Explorer (former Olympia Explorer) SAS

MLPgh

• 1 month later...

I just read about this program and I am very intrigued by it. What made you decide to do this? I am assuming from your post you are "mature" and not a college student. I am in my late fifties, retired and would be doing this solo. Does anyone have any additional info. I was thinking of either the summer 2005 or the fall 2005 session. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The EXPLORER in question here is the former OLYMPIA EXPLORER of ROC.

Is the former Lindblad/Special Expeditions/A&K EXPLORER (the red one) still going to be called EXPLORER when Noble Caledonia charter her?

If so that will make two ships with the same name - interesting...

• 2 months later...
I just read about this program and I am very intrigued by it. What made you decide to do this? I am assuming from your post you are "mature" and not a college student. I am in my late fifties, retired and would be doing this solo. Does anyone have any additional info. I was thinking of either the summer 2005 or the fall 2005 session. Thanks.

The itinerary helped in my decision as I will be visiting 8 or 9 new countries. I have taken one of their voyages before, a 100 day round the world to Asia, Africa, middle east....

There are still some places left for summer 2005 for the 65 day N. Europe itinerary, the fall voyage would be the 100 day westbound round the world. You can get information at http://www.semesteratsea.com :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi - I was the Librarian on board the MV Explorer last summer. Though I've cruised on other ships before, the voyage was totally different.

We went to 9 countries in Central and South America, and spent 4-5 days in each port. This allows you to really get into the country and see things you wouldn't normally see on a standard cruise ship. (I had the chance to fly to Easter Island during our stop in Chile.)

The main thing you will want to know is that during the fall and spring voyages, there are usually about 800 college age students aboard. During our summer voyage, there were only 300 students, but I think the Summer 2008 voyage will be full, as it's going to the Mediterranean. The intersession cruise in May (to Belize?) will be more older adults and older SAS alumni. In addition, the academic and administrative staff members can bring their families, including children. During our voyage there were 17 people ranging from 4 to 17 years old.

This variety creates a different kind of community, in fact, as Thomas Jefferson called it, an "academical village" where all of the individuals in the community bond. When everyone gets back to the ship from their travels inside a country, it's like coming home and telling your family all about your adventures.

The food is not bad, but then, I'm not really picky when it comes to food. It's served cafeteria style. There is always a vegetarian option or two. The accommodations were fine (I was in a Jr. suite with my mother), and the service for the adult (older than college age) passengers was standard cruise ship service. (I have to say I don't know how the students' accommodations were, since I didn't go into their rooms.)

All in all, it was a wonderful trip. I plan to do it again, next time on a voyage around the world. -- Jean

Archived