Advice needed - Headsets of the Vatican Tour - must backtrack and return?

We are planning to reseve the 2-hr Guided Vatican Tour conducted by the Vatican Museum itself for May 2008. I understand the tour participants are supplied with headsets for easy listening to the guide.

1. I would like to ask those who have taken this tour recently: whether you have to backtrack and return the headsets to the entrance or the Vatican appointed guide will collect the headsets from the participants at the end of the guided tour?

If need to backtrack and return, then will not be able to take the short cut to the St Peter's Basilica.

2. How do you find the usefullness of the headset?

3. Additional comments about the Vatican guided tour will be appreciated.

Many thanks

tonghua

We are planning to reseve the 2-hr Guided Vatican Tour conducted by the Vatican Museum itself for May 2008. I understand the tour participants are supplied with headsets for easy listening to the guide.

1. I would like to ask those who have taken this tour recently: whether you have to backtrack and return the headsets to the entrance or the Vatican appointed guide will collect the headsets from the participants at the end of the guided tour?

If need to backtrack and return, then will not be able to take the short cut to the St Peter's Basilica.

2. How do you find the usefullness of the headset?

3. Additional comments about the Vatican guided tour will be appreciated.

Many thanks

tonghua

One more question.

How was your experience of the "line" when you took the Vatican Tour? I know that you would bypass the long line when you have the reservation confirmation. Do you still have to line up for security check?

Many thanks

tonghua

When we did this last September, we had a 10:30 appointment and were told to be there 30 minutes before. When we arrived at the front of the really long line, there was another area for those with reservations to wait. When our time came, they checked our names off of a list. We went into the Vatican and then went to the windows on the left to pay for the tour.

We were then asked to wait in a little area near there. Our tour guide came around with the headsets and we each took one. As we went through the Vatican, I had problems with my knees and tended to fall behind the tour, but I could still hear what she said, so that was great. She was very informative, but the tour only does the upper floor of the Vatican.

At the end of the tour, before deciding whether to go into the Sistine chapel, or to see the lower floor of the Vatican, she asked us for our headsets.

Well worth the trouble for the reservation and having the headsets was great. Enjoy your tour.

Archived