ok yall 2.0 throughout 2008 one ship per month is the word

hammsz

This whole thread bothers me....I am a 'newbie' to NCL. I am reading and skimming everything I can to get information before I actually leave (things like dress codes, liquor/wine, tenders, sun chairs, specialty restaurant(s), general ship questions) However, even in reading past posts, whether or not they pertain to what I am interested in knowing, sometimes the one specific portion of a question I am looking for is not answered in the threads. Hence my posting what would appear to some as a ridiculous, lazy, stupid question that bothers some who are experienced with NCL.

I find it unfortunate, that for those of us who are trying out a new line, there seems to be intolerance for us trying to find out the rules so we can follow them and not be criticized for being new and not knowing what is going on once onboard. I know I enjoy giving information (no matter how many times) on the line that I am familiar with sailing (different board).

For those who have patiently answered my questions and not berated me for asking, I thank you. Usually it is fun to explore new things (vacations) however, this is not the case with this trip. DH and I are looking forward to a quick, easy get away after nursing my dad 24/7 for 7 weeks before he died. The information that has so politely and patiently been given to me so far has been a great help and is helping me feel like I have already been there.

I apologize in advance to those of you that I offend when I ask questions that have been asked before.

I wish people would take a second to do a little research instead of expecting an answer instantly.

2.0 has been disussed to death on these boards!

Do a Google search if you dont know how to search these forums.

PUT SOME EFFORT INTO DOING SOME BASIC RESEARCH BEFORE ASKING THE SAME QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ALREADY ASKED 10000 TIMES.

It really shows how lazy people are.

Sorry...but it really gets on my nerves.

I don't see any reason to chastise the OP in this manner. Not everone is as familiar wth the boards as you may be. New people to the boards like the OP are just excited about going on another cruise or maybe their first cruise and want to be part of the fun that these boards can bring to us all.

I've noticed recently that alot of people, especially new posters, seem apologetic when asking a question. I assume at least some of these posters have read some of the scathing comments people receive when they ask a question that is perceived by some to be annoying or repetitive and cringe while waiting for a reply. I think that's a shame and only serves to alienate people who like most of us are just seeking information that they have not been able to locate themselves. This ultimately hurts all of us if these people refrain from sharing their knowledge, ideas and opinions for which these boards were designed.

This whole thread bothers me....I am a 'newbie' to NCL. I am reading and skimming everything I can to get information before I actually leave (things like dress codes, liquor/wine, tenders, sun chairs, specialty restaurant(s), general ship questions) However, even in reading past posts, whether or not they pertain to what I am interested in knowing, sometimes the one specific portion of a question I am looking for is not answered in the threads. Hence my posting what would appear to some as a ridiculous, lazy, stupid question that bothers some who are experienced with NCL.

I find it unfortunate, that for those of us who are trying out a new line, there seems to be intolerance for us trying to find out the rules so we can follow them and not be criticized for being new and not knowing what is going on once onboard. I know I enjoy giving information (no matter how many times) on the line that I am familiar with sailing (different board).

For those who have patiently answered my questions and not berated me for asking, I thank you. Usually it is fun to explore new things (vacations) however, this is not the case with this trip. DH and I are looking forward to a quick, easy get away after nursing my dad 24/7 for 7 weeks before he died. The information that has so politely and patiently been given to me so far has been a great help and is helping me feel like I have already been there.

I apologize in advance to those of you that I offend when I ask questions that have been asked before.

Please don't judge the lot of us by one person who is angered by questions. Most of the time you will get courteous responses from people who know firsthand what you are asking about. I've never understood why someone clicks on a thread if they're not interested or if they don't want to help. Ask away and we'll do our best to help. :)

Don't let it get to you . . . I agree with you completely.

Just keep reading and learning and learn from the three billion posts with the same heading -- there will be one thing in each of them you'll pick up on!

Enjoy the cruise and I'm sorry for the loss of your dad.

It would seem to me that the newer ships, jewel, pearl, gem, would not have to make many changes except for the menu's.

They already have the action stations in the buffet, all they would have to add is the champagne and new menu.

The point is it would take very little to switch those ships to 2.0.

The others are a different matter entirely, bedding, setting up actions stations.

But one thing is for sure, all they have to do is change the menus on all the ships at the same time.

I realize that a few of the changes will occur over time, but I don;t think its a big deal on the new ships; JMHO

Please don't judge the lot of us by one person who is angered by questions. Most of the time you will get courteous responses from people who know firsthand what you are asking about. I've never understood why someone clicks on a thread if they're not interested or if they don't want to help. Ask away and we'll do our best to help. :)

Exactly - and those of us looking at another cruiseline appreciate it!

