Cruising and Potty Training

kalley79

I am going on the Carnival Triump in April. I will be traveling with my son who will be almost 3. So far he is potty trained during the day. We haven't yet adventured in public without a diaper on though. He also still wears one during the night and naps. He won't pee standing up, and won't go on an adult toilet yet. I really don't want to lug a full size potty chair onto the ship so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I did buy the On The Go Potty ( http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401482 ). While I think this is great, he pees a lot and it takes plastic inserts that could get VERY expensive. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I plan on him attending Camp Carnival. Do they have small potty chairs there or is it a larger potty? I just want to make sure that if he is unwilling to use their potty's that I have enough diapers for the week.

Thanks for your help.

-Kellie

HI Kellie-my 2 year old is potty training and I am taking a fold up portable potty seat with me when we go in two weeks...looks kind of like this but ours is Dora-it is flat and folds compactly enough to fit in a diaper bag...I think I bought it at Target

http://www.amazon.com/Ginsey-Sesame-Street-Folding-Travel/dp/B00076SL0I

We cruised for the first time when our youngest daughter was 2 and a half and recently potty trained. We also travelled with a fold up Dora potty seat and had her wear pull-ups at night so that she wouldn't have an accident in the bed. She didn't use the kid's club on that cruise at all. However, she did use the kid's club on the Diamond Princess when we cruised last summer when she was nearly 4. I don't want to alarm you, however, I was a little concerned about her using the bathroom in the kids club because the staff was not allowed to provide any assistance whatsoever. The sinks and everything were kid sized but she needed to be able to manage her clothing, toilet paper, flushing etc. by herself. Fortunately it was never an issue, we always made her use the bathroom in our stateroom before dropping her off and she never had to go there. I would recommend finding out what Carnival's policy is re potty training and whether staff can assist if necessary.

I keep the On the Go in my car. It has saved me ( my daughter) many times.

It is small and some children don't like it being so low. Make sure your child will use it - practice with well before your trip.

The bags aren't so bad - But I've only used it for emergencies. The "pad" in the bag is absorbent but not super absorbent. You could throw paper towels in a grocery store plastic bag or use some other absorbent pad. (I'm sure once you see the bags you will come up with your own ideas.)

When I travel it is in my backpack or large purse. One tip is to pre-load the seat with the bag and then fold it up. It will always be ready quickly as soon as you fold out the legs.

Good Luck!

When I potty trained my daughter we found it was easier to take along a potty ring that you put on top of a standard toilet. it was cushioned in made the seat more kid size. fit easily in a backpack and was easy to keep clean. keep in mind that toilets on ships are usually vaccum flush and are pretty loud. i would flush after my daughter was out of the bathroom so she wouldn't get scared.

Hi, Kellie -

PMF a slight thread drift, but ...uhhh...if you want your son to pee standing up, have you tried the Cheerios method?

Another mom turned me on to this...just take your son into the bathroom, raise the toilet lid, let him toss a handful of Cheerios in the toilet, and...ready, aim, fire! The goal is to sink the Cheerios while standing up, of course.

It took my son one episode of Cheerios and he was hooked on standing up to pee.

Just a thought!

Best regards,

Nancy

Archived