Carnival Destiny

SEANERIK

I went last year. I am going again!! The ports are my big draw can you believe the Islands. Next year the same Islands will be done but the ship will be different so I will probably do it again. I am leaving 03/23/08, I am way exited..

Okay so if you have been reading you have probably heard complaints about the ship, sure it's old could use some remodleing but the staff is outstanding, the food was good and the bed was comfortable what more could you want. There will always be people who are never happy.

I am new to message boards but if you have any specific questions just ask. I'll be back..

Anyone who has sailed on the Carnival Destiny lately? I am going in May 2008 and would like some feedback on the ship & ports of call. :D

We are going on the Destiny May 4th. Come on over to the roll call boards and find your date. I'm sure you will find some info on the ports of call and excursions.

We went the week of Feb 17th....last week at this time we were taking off from Dominica Republic! The island a day is what drew us to this cruise. We had fun on every island we went to. In St. Thomas we had a blast snorkeling. Dominica is a beautiful, lush island with spectacular waterfalls and hot springs to enjoy! I highly recommend Levi Baron's Bumping Tours for this island. On St. Kitts we enjoyed the day at Frigate Bay and then some shopping...the people on the island are very friendly! Barbados was probably our favorite island. We did the Best of Barbados Tour with Glory Tours and thoroughly enjoyed everything we did. The swimming with sea turtles was the end of a great day there!!! Dominican Republic was great for us...We spent the day at the beach and the night before we went to Altos de Chevon, The Artist's Village and was very impressed. We thought each of the islands each had it's own uniqueness and would love to do this cruise again.

The ship was great...it was our first cruise and we didn't have anything to compare it to. We were on the Lido Deck with a balcony room and thought it was awesome. The ship seemed very clean and well maintained. The food was good....not 5 star but still good. And the staff was so willing to please....Igede our cabin stewert and Jesus & Irenya our wait staff were the best!!!

There are some newer reviews posted in the reviews section of these boards- just click on "reviews" at the top right header on this page. Also, there's newer information and reviews posted in the "Attn: Destiny Cruisers...Past and Future" thread here.

My favorite ports were Dominica and Barbados and found the best excursions I've ever taken by using the Ports of Call boards here on Cruise Critic as well. Much better recommended guides than any ship tour I've ever taken.

Good Luck!

HiSean - Now that March is finally here, I'm in countdown mode. I've created my own travel book, its very cute.

Here is my itinerary.

IAD to SJU - United direct fly gets me in at 11 a.m. one day before sailing.

(decent price thru american express website). Hope to spend two full days on the :cool: beach and pool.

San Juan pre cruise - Intercontinental Hotel (gorgeous pool and beach - great deal via priceline).

will also shop for "good" wine :rolleyes: to bring on board at SuperMax. Also stop at Walmart for cheap float.

St. Thomas - Emily - Diving; me -Sapphire Beach

Dominica - emily Diving; me; spa day,stay:eek: on board, walk around local market

Barbados - both of us SilverMoon1 Private execursion (only 12 passengers) catamaran party

Antiqua - Dickerson Bay (beach day) both of us

St. Kitts - emily diving; me - south frias beach (may catamaran again)

St. martin - Bernards Tours (sightseeing, beach and shopping)

All Emily's dives are private execursions

All my beach execursions are private and will include libations of some kind!!

Lisa, me and my family will be flying out of IAD on June 4th to San Juan. I have been having problems locating a hotel with reasonable price. When I do the search it gives me hotels very close to airport with range of $100 or more. We are not familiar with this area, we will be driving from Fort Lee,Va to fly out, but wanted to arrive the day before. Do you have any information about hotels in the area?

Destiny is a great ship compared to others of her age. They keep her up and the staff is terrific. As for hotels I have stayed at the Sheraton, Marriott Mirmar, and Intercontinental. The latter is close to airport and on the beach. We will stay there pre cruise or at El San Juan next door.

Don't know anyone's age but make sure when looking for a hotel in SJU to check senior, aaa and government (military) rates. I booked Sheraton OSJ for our May 4 Destiny cruise. When I went to Sheraton's website the price was $295.00 a night. My DH (and me by way of him) is a member of AARP and I booked the Sheraton for $145.00 using the senior rate.

Lisa, me and my family will be flying out of IAD on June 4th to San Juan. I have been having problems locating a hotel with reasonable price. When I do the search it gives me hotels very close to airport with range of $100 or more. We are not familiar with this area, we will be driving from Fort Lee,Va to fly out, but wanted to arrive the day before. Do you have any information about hotels in the area?

Have you looked into Da House? It is located in Old San Juan. It is about 5 blocks from the pier. We were told when we made the reservations that you can walk to the ship, but it is all down hill. My husband and I will be staying here pre-cruise for one night. I heard about this hotel by reading a review on here from a cruiser, and then visited their website, http://www.dahousehotelpr.com/

It is located above a salsa club, and from what I am reading it is VERY loud at night. But, there are some rooms that are away from the "party" that should be less quiet. We are paying about $92.00 all said and done for the one night. Cheap if you ask me. It looks very cute from the pictures I have seen. Here is a link to about 50+ reviews from people who have stayed there as well as some pictures.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d639686-Reviews-Da_House_Hotel-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

This hotel does have a guest house, but from what I have read it is not that nice. It is still under construction with duck tape on the stairs.... The guest house is also located a few blocks away from the hotel...

Amanda

Archived