I will be sailing NCL for the first time and am very hungry for any and all information (minus the nasty side dishes)! :D

Don't sweat it, there are always a couple out there!

growlybearsmall.jpgoscartransfer.jpggrump2.gif

It would seem to me that the newer ships, jewel, pearl, gem, would not have to make many changes except for the menu's.

They already have the action stations in the buffet, all they would have to add is the champagne and new menu.

The point is it would take very little to switch those ships to 2.0.

The others are a different matter entirely, bedding, setting up actions stations.

But one thing is for sure, all they have to do is change the menus on all the ships at the same time.

I realize that a few of the changes will occur over time, but I don;t think its a big deal on the new ships; JMHO

So how do we know when a ship has converted to 2.0? Will NCL make it apparent somehow? I will be on the Majesty in late June.

And, to any grouchy cruise critics ... all along (past couple of months since I 1st got interested in cruising) I thought Freestyle dining & 2.0 were one & the same. It wasn't until I read many of these "redundant" threads asking about 2.0 that I realized it wasn't quite the same thing. Thanks to all the redundant posters I have learned something new! This sight is a valuable resource to many - especially to us new cruisers.

There is always someone who will answer you with a snied remark. That goes for all the threads for the various cruiselines. Just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. I stumbled across these boards before I took my first cruise on the Dawn, I didn;t even know they existed. I have learned alot of valuable information. I hope you do too.

One time I was on this board, not NCL thread, got so disgusted that I left for months, I finally wandered back because there are still things you need to know, I don;t care how many cruises you have been on.

Tony, calm down a little: yes, it has been discussed, but look at it this way, many wouldn't have a clue where to start. The program is called freestyle 2.0, if I saw that and was relatively new to the boards I would be totally confused.

Many of us are tired of about 3 or 4 dead horse topics, but to new readers they are not aware the subjects have been beaten to death: dress codes, traveling with babies and toddlers, booze rules, and tipping just to mention a few. Those of us who are veterans do wonder why these subjects pop up every few weeks or even days, but people do want answers and that is one thing many of us do not mind giving.

Nita

you forgot the smoking topic....man does that one get people started....Ha...Ha..Ha..Ha...

Well, the 2.0 thing and this thread (kinda) got me to book a mini on the Jewel Jan 09. Looks like a buddy and his family will book too.

Hey! That's another annoying "grouch" complaint thread.... the "I just booked a....."

Don't you just hate those? :rolleyes:

If someone, like a newbie wants to learn about NCL, they are doing themselves a terrible dis-service by not reading at least the first two pages of messages. They will find information they did not even think to ask. Then they can ask questions and find out more.

But no......, somebody comes along and just asks a question. I am surprsied somebody does not ask "Where do I read the NCL message boards?"

As to those, including me, that get a bit honest from time to time with posters, we do not mind answering questions and helping out newbies, or even long time sailors. But, gee, at least look at the current postings. Search would be nice, but that seems to be too complicated for most, so we can live without folks doing a search.

Actually, search is disabled on the boards right now, and has been for several days. That makes it very difficult for new members of the boards to find the answers to questions that were

One way to reduce the number of questions being repeated would be for the FAQ sticky at the top of this board to have more information, or a link to a website that's kept up-to-date. But since nobody seems to be volunteering to do that (and I can understand why...it's a lot of work!), you're likely to keep seeing questions asked and re-asked.

The simple solution if it bothers you is to skip those threads. :)

I know what 2.0 is, but I've not read where it is only 1 ship per month. I thought it was all to be completed by the summer of 2008. If it is only 1 per month, they must not be doing very much.

Hey Cyber-Sister! I heard they aren't doing your ship 'cause you're on it! :eek: :eek:

Awww, you know I'm joking! Saw you posted here so I wanted to give you a hard time.

I did a google search last night on the 2.0 stuff and came up with quite a bit of information. However, I didn't see anything "official" that said they were rolling it out on one ship per month. I will expect a FULL report on NCL from you though!

Luv ya!

(and no kazakamis, eh, kamakamas, eh . . . on that cruise in June without the rest of us!)

