was we saw Pompeii quite a bit in 2-1/2 hrs. with a private guide. Not the whole thing but alot. Enough for me to get the feel of how it must have been, how they lived their lives and ended them. Then we got to experience three very different villages.... not completely but enough to feel them and know they were each unique and amazing in their own way. The drive is part of the experience in my opinion. It is stunning. Do I have a favorite ? YEP. Gonna go back someday and stay in Positano. But when I do I will visit Ravello and the other areas again too.

Only you can decided which way is best for you..... you will love it either way !!! ;)

PS: Actually when you get back from your cruise there will be a few places you will say " Gee I wish we would have had more time in _______________(fill in the blank) :D I know I did !

We did the 10 hour Legend of the Seas shore excursion to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri because I wanted to see it all-on 4/25, a national holiday. I agree with those who recommend a group tour. I would suggest going to Pompeii as early as possible before all the tours/tourists arrive and do have a guide to explain what you are seeing. We had only 2 hours there, and I could have stayed longer. Capri while intriguing beforehand was incredibly crowded, and it was hard to move around. Possibly if we had gone there first thing it would not have been so bad. Bottom line I would choose Pompeii or Capri to do first, then go to the other towns on the Amalfi Coast, such as Ravello. Be sure to allow plenty of time for traffic on the coastal highway.

Gosh Lee Anne that is a question only really you can answer. Alot of people will tell you that it is better to see one thing and see it completely. Others will say.... see it all a little.

Our experience was we saw Pompeii quite a bit in 2-1/2 hrs. with a private guide. Not the whole thing but alot. Enough for me to get the feel of how it must have been, how they lived their lives and ended them. Then we got to experience three very different villages.... not completely but enough to feel them and know they were each unique and amazing in their own way. The drive is part of the experience in my opinion. It is stunning. Do I have a favorite ? YEP. Gonna go back someday and stay in Positano. But when I do I will visit Ravello and the other areas again too.

Only you can decided which way is best for you..... you will love it either way !!! ;)

PS: Actually when you get back from your cruise there will be a few places you will say " Gee I wish we would have had more time in _______________(fill in the blank) :D I know I did !

Hey Texancruzer geesh I got off my other thread with all that "debating on geography" I had enough. Glad to see you jumped over here too:) I had to laugh when I saw you jumped back in tothat discussion but I'm done with it.

It was all your posts on your "Naples":) excursion that made me call APTOURS so thank you. I must make my decision on the day and just forget it and enjoy. You're right either way I'll have a great time. Thanks for keep answering my same questions.

Lee Anne

Archived