Altun Ha with Mark McField

saxmelody

I just wanted to let you all know about a wonderful experience I had. I was just in Belize this past Friday. I had previously reserved a trip with Mark McField for Tuesday, but due to hurricane Ivan our ship was rerouted. I was so sure that I had missed the chance to take this tour. I emailed Mark from the ship once I knew that we would be in Belize on Friday instead. He was very good about changing our reservations for us.

In case you don't know, Mark is an archaelogist who also gives tours of Altun Ha and a few other tours as well. He picked us up right from the shopping center at the port. He then drove us in a nice air conditioned van through part of Belize so that we could see it as we headed to Altun Ha. Be warned that the road to Altun Ha is terrible. The whole thing is one giant pothole. If you miss any holes on the way there, rest assured you will get them on the way back. LOL.

Once we arrived at Altun Ha, he paid our admission to the site and ushered us throuh the gate. He then gave us a brief history of the Mayans as well as of this particular site. He took us around pointing out various things and allowing us an opportunity to ask questions and take pictures. When we were ready to leave, he let us do a bit of shopping there at the site. There isn't a whole lot to buy there, but you can get reasonably priced post cards and bottled drinks.

Once we were in the van, he asked if we would like to stop for some authentic Belizean food. If he offers this, definitely take him up on it. The food was fabulous. The restaurant is owned by a retired Texan who is a real character. The food is all prepared by a lovely lady named Benita who is a fabulous cook and the only waitress. The water is all filtered and safe to drink, which you won't find in much of Belize.

Once we returned to the port and paid Mark, he took us inside to a cigar and liqour store for my friend to buy some cigars. When he found out that this store did not carry my friend's brand, he asked the owner if he knew what store might. He then took us downtown and waited while my friend went in to buy cigars. Once my friend returned and Mark realized he had been given change in Belize dollars, he exchanged the money for him. He then returned us to the port refusing to take any more money from us.

I can't imagine ever finding a better guide or a nicer guy. Our tour of the site as well as the personalized service was a mere $35. I would say that has to be the best buy you will find in Belize. If you're interested , Mark can be reached at MarkMcF@btl.net. Please, if you are going to Belize, book a tour. Otherwise, you are going to get a very bad impression of Belize.

Amy

Thank you Amy for posting this as I have reserved a tour with Mark for the last week in October for the same tour. I had thought about passing on the lunch but my husband is originally from Texas so I think we'll do that so he and the restaurant owner can chat up each other! I get more and more confident that Mark's tour is the best choice every time I read one of these glowing reviews! :)

This Texan is a lot of fun. He is originally from Houston I believe. He is not afraid to tell you his opinion about anything. LOL His wife is Belizean. So, maybe that is how he ended up in Belize.

You just can't go wrong with the food there. There isn't a menu. You just eat what Benita has cooked for the day. We had an incredible stewed chicken with rice and beans. Some of the best chicken I've ever eaten.

You're in good hands with Mark. You'll have a good time and learn a lot at the same time. Wish I could go with you.

Amy

We just got back from the Galaxy-we were in Belize 9/22. Mark McField was our guide in Belize and I can't say enough about his professionalism, knowledge and service. His guidance made Belize the highlight of our trip. I would highly recommend him for anyone traveling to Belize.

If I remember correctly, I believe I paid about $7.00 for the meal and drink. Don't worry, nothing weird on the menu. From what Mark said it is generally either stewed chicken or some type of meatballs. I can't vouch for the meatballs, but the chicken is awesome. The strangest thing I had was fried plantain and it isn't bad. Basically a fried banana. Have a good trip. Wish I was coming too.

Amy

Archived