A very unofficial way to get an idea when a ship may be converted is to view the NCL schedules. From their home page choose advance search, select the entire date range, and the ship you are interested in checking. Once you get the results sort by Sail Date. For example for the next 14 months the Dawn only has a break in schedule the third week of April and the Spirit is not sailing the first three weeks of Nov. Of course as we have seen over the past few weeks NCL and Apollo are apt to change a ship schedule at a moments notice.

A very unofficial way to get an idea when a ship may be converted is to view the NCL schedules. From their home page choose advance search, select the entire date range, and the ship you are interested in checking. Once you get the results sort by Sail Date. For example for the next 14 months the Dawn only has a break in schedule the third week of April and the Spirit is not sailing the first three weeks of Nov. Of course as we have seen over the past few weeks NCL and Apollo are apt to change a ship schedule at a moments notice.

Ok, I just did that but, unless I missed something, didn't find a single break in Majesty's schedule. I looked up to Jan '09. Does that mean they might have already converted her? Or maybe they won't get to her until sometime in '09??

but the press release said that all changes and upgrades would be in place by the summer. So, where does that leave the Spirit? The menu changes could be done in a matter of minutes, couldn't it? What about bedding? Action stations may have to wait until November.

Because I am sailing on the Star in April and when I see a post concerning 2.0 I read it to see if there is any news on when the Star might be converted. But I dont go in 10 times a day and ask "Has 2.0 been implemented on the Star". I do exactly what I suggested other people do..I READ THE POSTS to get the answers I need instead of asking questions that can be answered by doing some basic research.

Even if the search function doesnt work, all you have to do is skim through the existing threads and it is on there numerous times. I just feel folks would rather constantly ask certain things than go to the trouble to check the previous threads to see if there is an answer.

How many times do we have to read:

"Can I bring liquor on board?"

"Can I bring water and soda on board?"

"What is Freestyle 2.0?"

"What is an upsell?"

"Which restaurants charge a surcharge?"

etc etc

I think that is one of the reasons the boards are always so slow. They are clogged up with so many people asking the same thing time after time even if the answer is in a thread that was created a few minutes earlier.

And a lot of these answers can be found at NCL.com but people dont want to have to actually do research.

That is my opinion and I have every right to it.

Maybe you could give us a list of the topics you want to discuss so we don't clog the boards up!!

I wish people would take a second to do a little research instead of expecting an answer instantly.

2.0 has been disussed to death on these boards!

Do a Google search if you dont know how to search these forums.

PUT SOME EFFORT INTO DOING SOME BASIC RESEARCH BEFORE ASKING THE SAME QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ALREADY ASKED 10000 TIMES.

It really shows how lazy people are.

Sorry...but it really gets on my nerves.

Do something different: Be a mensch! How long would it take you answer? No longer than it takes you to post a snotty response.

If your time is so darn precious, then what are you doing wasting it on a cruise board?

they answer all the questions. Especially the original Freestyle Cruising with everyone in navy, swim suits at the pool checking watches together, then go to get into formal wear & then come down the staircase in unison & then the funniest is eating in the dining room at huge tables with soup spoons again in unison. Then they show Freestyle for folks to eat when they want, with whom they want, at the restaurant that they want. But they do not state any reservations needed which isn't Freestyle. So I am told since we eat 4-5:30PM daily that we can get into any restaurant without reservations. It is peak time that needs it.

So from what my TA tells me, Balcony & minis have their own check in area, champagne welcome with escort to our stateroom, but if they re not ready til after lunch then how? Sea Pass cards are color coded by accomodation, not Latitude level. Buffets are healthier with the stations with cooked to order food served to you. So we are happy with this. Ih ate folks making us ill with their bad manners.

New bedding, but not sure when. RCCL did 4 ships a week, with bedding put on the ships & then by top floor down they were changed in the rooms daily. Funny to watch mattresses flying into dumpsters at port. So NCL may do the same.

I am very excited for our Bermuda from NYC cruise 4/27. No formal wear, so one less piece of luggage for us. FREE laundry, so we could do carry on with 4 outfits with swimwear, shorts & tops. At 5am on DAY 4 I do laundry for the rest of the cruise. I carry a small bottle of Tide with 2 dryer sheets, just in case. On RCCL we just used our steamer to freshen clothes after wearing them to do it again the following week. No laundry unless you want to pay thru the nose for it.

New cruisers are another great addition to cruising. I love to assist folks to have the best time. WE HAVE MADE FRIENDS WITH 27 CRUISES THAT WE STILL CRUISE WITH & TALK TO. Unfortunately, there are jerks here too that you just ignore.

Email me via Vcard anytime for personal info needed.

Archived