9/11 Wind 11 day sailing

Vdubbeetle1972

Just back about 12hrs ago from our first cruise on the Wind. I'm going to be completely honest about my experience as I feel thats what needs to be told. We did two days before in Honolulu at the Radisson Prince Kuhio. Hotel was nice and good price. We paid a little bit more money to upgrade to oceanview. I was very happy with this hotel and we stay their again. Transportation too hotel and hotel to ship was also very smooth.

Now the ship.. the Bad...

This ship is by no means a new ship, those who have sailed no what Im talking about. There are place all around the ship that are showing major distress. This ship is small so keep that in mind for people that haven't been on another ship. This ship also seems to be understaffed. We met another couple who took this same ship in Alaska a couple years ago and they said this was by far worse than their previous experience. Service is slow in dining rooms, taking as long as 3hrs to eat dinner. As for waiting to eat that was a realitive easy and smooth process. Just make reservations..

We ate at all the resturaunts, including Sports Bar and Grill, Terraces, Four Seasons, Trattoria, The Pizzeria and Le Bistro. Le Bistro was the best, but thats 15 extra dollars, Trattoria was just a small step down.., then a tie for Four Seasons and Sports Bar, and a terrible last for Terraces.

Terraces the SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE. We ate their 3 times during our cruise and all three were bad. 3x I don't go back there. Food was cold, Wait staff was rude, and they were ungodly slow.

The good :D :D

Its a 11 day cruise in Hawaii what can't be good about that. The food in Trattoria was AWESOME, and we experienced good service everytime we ate there. Pizza from the Pizzeria at 12am is also good.. Le Bistro is worth the money, you must eat their at least once. Chocoholic Buffet was neat and bring your camera. Room service is also nice, btw you can get stuff the resturants are having just asking for a menu.

Entertainment, the Comedian was HILARIOUS!!!! Jean anne Ryan company put on 4 shows on our voyage and they were all verry entertaining, and the Matagi Polynesian Cast is also very good. I would recommend seeing it all.. Their is a couple that sings and plays guitar in the Observatory Lounge in the evenings that was veRRY good and we were their often.

Bar staff was very friendly and quick to bring you drinks w/generous amounts of liquor. Coke card is worth the money if you drink lot of soda, I got by on Tea.

The ship and ports.. The ship was ok and thats the best I can say. I didn't hate it, just wasn't what I had envisioned. We stayed in a Cat. C 6225 room and it was fine, big enough for us. Housekeeping took care of us also and we got towel animals 3 nights. Every port we got off and enjoyed the port the fullest we could. Fanning Island is a very neat place and its sad that NCL will be leaving those people. Definitely go see the private beach, its only 20$!!! Excursions were also awesome.. this is what we did.

Hilo- Rented car and went to Volcanoes national park..must see!

Kahuli, Maui - Wildlife Sanctuary Snorkel - it was substituted for our other excursion but was still nice.

Lahania,Maui - The zipline adventure was EXTREMELY fun, goes by fast but was fun!!

Nawilliwilli, kaui - Kipu Ranch atv adventure was also a ton of fun, even my girlfriend enjoyed herself on this excursions.

Kona - Captain Zodiac Snorkel was another very good excursion and was also a lot of fun. We got back from the excursion, my girlfriend went shopping I then rented a jet ski and took that out for 1/2 hr.

All in all I can't say it was a bad vacation.. I had a great time. I hated going home but theres always time now to look forward to the next. Would I reccomend sure, just don't go expecting a glamourus ship. There was people on the ship that were far more unhappy some extremely unhappy. The ports are very good and the price of the cruise was nice. If theres any questions please ask and I hope you all enjoy this review.

Sorry for bouncing around just running with information I had off the top of my head.

Hi there

Thanks for the interesting comments, good and bad, about the Wind.

I hope you don't mind my asking but I see you were in a cabin on Deck 6 (Atlantic). Do you get any noise from people using the jogging track on Promenade above? We are thinking about doing the 10 day itinerary next September and not sure which cabin grade to book. Since we're travelling all the way from England, we can't afford to upgrade too far. I would have quite liked Deck 6 except I was a bit worried about the track being directly overhead.

Thanks and best wishes

Ann

We heard noises they weren't loud at all, we couldnt figure if it was from the hallway or the deck above though. Deck 6 is a nice deck to be one, when you arrive that is the deck you embark on. When you tender and arrive at all the other ports you get off on four, so that might help also when choosing your room.

Somethings I also might add to my reviews is we also did Hawaiian Majesty Massages at the Mandra Spa. I felt and so did my GF, that they were excellent and worth the money we paid... Their is also plenty of entertainment on this ship to keep you busy the entire time. You shouldn't get board on those 4 days at sea.

Good Luck

Thanks for your review, the good and the not so good! People need to see this, and then take things in stride.

We were on the Wind last Oct. and it was nice enough, shortly after refurbishment. We're going on this 11 day next April. I agree, it isn't the best ship, but I'm still going for the 2nd time! The price and itinerary make it for me! It seems the older, smaller ships, are a bit disappointing to people, but that's why they're usually cheaper!

Good points! Should help others! :)

Archived